2014 Tacoma to share design with HiLux ?

haven

Expedition Leader
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/08/next-gen-tacoma-could-align-with-hi-lux.html

Automotive News thinks the 2014 Tacoma will share design and engineering with the HiLux, the pickup Toyota sells in other parts of the world. (I think they sell the Tacoma and the HiLux in Iceland. Anyone know of another country where you can by both from a Toyota dealer?)

One issue that keeps HiLux and Tacoma from being identical trucks is that the Tacoma for USA has a 4x4 cargo capacity of about 1400 lb, while the 4x4 HiLux can carry 1800 lb to 1950 lb.

nat

Adventurer
The Hilux is diesel most other places.............that would be the biggest hurdle to having them in the US.

bjowett

Adventurer
The Hilux is offered with the 1GR V6. It also has a properly boxed frame... a very big difference IMO.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wouldn't the issue be all the additional safety equipment US spec vehicles require? Air bags, VSC, etc?

Containerized

Adventurer
bjowett is correct, the 1GR is offered in nearly every Hilux market, though it is pretty unloved here in Africa.

Photo I took of a 1GR-equipped Hilux on a recent trip down to South Africa:

IMG_7784_Small.jpg

There are big differences between the two trucks, and most Americans would not put up with the ride/handling tradeoff the Hilux has made to pull off its extra GVWR. In addition, the Hilux is built somewhat differently, with many more things welded that are clipped/bolted in the Tacoma. I suspect this is because the Tacoma is meant to be repaired when it is damaged (Tacomas live in worlds of garages and body shops), whereas it's expected the Hilux will always just be hammered back into shape until it finally dies. The service intervals that Hiluxes endure (50,000 miles without oil changes?) given their environments (often 95% off-road in a place like northern Uganda or western Kenya or South Sudan) are radically different from the Tacoma's expected life.

Given that the two are unlikely to be built side-by-side in any facility, particularly after Toyota again reshuffles the use of its manufacturing plants in 2014, I don't see many advantages to making the two more similar. If anything, the world of the Hilux is getting more different from that of the Tacoma - still no low-sulphur diesel in many Hilux markets, unlikely the USAID-promised roads in East Africa will come anytime soon, the Tacoma continues to move upmarket and get larger without much added payload capacity (an indicator that it is being designed to carry larger, but not necessarily heavier, loads).

Honestly, it would make more sense for the Hilux's next generation to be more DIFFERENT from the next Tacoma, rather than more similar. And it isn't like many parts are really reused (or many pieces of engineering), as the Hilux is still primarily designed in Japan whereas the Tacoma has substantial California input in its design process...

The Hilux has airbags, though I've never been in a Hilux with TPMS. It is plenty safe, maybe safer than the Tacoma, given that it passes the German crash test standards (which are more rigorous for light trucks than the U.S. standards).

zolo

Explorer
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/08/next-gen-tacoma-could-align-with-hi-lux.html

Anyone know of another country where you can by both from a Toyota dealer?)

One issue that keeps HiLux and Tacoma from being identical trucks is that the Tacoma for USA has a 4x4 cargo capacity of about 1400 lb, while the 4x4 HiLux can carry 1800 lb to 1950 lb.

In Chile you can get the Tacoma and HiLux in the North Zones I believe, and the HiLux only in the South zones. The frame and payload are just 2 things different.
The HiLux is a smaller truck than a Tacoma. The suspension is set up with a proper old school Toyota shackle in the rear instead of the Tacoma inverted style.
I noticed many differences when we rented our D4D in SA. IMO the HiLux is a better more rugged truck to the Tacoma. Also the fuel range was huge over my Tacoma.
That and the payload is worth having one over a Tacoma.

I would be all over it if this were to happen... We will see.

Containerized

Adventurer
zolo - Agree for the most part. We have a bunch of D4D's in the "pool" of vehicles available for work, and I find I take a Hilux over a 70 Series (a 78 TX 3.0D is the other choice in the parking lot, usually) for most things. But, honestly, it does not ride nearly as nicely as a Tacoma without much weight in the bed, which is probably a major consideration for most Americans. However, carrying heavy loads off-road (or on what we call roads here in Uganda), the Hilux is excellent. It also has nice habits on roads that would upset a stock Tacoma's suspension. It lacks certain other pluses of the Tacoma, however - its climate control system is a joke in the heat of the Ugandan or South Sudanese dry season (meanwhile, my U.S.-spec FJ Cruiser kept the cabin cool even in 120F ambient). The quality of trim and "soft" pieces is inferior, including the fabric of its seats (which are often ripped, even when I climb into a Hilux less than two years old). Perhaps the biggest issue that makes the Hilux an overseas-market design is that it is optimized around haulting (bed) capacity rather than towing capacity. I move stuff in the bed, but I never tow anything. In fact, none of the trucks in the parking lot has a hitch. Meanwhile, Americans tend to drive trucks on paved roads and tow things like boats, campers, utility trailers, etc. Big difference that you can see if you look under the two trucks. Hiluxes are designed to carry a LOT of weight in the bed. Tacomas are designed for lighter loads in the bed, but a substantial towing capacity.

zolo

Explorer
Yeah we traversed the Atacama desert in the rental. Standard HiLux D4D mining issue truck and we were in the crappy SA Chile dirt roads mostly. It was a little stiff but I didn't find it harsh after all its a 4x4 truck and the roads were crap. I was amazed at the fuel mileage and the over all rugged set up. Simple and easy to drive.
Even having grown up in the US Id rather have a HiLux over my current Gen Tacoma.
For me the more rugged design the better. I cant get past the composite bed in the current Tacoma. One big reason I went to an all metal flatbed.
Certain things are great about the Tacoma, but Id rather have a metal bed like the HiLux.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I don't care what engine gas or diesel....just give me a true payload...2K and I will be happy

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
I want the boxed frame. Everytime I am under my tacoma and look at my frame I just cringe due to how thin they are. Any pics of the crossmember and shackle setup for the rear of the hilux?

Cam-shaft.

Clutch

<---Pass
I could see it design wise being very similar since the Hi-Lux already shares styling cues from the American models such as the High Lander and 200, however since the 4Runner and supposedly the Tundra are getting more angular treatments, maybe not...

as for the underpinnings..who knows, I think Containerize is on the right track, Americans are too "soft" for the likes of a Hi-Lux, even though it would fill the niches
for the hardcore enthusiast, don't think the US masses would accept it.

M-Toyota-Highlander.jpg

LHD_New_2012_TOYOTA_LANDCRUISER_200_4.jpg

2012-toyota-hilux-630.jpg

Last edited:
The average male in the US is 200 and the average female is 160. Thats 1/4 the capacity of the current Taco. Just saying... better up grade the Taco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles