VW- touareg v8

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
Check out the forum www.clubtouareg.com for lots of great info on Touaregs.
I have a V6 Touareg, and it's been rock solid. As for what year to get, look for the 2nd generation or "T2".
There were some issues with older Touaregs that were ironed out after 2007.

I've had great fun with mine, it's got plenty of power but I don't tow with it.
If I did, I would go with a V8.

As with any fine German engineered car it is not cheep to fix, so keep that in mind when you consider a Touareg.
Some points to look for are;
V6's use timing chains and V8's use a timing belt.
Alternators are "Water Cooled" so replacements can get pricey

As I said, mines been rock solid.
It's great offroad.071.JPG

Dogmann

Observer
I have a 97 Suburban and a 2001 jeep Cherokee for rough stuff

I need a good reliable fairly maintenance free car for the soccer mom wife. I was looking at the Touareg and the Honda pilot

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
My wife will tell you to get the Touareg, she absolutly loves it.
However the V8 isn't the moste economical SUV on the market.
I don't care for the Pilot, but it has the Touareg beat hands down on milage.

Adirondack

In case you are still looking one year later:

I have a 2004 Touareg V8 I bought to replace my 2007 four door wrangler that was totaled in a roll over. It has decent clearance with the air suspension, low range and center diff lock, making it about as capable as my wrangler was. The most important benefit to me is that it handles much better on the road, which means I'm not as likely to get a phone call at work from a stranger telling me that my pregnant wife and son were in an accident and en-route to the hospital.

I get ~16.5 mpg mixed driving with a Thule Evolution 1600 car top carrier on the Touareg, which is slightly better than I was getting in the wrangler V6. The Touareg packs a lot more punch in the skinny pedal though!

The Touareg has not been without it's fair share of issues, but none have left me stranded: fixed tiptronic shifting sensor $100 (ecs tuning), fixed variable intake control arms $80 (gruvenparts), replaced suspension compressor piston seal and o-ring $30 (ebay), replaced flickering xenon headlight bulbs $150 (ecs tuning), repaired air conditioning leak $150 vacuum pump $50 r134a $40 AN fittings $15 drier, replaced alternator - battery cable $10 (ecs tuning). Parts and repairs can be had and done relatively cheaply if you can wrench a little yourself and find deals on VW's clearance parts site, amazon, ecs, etc.

Won't get rid of it until it dies or my family outgrows it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles