2014 Tacoma to share design with HiLux ?

Snarky

Hell Paso
The average male in the US is 200 and the average female is 160. Thats 1/4 the capacity of the current Taco. Just saying... better up grade the Taco.

When the nanobots eat all the gun powder and the emp blast destroys all the electronics, we'll still be able to out sumo wrestle our enemies.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
So true. I bet that all the people in love with the d4d, most would not pony up the extra bills required to purchase it. They say they would, but when it comes time to scratch a check that 4.0 looks pretty good.
Everyone wants what they can't have. I would bet the Hilux love would end if it was sold in the US.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd be first in line to throw my money at Toyota for a 2014 D4D Hilux. I've been saving pennies since the day my truck was paid for 17 year ago and we have driven nothing but a base trim 22R-E Hilux so a new D4D /would/ seem fast and luxury to me!

Clutch

<---Pass
I'd be first in line to throw my money at Toyota for a 2014 D4D Hilux. I've been saving pennies since the day my truck was paid for 17 year ago and we have driven nothing but a base trim 22R-E Hilux so a new D4D /would/ seem fast and luxury to me!

I would guess it would be only a $3-4000 up charge over the gasser. Basing my numbers off what VW charges for their TDI over the petrol in the Touareg.

zolo

Explorer
Everyone wants what they can't have. I would bet the Hilux love would end if it was sold in the US.

I seriously doubt that. Its a stronger truck, no way around that.
In the real world and on paper. It would do well. Fuel mileage with the diesel would be a huge selling point just as it is now with the 3/4 and 1ton trucks.

Clutch

<---Pass
I seriously doubt that. Its a stronger truck, no way around that.
In the real world and on paper. It would do well. Fuel mileage with the diesel would be a huge selling point just as it is now with the 3/4 and 1ton trucks.

Depends on the price point. The Tacoma the way it sits now is getting a little expensive, a basic 4WD and V6 is over $30K....couple grand more you can have a fullsize, with more room, more power, more capacity, same or better fuel economy. The Tacoma has horrid fuel economy, for what it is.

Remember this is America...bigger is better. I know I battle the numbers in my head often...for what I have into my Tacoma, I can get more truck for the same money. I am constantly eyeballing fullsize crew cabs, since it will haul 4 dirtbikes and 3 of my buds and myself with ease. With my Tacoma we have to take two trucks often.

So if the Tacoma received the Hi-Lux's underpinnings and the diesel...guessing the MSRP is going to be high 30's maybe a touch over 40 grand. You can get a basic 4WD Diesel 3/4-1 ton in that price range. Going to be a tough sell to the masses, sure a few enthusiast will line up, but bet the line won't be long though...

Now if Toyota would sell a basic bare bones 4WD Diesel for $25K...they might be on to something. I highly doubt if they could get the price that low though.

Last edited:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I agree with Kermit that the price issue is a big one. When I was truck shopping I looked at everything from a Tacoma to an F-350. The Taco made no sense financially because I could get a better equipped Ford/Dodge/Chevy 1500 with a V8 that gets better mileage for less money. If they bring a diesel to the market, it will have to be really competitive price wise for most people to justify it.

For those commenting on the ride of the Hilux being too rough for the U.S. market, that is an easy solution to solve. Make all the U.S. spec trucks have the same spring/shock combo as the current Tacoma (which by the way doesn't really ride that great to begin with). Then if you need the extra weight carrying capacity make that an option package that increases the payload/GVWR just like the big three do with their HD trucks.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
For those who think a Hilux would not sell well in the US, I would suggest that from 1979 to 1995 we /did/ get the Hilux and it sold just fine. For all the biggest is better, more power, blah, blah, I think you underestimate the US market for simple, fuel efficient trucks. I think they could even sell the Tacoma and the Hilux along side each other as the base level pickup option, just bench seats, 4 cylinders, stick shifts. If you want the nicer stuff and options other than basics like 3RZ or D4D, 2WD or 4WD, step up to the Tacoma.

Clutch

<---Pass
For those who think a Hilux would not sell well in the US, I would suggest that from 1979 to 1995 we /did/ get the Hilux and it sold just fine. For all the biggest is better, more power, blah, blah, I think you underestimate the US market for simple, fuel efficient trucks. I think they could even sell the Tacoma and the Hilux along side each other as the base level pickup option, just bench seats, 4 cylinders, stick shifts. If you want the nicer stuff and options other than basics like 3RZ or D4D, 2WD or 4WD, step up to the Tacoma.

What the retro-grouch's idea of what will work, and Toyota's marketing plan are two different things. :ylsmoke: I don't see too many bare bones trucks running around, if people can qualify for the loan they will go bigger and more power. What I do see is a lot of V6 double cabs, with automatic trannys. A basic 2WD regular cab/manny/4 banger is becoming a rare bird my friend...and you know it. Sure there is a small niche for base model fleet vehicles, even so, that market is dominated by the F-150.

You're just grumpy you can't get what you want...:) I am guessing a 4WD diesel that fetches 30 mpg's, manual hubs, manual windows, manny trans, am radio with real dials, transfer case with a gawd damn lever!!!, vinyl flooring and seats, all for $20K....right? I would buy one, heck maybe two!

The 2012 Hi-Lux is darn near the same size as the Tacoma now, it would make no sense to sell them side by side here in the States. I guess the bloat is happening world wide now, the compact truck might never come back...maybe in the form of a uni-body ute, rumor has it that Scion version is coming, but I can just hear the hard core body on frame enthusiast complaining now...

Since crew/access cabs are becoming more popular than regular cabs. Today a brand new base model double cab V6 4WD is a smidge over $30K, I just don't see how Toyota can get the price point under $35K with going to a beefier frame and diesel, and that is a basic model, once you start adding TRD or Sport packages the price spikes.

Sure I am guessing at the price point, but if I am right that is fullsize truck territory.

Last edited:

Containerized

Adventurer
One thing we're leaving out of the equation is manufacturing. Due to the epically stupid light truck tariff in the U.S. (created by the UAW's lobbyists), it's awfully hard to make money on light trucks manufactured overseas and hit with a 15% import tariff. Toyota could avoid this by bringing Hilux manufacturing back to the U.S. (there was a brief period when Hiluxes were made in the U.S. as part of the NUMMI project), but NUMMI was sold as part of GM's restructuring. This would mean building the Hilux at TMMTX (where the Taco is currently built), a major retooling at a factory that just received a major retooling. A big chunk of the profit margin in foreign-branded light trucks would vanish if they were built overseas (for evidence of this, look at the profitable BMW X5 and Mercedes ML-class, both built in the US, versus less profitable trucks hit by the tariff like the Touareg, which is built in the Czech Republic - though its cousin, the Porsche Cayenne, has enough profit in it to more than justify the platform, while the Touareg has enough volume to bring parts costs under control).

I can see some lessons from the Hilux coming into the design process for the Tacoma, but actually building and selling Hiluxes in the U.S. would be a more major change than one might think at first glance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94