contractor rack = soft sided pop up?

Gunnar1971

Wanting to add a contractor rack to my truck for work purposes and it is a huge plus if I can add a few goodies to it and have a sleeping area when we go out prospecting. The basics will be 2 flip down, fold out sides for sleeping, 2' - 2' 6" depending on rack height (supported with legs like a rooftop tent), and a slide up "pop top" for head room 2' - 2' 6" (the rack would sit about 6" above the roof). There is a local boat cover manufacturer that will make a canvas cover to go over it.

Googling it brought nothing near what I was looking for, so I was wondering if anyone had experiences with something along these lines and any suggestions / criticisms are welcome.:)

First drawing doesn't show the pop-top, it would be about 6' 6" floor to ceiling when opened up. And the fold outs would be angle iron or square tube with expanded metal screen material.

Rackmockup011.jpg

expandedmetalscreen.jpg

The next one shows the height levels and the pop top would be possibly aluminum c-channel with a couple of pins to hold it in place and some type of side to side bracing.

Rackmockup021.jpg

Here is the truck it is going on, 1989 D350 1 ton, Cummins, 5 speed, dually.

Clementine001.jpg

Clementine002.jpg

gonna see if I can figure out google sketchup and make the plans look less 8 year old-ish....:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior