Obligatory New FJ Post

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Short story long, I was talking to a realtor about leasing a building to work on my projects and hopefully get a hot rod shop going, or at the very least make some headway towards it. Unfortunately, they decided to screw me over last Friday, and since that was my last option for renting a place and I won't be staying here long enough to make building worthwhile, well, that's the end of that.

So, as much as I hated to blow my savings, I needed some kind of distraction. Monday, I was dicking around on Craigslist and came across an '87 FJ 60 for sale in my town. I called the owner up so I could go look at it, figuring I'd lose interest once I saw the interior and drove it since it has 252,800 miles. But, aside from needing a slight tune-up, it runs like a top and I was hooked as soon as I drove it.

I think whoever's had it has taken pretty good care of it, but it's far from perfect. I've got a handful of things to do to it.
-Replace the windshield and fix a leak
-Tune-up the engine and fix all the open ports where a PO removed the smog equipment
-New tires
-Fix the A/C
-Repair the cancer in the RR wheel well, about the size of two credit cards
-Hopefully get the dents and dings popped out with paintless dent removal
-PO hacked the front doors to install speakers
-PO welded both bumpers on and blocked the port for the spare tire hoist (with it still underneath, of course)
-Replace front seats

I couldn't wait to put a lift on it until I saw how much they cost. :Wow1: Even with almost bald tires it goes pretty well, so I'm anxious to see how it will do with new ones and a lift. Granted, it's got 31.5" tires (29" stock) and add-a-leaves, but I was surprised by its break-over angle. There have been a few times where I thought it was going to high center, but didn't even rub.
P8044435800x462.jpg

P8044432800x514.jpg

Last edited:

CLynn85

Explorer
Congrats on the new rig, looks great!

Is this the trussel over Big South Fork? How far down the trail did you go? What kind of shape is it in? We ran it in 2005 in my Jeep and it was a lot of fun, been wanting to go back since but wasn't sure if it's gotten too bad now. Sorry for the tangent.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Is this the trussel over Big South Fork? How far down the trail did you go? What kind of shape is it in? We ran it in 2005 in my Jeep and it was a lot of fun, been wanting to go back since but wasn't sure if it's gotten too bad now. Sorry for the tangent.

Good eye. That trail's a pretty big sore spot for us locals. You remember the creek crossing about 1.5 miles past the bridge in this picture? They closed everything past it to vehicular traffic in '07 or '08; only horses, hikers, and bikers are allowed across the creek now. Now that horses almost exclusively use the trail past White Oak (the creek), it's a bloody mess. The soil is so loose as to make the trail all but impassable for foot and bike traffic. :violent-smiley-031:

However, there is a quasi-off road park that's opened up here since 2005.
http://www.brimstonerecreation.com/

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Figured out what I'll do about my front seats. The driver's foam is broken down, and even if it weren't, I find these seats extremely uncomfortable to drive in. Even with it leaned all the way forward, the seat leans too far backwards for me to rest my head/shoulders against it. End result is the base of my neck between my shoulders gets really tight after driving for a while.

Conversely, the seats in my '04 Matrix XRS are some of the most comfortable I've sat in, even on cross country trips. The passenger seat also folds flat with a plastic tray in the back for holding a laptop. Fortunately, the junkyard where I work has a Vibe with a good set of front seats. Alas, the Vibe seats are black instead of gray like the ones in my Matrix and a little faded from the elements, but I should be able to find some Matrix covers for them. I hate not to keep it original, but I can live with updated seats.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Half way tempted to go with this paint scheme whenever I get around to repainting my FJ.

IvanStewartToyota_001.jpg

For those of you having a hard time visualizing it, here's a similarly-painted FJ 60 that ARB did.

ARB_FJ60.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier