shakotankei's M101 CDN build

shakotankei

Observer
copying from my thread over on mud:

I've been searching for a 1/4 ton trailer for the last 2-3 years on various sites including my favorite Craiglist . I've contacted a bunch of people and seen a lot of 1/4 tons in various conditions, mostly banged up, rusted, and overpriced. The last year or so I've been searching heavily looking multiple times a day on different sites. Late February I managed to find a post on Clist for a M101CDN located out in Bakersfield within hours of it being posted. The price was a little on the higher end of what I wanted to pay but it was exactly what I've been looking for. got pictures of the trailer (ad didn't have any) to find out that this thing was in really great condition. Owner promised to give me "first shot at it" since I was traveling from Menifee and was genuinely interested so I ran out to Bakersfield super early in the morning with cash in hand and pintle hitch attached to the truck. This is what I ended up pulling home.

IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG

First thing I had done was drop the trailer off at Castle Fabrication in Irvine to get a lid made. Same dude that did Brentbba's lid. Few days later this is what I got.

IMG_1911.JPG
IMG_1909.JPG

shakotankei

Observer
Speeding right along heres some updates from may:

LID.jpg

Painted the inside of the lid white.

IMG_1951.JPG

painted the outside of the lid "dark taupe"

IMG_2022.JPG

painted the trailer. copied Brentbba's paint scheme. :p

IMG_2008.JPG

removed the dim military tail lights and replaced with some sleeved LED tails.

shakotankei

Observer
From June:

California requires license plate light so I picked up some cheap LED deal from vatozone and painted it black.

IMG_2047.JPG

works good enough

IMG_0040.JPG

heres a picture from the SoCal Desert Rendezvous trip

IMG_1861.JPG

heres a picture from June using it to do a storage unit run. riding a little high at the tongue.

IMG_0021.JPG

shakotankei

Observer
Almost caught up! Heres some work from July

thule tracks and rack installed

IMG_0127-001.JPG

Picked up a set of 80 series wheels off craiglist that weren't in great shape...

IMG_0095.JPG

so I sand blasted and painted them :cool:

IMG_0124.JPG

found some rubber for them

IMG_0131.JPG

converted the hubs to lc pattern and threw them on

IMG_0150.JPG

shakotankei

Observer
And here we are caught up to today :elkgrin:

IMG_0159.JPG

Took it down to the shop to see how much it would cost to get the fenders extended out so they wont rub. Looks like its going to cost a couple hundred to have extension pieces bent up to go between the fender and the trailer.:Wow1: I didn't even bother to ask how much they'd charge to make new fenders. :( Maybe a shackle lift will get me the clearance? Don't really want to SOA if possible. Another suggestion was to trim the fenders but I don't know how that will look. Any suggestions?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Trailer looks great, and yes, the fender extension question.
Mine is the same, and I too am looking at options. A friend of mine is making some widened fiberglass reproduction fenders soon...will msg you when he gets the moulds made and a set goes on my CDN M101.
Looks great!

hollaback55

Explorer
i ended up ordering a set of fenders from sierra 4x4. they fit perfect and look great. I had them widened 1" but thats b/c i'm running 37's probably could have gotten away with just slapping them on with no issues.

he's been having some issues lately with getting orders out and projects completed but when i ordered my fenders 9 mths ago they were in my hand 8 days later.

i believe the fenders were 125 bucks if i remember correctly.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very nice!
I like that paint scheme you did.
Bend up some fenders yourself.
Looks great with the cruizer.

Thanks for the idea about the license plate light, Pa requires one too.
It lights up nice.

shakotankei

Observer
Thought about bending up the extensions myself but my cheapy brake wont do 14-16ga. I doubt it would even do 18 well :( Been trying to find someone local in the IE that can do it or even make new fenders. I can't imagine it costing a whole lot to do 4 bends.

Yeah the license plate light is working pretty good. I think its made by PILOT. If you do end up picking one up I suggest taking it apart and changing out the hook up wire. The one it came with was SUPER thin like the stuff you'd find in a telephone cord.
I had mine apart because two of the leds in the array were dim/flickering right from the package so I ended up doing some soldering repair and changed the wire to something a little more durable.

Very nice!
I like that paint scheme you did.
Bend up some fenders yourself.
Looks great with the cruizer.

Thanks for the idea about the license plate light, Pa requires one too.
It lights up nice.

Here's an update from last weekend:

RTT attached

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

It needs a bath badly.
Now that the tent is on I can start making room for it to live in the garage instead of outside.

k294

Can I ask where you sourced your electrical stuff? I'd like to replace my hacked up wiring with an all new loom, including the LED lights and stainless sheaths like you have. Thanks for any pointers.

shakotankei

Observer
My apologies I didn't see that question until just now :(. If anyone was still interested in what I used here goes:

The trailer came wired with I believe was a 5 round plug replacing the original plug so I just chopped off that whole side and wired in one of these
It just looks cleaner vs wiring up at the plug head itself. nice rubber molded plug just seems more durable than a hard plastic plug.

I replaced the dim military tail lights with these. Huge improvement in visibility.
I originally wanted to find some military tail lights that had LEDs in them but no luck finding them at a reasonable price.
I think the left marker has a clear section on the bottom that shines white light for the license plate bracket.
I didn't need it and couldn't disable the white light so I ended up spraying the bottom clear lense section with some rubberized underbody coating I used under the fenders on the trailer so the light wouldnt bleed out and look silly.

For the Loom stuff I ended up using some Techflex 3/8 braided expandable sleeving vs split loom. I hate the look of split loom with zip ties and
I had some extra sleeving from a previous electrical project. You can actually purchase this stuff off places like ebay for a couple bucks for 25 feet sections.
I think I paid like 14 bucks for a 50 foot section recently.

For the License plate light I purchased one of these Be warned though these aren't the best quality.
I actually had to take it apart and resolder some of the Lights because one end of it was flickering and dim out of the box.
That and the wire gauge coming out of was like the thin stuff you'd find inside a telephone cord. So I had taken it completely apart and ended up spraying the chrome black to match my trailer.

Hope that helps anyone rounding up these parts for a build.:wavey:

Last edited:

shakotankei

Observer
And the reason I went back into my thread. Some update pictures:

Picking up a new tent @ SoCal Mountain Rendezvous Oct 2012
IMG_0364.JPG

Death Valley trip Nov 2012
IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG
Result of almost flipping the trailer in Death Valley :eek: