IPAD2 nav help

Zubicon

Adventurer
Just won an IPAD2 wi-fi 16gb. I log anywhere from 1,000 to 2,500 dirt miles a year in both our Rubi and Taco. Here's what I want, the question is how to do it but I don't know jack about IPADS and find them confusing.

1. Mapping: Far prefer National Geographical Topo but I'm open for suggestions. I downloaded NG Topo off the app store but it doesn't seem to go down past 1:100,000 scale.

a. Mapping must be operational without internet connection, for many times due to remoteness I have no signal

b. Mapping must go down to 1:24,000 scale, no exceptions

c. Mapping must have an auto tracker feature

d. Mapping must be able to except the few thousand gpx files that I have for trails in Rocky Mountain Region

2. GPS: I currently have a Handheld Garmin that works fine but I see no way to link it to the IPAD so I'm up for suggestions

a. Preference would be for a bluetooth model if that's possible with a IPAD (I don't have a clue). I like this potential because there should be no cords involved. I hate clutter in the cab

b. I cannot stand Meggelin, I'll never own one again just because their costumer service alone so that brand is out.

3. Accessories: A stand would be nice that I can use in the taco and Rubi, "BUT" the passenger side tumble seat must be functional when it is set up, mine currently is not with the ram system that I have and I emphitcally hate it.
Some sort of protection would be nice too because I'm known to destroy just about anything....to inlcude myself (life flight) lol.

Someboby with the knowledge PLEASE, PLEASE help me, I'm getting frustrated not getting any answers to include from the apple help desk and really feel I could have a killer system but I'm tinkering on selling this and getting a notebook.

Yudda

Adventurer
I just completed this myself:

I used a ram universal Vehicle mount
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...45051049054045049045050051056085/Default.aspx

iPad case...I use the griffin survivor so I needed a iPad mount that would work with it.
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-GB024...144709&sr=1-1&keywords=griffin+survivor+ipad2

iPad mount:
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...77045072079076045084065066056085/Default.aspx

Bluetooth GPS puck
http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The vehicle mount is installed with one bolt.
Gps connected instantly

It was about as easy as it gets.

Good luck

Zubicon

Adventurer
Well I got the chance to go on a run with two people I know to see first hand Motion X, Gaia, and the one I choose hands down "Viewranger". If you like the CD Rom version of NG Topo, you're going to love this viewranger. It is NG topo (cd Rom version) on steroids. It by far covered all my requirements in question 1.

Haven't decided what GPS to go with yet but most definitely I'm going with a gumdrop case to protect it.

Zubicon

Adventurer
Does Viewranger work with a wi-fi only iPad 2 or 3 with an external GPS (e.g. Dual) ?

I'd have to say yes considering that was what we were using.......plus a Bad Elf, which I also just purchased. It also has buddy tracker free of charge.

goughy

Thanks.

I'm waiting for the new Garmin GLO to be available. It looks like it should have some operational advantages over the Dual XGPS150A for about the same price. Of course, the Dual is tried and tested whereas the GLO is as yet an unknown quantity.

Zubicon

Adventurer
Any Garmin product would be at the top of my list. I didn't realize that they had a compatible one coming out or do you have to jailbreak it?

A

agavelvr

A Delorme InReach will serve as your bluetooth GPS and a satellite messanger. I wrote a thread on here about it if you are interested.
The GLO sounds interesting since it is a decent price, but I've never noticed any significant wait time when acquiring satallites.

RobRed

Explorer
A Delorme InReach will serve as your bluetooth GPS and a satellite messanger. I wrote a thread on here about it if you are interested.
The GLO sounds interesting since it is a decent price, but I've never noticed any significant wait time when acquiring satallites.

Yeah - manufacturers are now inventing "needs and improvements" when in fact the added capability has no real world value. Oh wait they have been doing it for years ;)

goughy

The extra satellites provided by the GLONASS system will not help in open-sky situations where 7, 8 or 9 GPS satellites are clearly visible.

In marginal situations where only 3 to 5 GPS satellites are visible and are clustered in a narrow section of sky, the extra GLONASS satellites will greatly improve accuracy. This is the situation in urban canyons and narrow natural canyons, which are probably of more interest to the explorer.

In extreme situations where insufficient GPS satellites are available, GLONASS might make the difference between being able to calculate a position and not.

I doubt GLONASS would improve time to first fix much, unless the GPS visibility was compromised in some way.

However, the ability to obtain increased accuracy in canyon situations is a real world advantage I would be interested in, especially if it was at no additional cost.

RobRed

Explorer
Sure it's all well and good to have the Russian system in addition... maybe we'll see some actual improvement. I'm sure as soon as my current GPS set up fails me I'll be wishing I had it.

EDIT - There may be some sarcasm there :)

Last edited:
A

agavelvr

In marginal situations where only 3 to 5 GPS satellites are visible and are clustered in a narrow section of sky, the extra GLONASS satellites will greatly improve accuracy. This is the situation in urban canyons and narrow natural canyons, which are probably of more interest to the explorer.

In extreme situations where insufficient GPS satellites are available, GLONASS might make the difference between being able to calculate a position and not.

Just as an academic point of interest... I wonder if this device is able to calculate a position using both GPS and GLONASS for a single fix. If so, I wonder how they do it. Seems like you would need two different receivers built in for each sat system coupled with a nice piece of hardware/firmware to make those calcs 10x per second. I know it is doable, I just wonder how they did it for the $100 price point. I wonder if it just presents the data from the most accurate source rather than combine them, hard to tell for sure based on the description of the product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz