Overland Adventure vehicle thoughts and advice needed -

MINO

Adventurer
Long time reader - first time poster. I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I've been in the planning stages of a year long cross country adventure and need some input. I had done a cross country roadtrip a few years ago for a few months, but being in a sports car didn't allow me to head off the beaten path as much as I would've liked (I got 2 feet into Monument Valley and the bottom of my car scraped). So, when I returned, I immediately started to get my next adventure set by picking up a nice FZJ80 and started prepping it for a one man adventure to Prudhoe Bay, AK.

Then life happened. I reconnected with my ex (and our awesome cat), and now I'm planning a trip for the three of us across North America and Alaska (4-season trip). But what do we use? I'd love an Earthroamer, GXV or the like but I have a slight budgetary issue.

THE 80
I began by considering what I already started to build - the Land Cruiser. I wanted to go places way off the path, yet still be able to park in places like Manhattan without much headache. I priced out about $15000 in additions to get it where we would all be somewhat comfortable: onboard water, water heater, Maggiolina or Campteq RTT, custom storage, armor, fridge etc. The only expenses I would need to worry about would be basically gas, maintenance, repairs, etc. Space would be tight, but I enjoy the balance of gear loading and go anywhere ability of the LC. We already use it for camping for days at a time without the planned additions - and it's been quite good. Problem is, am I blinded by the fact of how much I love this rig? Maybe it's not as capable as I think? How much longer past 212k miles will this thing last??

THE SPORTSMOBILE
I'd been looking at these for a long time. It's like my 80, but on steroids. However, looking at a few of the tear downs and owner experiences, I now see them more as a regular campervan with 4x4 and poor waterline placement for cold weather and "soft road" cabinet hardware. I'm a stickler for detail on my cars, and would probably redo everything SM did. Space is a huge advantage though. (An inside shower/toilet would be awesome). It'll have all the amenities I'm already planning for the 80. However, I'd have a monthly payment of about $600 or so. It's not a bad thing since I can work from the road, but I'd rather not so I can stay off the grid longer.

THE SLIDE IN CAMPER
Again, more space and maybe more money. I think I could find a good 4WD truck and throw a 4WC camper in the back. I really don't like the look but I can adjust if it's more comfortable to live with, especially being out on the road for as long as we'd like. I have doubts if it would be any good in places like the Rubicon though. They look too top heavy to get to some of the places I'd like to go. I also question the interior build quality like the SM.

SO, here's the criteria I've been loosing sleep over:
2 people comfort + 1 roadwarrior cat (that means litterbox access)
I'm 6'1 so a minimum of a queen sized bed is mandatory.
4 season capable - 1 year on/off the road
The cat doesn't wear thermals, so the cab should be toasty
(the woman is more sensitive to cold anyway, she'd love some space heater)
min of 20 gallon onboard water + hot water
street parking capable
way "off the grid" capable
I'd like to camp at rest-stops without attracting too much attention
COST. I don't want to have to work a lot while I'm traveling but will if can be convinced it's worth it.
no towing (again, parking. Plus some states have low MPH limits on towing)
must have rig ready by March 2013... crap

Thanks!

MINO

Adventurer
Hi David.
I didn't mention it, but Tiger is on the list as well. haha.
I saw a used one a few months back on EP. I had no idea they had rigs in 97.

High_Country

Adventurer
What an exciting journey! It's awesome you're plagued with such a 'problem'. I'll admit I was a little confused reading through your post. At times, I'm thinking you're after a full on camper / slide in / sports mobile type rig (given the toilet, sleeping quarters, etc) but then there's statements about being too top-heavy, not being able to do the rubicon, etc. Since you mention budget constraints (like most 'normal' people have) you're likely going to have to make a few concessions here or there.

Have you considered a 4 door, late model Jeep Rubicon? Extremely EXTREMELY capable as-is, fairly new so you can be confident in the reliability, and you could outfit it with a roof top tent and have your large sleeping quarters. Find a RTT with a vestibule and such and there's your toilet, sleeping quarters, etc and when it's all closed up and your traveling, it's a small, everyday vehicle that can maneuver well and not draw much attention.

Other than that, my other thought was an extended cab or crew cab truck (Tacoma or even full size rig) with a camper (notwithstanding the 'top-heavy' comment).

Just a couple thoughts....

zolo

Explorer
Mino,
Well you are asking a lot for sure. One thing you got wrong is the SB is defiantly NOT like the LC on steroids:).
When I did my AK Prudhoe trip I ran into a couple in a SB traveling a similar route as me. I was on my trusty GS and they invited me inside one morning as we waited for a road closure due to wildfire in Canada. I have to admit it was nice. They loved it and understandably so.
However I wasn't sold, and seeing as you have an 80 already I would say its a no brainier.

If anything the LC FZJ80 is the strongest of the options you have listed. It has a good pay load and the 212,000 odometer doesn't scare me at all. They are known for that and more. They can be set up to be very comfy for 2 folks. Stripping the rear seats out and setting up the rear as you would like is one way to go. With an RTT on the top it would be a great reliable safe way to travel and it is more than capable for any trail the US has to offer. Even in AK you would be able to trek most places.

The other's you have listed including the first ones like EarthRoamer are IMO way to heavy and big to try and be covert and capable on an actual trail.

Now if a serious capable camper is what you would be most comfortable in then I have to scream EARTHCRISER. SB sized ( I'm partial to the size.) but on a stronger chassis. IMO...
With a really nice camper set up. With everything you have listed and more.
Maybe you could look into an Earth Cruiser? They seem to be easy to handle as well as capable in the rough stuff from everything I have read.
http://www.earthcruiser.com.au/
They also just opened house here in the US. BTW I have no affiliation with EC.

BUT... once again you have an 80 already and they can be set up so easy and are so reliable and fun that its hard to look past the drive way since its there already.
I think it could meet all your needs with ease. But an EarthCruier would be BAD-***

Last edited:

MINO

Adventurer
High Country,
I think all my confusion came out when I typed haha. As you pointed out, my issues are all in the compromise: Budget/Comfort/Capabilities.
Speaking of The Jeep Rubicon, I was looking at the Jeep Action Camper (http://www.actioncamper.info/details.php?ktid=4&artID=7)
I think that design would fit our goals best... but I feel I'm already part way there in the 80...it's actually the foundation of the drawings I've been working on if we build the LC.

Zolo,
I stand corrected on the LC/SM comparison. haha.
We love our 80. Have camped comfortably with it's current configuration (second row folded + platform = full size bed).
And it's a pleasure to drive on and off road. Slow as hell, but it gets us there.

I've watched the EarthCruiser video on youtube a number of times. In fact my buddy sent me a link to it today - telling me how BadA** it was. We would all be happy with that. If I had the funds, I'd get a EC. The SM version of the 4x4 Fuso is estimated to be 120k+, I'd assume the EC will be closer to $250k.

Seeing that you'd done adventures with a GS1200, I feel like I've got a 18-wheeler to overland with.

78Bronco,
The plan was to work our way north in early spring, arriving in AK for summer. Then back south for fall and winter.

Keith_Indy

Observer
If budget weren't a consideration, I'd be getting a full size extended cab diesel, and putting one of these on it... http://www.xpcamper.com/index.html

But, in the real world, I'd stick with what you have and love. The LC is certainly capable of what you want to do with it. Should be easy enough to upgrade with what you want. Should also be cheaper to upgrade then to buy something new, and still probably need to upgrade it.

I've got similar long term goals, but I'm going with a trailer for a base camp so I can do side trips to more technical trails.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I went from this.

To this.

Did Alaska in this (now sold).

We are finding the Chevy/FWC the best comprimise. Our FWC is a "shell' model and we are still customizing it for our uses. The FWC doesn't affect the truck at all, you can't even tell it's on there off road. The best part that the 80 could never achieve (besides power and fuel mileage) is when the weather is bad, we get in the camper and life is good. We don't even pop the top if we are just stopping for lunch. Which is great when the wind is blowing, it is raining or even when there are a lot of bugs.

The 80 is more capable off road, but that is really it's only bonus over the truck/camper combo.

If you click on the link in my signature, I have the build up and trail reports in that thread.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thank you. I put a lot of work into the 80 and it was a great rig. Our needs/wants changed and our camping comfort became more important. We spent a couple of weeks camping in the rain and our future was set.

The 80 had everything going for it. A quick rundown:

1996, factory lockers, 4.88's, slee 4inch lift, 315's, ARB front bumper, slee slider/steps, 4x4labs rear bumper, york oba, dual batteries, and dual fuel tanks (49 gallon total). If you have any questions, let me know and I will answer anything about either platform.

We got tired of bad gas mileage and poor power with the 80 as well. I averaged 12 mpg with the 80 and 17mpg with the truck/camper, plus it doesn't care about elevation.

Now we are much more comfortable, both on the road and while in camp.

Jack

Keith_Indy

Observer
We are finding the Chevy/FWC the best comprimise. Our FWC is a "shell' model and we are still customizing it for our uses. The FWC doesn't affect the truck at all, you can't even tell it's on there off road. The best part that the 80 could never achieve (besides power and fuel mileage) is when the weather is bad, we get in the camper and life is good. We don't even pop the top if we are just stopping for lunch. Which is great when the wind is blowing, it is raining or even when there are a lot of bugs.

Jack

Nice setup you have there. You bring up a good point about getting inside out of the weather.

MINO

Adventurer
Thank you. I put a lot of work into the 80 and it was a great rig. Our needs/wants changed and our camping comfort became more important. We spent a couple of weeks camping in the rain and our future was set.

The 80 had everything going for it. A quick rundown:

1996, factory lockers, 4.88's, slee 4inch lift, 315's, ARB front bumper, slee slider/steps, 4x4labs rear bumper, york oba, dual batteries, and dual fuel tanks (49 gallon total). If you have any questions, let me know and I will answer anything about either platform.

We got tired of bad gas mileage and poor power with the 80 as well. I averaged 12 mpg with the 80 and 17mpg with the truck/camper, plus it doesn't care about elevation.

Now we are much more comfortable, both on the road and while in camp.

Jack

Very interesting. Your mods are basically what I have on the shopping list.
I have a locked 96, sliders, dual batteries, OME "stock lift" on 33s. Instead of the extra fuel capacity, I'm looking to have onboard water.
That leaves me with looking for a front bumper, rear tire carrier + 3 jerry can holder, rooftop tent, oba, fridge and other incidentals.
The lack of power on the 80 is tiring. I feel like I really have to "drive it" when at elevation and on inclines.

What did you use for sleeping facilities with the 80? Was there ever a situation that you've said "I wish I had the 80 about now?"

I've encountered a lot of washboard roads when we head out. How does/has your FWC held up to off-road abuse?
When I read about Sportsmobile cabinets coming apart from the well seasoned travelers, build quality is a major concern for me.

Attached rig and the sleeping arrangements (+ spoiled road warrior).

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Nice setup you have there. You bring up a good point about getting inside out of the weather.

That became a big thing for us. We can cook, eat and sleep in the camper when the weather is bad and go fully outside when the weather is nice.

Very interesting. Your mods are basically what I have on the shopping list.
I have a locked 96, sliders, dual batteries, OME "stock lift" on 33s. Instead of the extra fuel capacity, I'm looking to have onboard water.
That leaves me with looking for a front bumper, rear tire carrier + 3 jerry can holder, rooftop tent, oba, fridge and other incidentals.
The lack of power on the 80 is tiring. I feel like I really have to "drive it" when at elevation and on inclines.

What did you use for sleeping facilities with the 80? Was there ever a situation that you've said "I wish I had the 80 about now?"

I've encountered a lot of washboard roads when we head out. How does/has your FWC held up to off-road abuse?
When I read about Sportsmobile cabinets coming apart from the well seasoned travelers, build quality is a major concern for me.

Attached rig and the sleeping arrangements (+ spoiled road warrior).

I used the rear bumper to carry our water supply. I HATE fuel cans for re-fueling.

We used a couple of different tents. A two man, 4 man turbo tent and a 4 man Oz Tent. I had the refrigerator and additional supplies inside the 80 and it would have been way too much to unpack in order to sleep inside.

The FWC is holding up great. We have used and abused it and it shows no sign of the abuse other than what tree limbs have done to the sides. Is it perfect? No, but for our needs it is a big step up for comfort and convienance. We bought ours used and paid about 1/2 price for it. I recommend buying used if at all possible. They are good campers, but are very expensive when buying new.

We haven't ran across a situation where the 80 would have been a better tool. We have been able to take the truck/camper every where we have wanted to go so far.

Here is a website with plenty of FWC users: http://wanderthewest.com/forum/

Awesome road warrior. We have two, but they stay at home.

Jack

MINO

Adventurer
Well, although this approach will end up costing me more money, I bit the bullet and traded my wonderful ISF in for a new Tundra. With the incentives ($4k off + below invoice + excellent trade in appraisal) I couldn't pass it up, especially when I found the only one in SoCal to the specifications I required.

I jokingly tell the fiancé, "it's the love child of our 80 and ISF... a big fat love child".

Now, to find a decently priced pop-up and maybe sell the 80.

Thanks for the input Jack!

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 5

p nut

butter
Keeping the 80 would seem too redundant to me. Now that you've got a Tundra, I'd sell the 80, unless you're dying to go crawling. Even at that, selling the 80 and getting a mini would make more sense.

Good luck with the trip. Sounds fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior