ATV trailer

legionnair

Well this is my first post, I have been on the search for a tent trailer that with take mild offroading and yet still be in the 1000lbs mark. So after looking at my budget (almost nothing) and the requirments I need ie big enough for a family of four and four dogs. I have becided to build my own tent trailer. I am starting with a single axle ATV trailer which weighs 600LBS. I am in the process of purchasing a CVT Mt. Hood tent. The dogs will get a 4x4 insulated room with full venting. I am still desiding on type of skin to cover it in maybe you guys can help? But I will also install a propane fridge, exterior kitchen area. 20gallon water tank with 12v pump and a solar battery tender..
Yhats enough pf a list for now
Please add you two cents

Dustin

Attachments

• 20120805_103037.jpg
    20120805_103037.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20120805_153453.jpg
    20120805_153453.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20120805_153502.jpg
    20120805_153502.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 7

legionnair

Haha flip phone, I don't know why it does that its a Samsung galaxy 2 but for some reason it sends the files so they are up side down if I don't take them right. Oh well, I am looking at siding material cause I am boxing the whole thing in. I was going to aluminum checker plate it 0.063" think, or look at this plastic board it comes in 4x8 sheets at home depot and is $50 versus $151 for aluminum? Opinons ?

Thanks
Dustin

gordinho80

Adventurer
Curious as to what the plastic board is. I'm boxing my trailer and I'm using 2" angle on the corners. I was going to do 1"x6" beams for the walls. But this plastic board sounds interesting.

legionnair

Curious as to what the plastic board is. I'm boxing my trailer and I'm using 2" angle on the corners. I was going to do 1"x6" beams for the walls. But this plastic board sounds interesting.

I tried to find it on homedepots website but its not on there it about 0.100" thick and is smooth on one side but like a light plaster texture on the other. I was thinking do the sides with that and front and roof in aluminum to cut cost

Dustin

Bill Beers

Explorer
I think you're going to be pretty tight on your weight requirement: trailer + tent + water, (not counting the tank itself,) and you're already over 900 lbs. Throw in four dogs, propane, etc, and I think you'll be over 1K pretty quick.

Is the 1K limit for off-roadability, or are you limited by the axle on the trailer?

legionnair

I think you're going to be pretty tight on your weight requirement: trailer + tent + water, (not counting the tank itself,) and you're already over 900 lbs. Throw in four dogs, propane, etc, and I think you'll be over 1K pretty quick.

Is the 1K limit for off-roadability, or are you limited by the axle on the trailer?

I know I will be over 1k, trailer gvw is 1800. I bet loaded I will be around 13-1400lbs. Its more for mild offraod not rock crawling
The 1k goal was just to keep it in check cause I could really go over board. Four dogs weigh about 100lbs. I was think 1k unloaded no water and no propane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles