My boat trailer axle came off while driving

wl1193

Hi. I need some suggestions and information. I have a 18.5 fish and ski bass boat from very well known bass boat manufacturer. I bought the boat and trailer brand new in 2005. The trailer has one axle.

Earlier today, I was driving on freeway in the far right lane traveling about 55 to 60 mph. I was coming down a hill when my wife said something did not seem right. About a 1/2 second later I felt a thump and felt something dragging. I looked in my driver's side rear view mirror and saw my boat and trailer skidding sideways in the next lane over to my left. The trailer swung back around behind me and I pulled over to the side of the road. I got out of my van and expected to see a flat tire. Instead I saw the axle and the two wheels about 100 yards behind me in the shoulder of the road. The wheels were still attached to the axle.

There were alot of cars nearby and thank God no one got hurt from the trailer or the axle. As far as i know, no cars were hit by the axle.

I am not mechanically inclined so bear with me. The welds that attach the axle to the trailer frame were sheared off. The brackets to hold the axle to the frame had broken off sometime ago unbeknownst to me (there was rust covering the breaks).

The boat appeared to be okay and the 150 Optimax engine appeared to be okay (from a quick inspection). The boat, trailer and detached axle are sitting at a tow yard right now. My boat trailer warranty expired four years ago.

I called my insurance company to make a claim. they hired a marine surveyor to look at he boat and trailer. I should hear something late this week or early next week.

How common or uncommon is it for an axle to come off? Am I right to believe that an axle should not come off while driving especially since I did not crash the trailer into anything? Would you consider it normal wear and tear for the brackets and welds to break?

Any information or insight is appreciated.

Snarky

Hell Paso
Salt water or fresh water?

Probably shouldnt have come off like that. Not unheard of for salt water usage. Fresh though? Should have lasted for 20 years.

Looks like torsion axles? I might have leaf springs and a traditional axle mounted to avoid another failure in the future. Not to say torsion axles are bad, but the way those appear to be mounted seems crap.

tclaremont

Observer
For the cost of a boat trailer I would not put another second's thought into it. Go find another one and never look back.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I'd be looking square at the manufacturer. I cannot imagine any case where a 7 year old trailer would have had the axle shear off like that unless it was rotted out, and that does not appear to be rotted out.

clix

Hi. I need some suggestions and information. I have a 18.5 fish and ski bass boat from very well known bass boat manufacturer. I bought the boat and trailer brand new in 2005. The trailer has one axle.

Earlier today, I was driving on freeway in the far right lane traveling about 55 to 60 mph. I was coming down a hill when my wife said something did not seem right. About a 1/2 second later I felt a thump and felt something dragging. I looked in my driver's side rear view mirror and saw my boat and trailer skidding sideways in the next lane over to my left. The trailer swung back around behind me and I pulled over to the side of the road. I got out of my van and expected to see a flat tire. Instead I saw the axle and the two wheels about 100 yards behind me in the shoulder of the road. The wheels were still attached to the axle.

There were alot of cars nearby and thank God no one got hurt from the trailer or the axle. As far as i know, no cars were hit by the axle.

I am not mechanically inclined so bear with me. The welds that attach the axle to the trailer frame were sheared off. The brackets to hold the axle to the frame had broken off sometime ago unbeknownst to me (there was rust covering the breaks).

The boat appeared to be okay and the 150 Optimax engine appeared to be okay (from a quick inspection). The boat, trailer and detached axle are sitting at a tow yard right now. My boat trailer warranty expired four years ago.

I called my insurance company to make a claim. they hired a marine surveyor to look at he boat and trailer. I should hear something late this week or early next week.

How common or uncommon is it for an axle to come off? Am I right to believe that an axle should not come off while driving especially since I did not crash the trailer into anything? Would you consider it normal wear and tear for the brackets and welds to break?

Any information or insight is appreciated.

It's common if your boat has ever seen saltwater. I lost an axle on my boat trailer and a co-worker had the same happen to him.

clix

Salt water or fresh water?

Probably shouldnt have come off like that. Not unheard of for salt water usage. Fresh though? Should have lasted for 20 years.

Looks like torsion axles? I might have leaf springs and a traditional axle mounted to avoid another failure in the future. Not to say torsion axles are bad, but the way those appear to be mounted seems crap.

Mine came off 4 years old and I fished saltwater from time to time.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Wonder if the tire blew before or after the axle came loose. Did the flat tire drop the axle so it was on the ground (or catching) to jerk that axle loose?

wl1193

I don't know if the tire blew before the axle came off. The tire could have been cut as it ripped off a fender. Or it could have blew first. I did not feel the tire go out before I felt the thump.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
looking at the pic it appears that it was cracked for awhile. if I'm looking at the right part the broken piece/tab is already rusted. If it had just snapped the metal would still be shinny. I'm wondering if you had a blow out and the intense wobbling finished off what little weld was left and it just tore right off. On that note if the metal cracked above the weld then it may have been a heat issue when they welded it at the factory.

navigator

Adventurer
that axle never seeing salt water should have never come off.
To me that looks like a bad weld that rusted due to exposure but it is hard to tell from the pictures.
If there was not an accident at some point then it is faulty workmanship.
That being said my bass boat/trailer is 15 years old and has seen a lot of salt water in the past 5 years.
I think I'll go check my shackle welds.

I would follow up with my dealer. Ranger is one of the larger more well known bass boat MFG. Whomever their trailer dealer was at that time should take care of that trailer. It would also be interesting to see if there have been other claims made as well.

wl1193

I have done some research since this happened. Apparently there have been others who have had bad axles and brackets and needed to get them replaced. No recall was ever done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior