WHERE CAN I GET A PLUG LIKE THIS?

General Automag

Adventurer
Does anyone know of a good source to get the 12v DC adapter plugs? The part that plugs in to your cigarette lighter (12v DC socket) is easy to find obviously, but I'm looking for the "plugs" that plug into the fridge/freezer unit. I simply need to make some longer leads for our fridge/freezer.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• plug6.JPG
    plug6.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 13
  • plug5.JPG
    plug5.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 9
  • plug7.JPG
    plug7.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
  • plug1.JPG
    plug1.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 6

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You would get more of a response if you stated which cooler/fridge it goes to, perhaps in the thread title. And can't you simply splice a longer cord into the current ends of the plugs making the overall cord longer?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Looks like it could be a plug and socket to a National Luna fridge. If it is contact Paul May at Equipt1.com

For sure the plug us a Hella plug with a universal adapter to a common 12 volt socket on the end of it.

General Automag

Adventurer
The plug is for an Ironman4x4 "Ice Cube" http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/fridge.html.

The Ironman units look very similar to the TruckFridge, EvaKool, and the Indel B models. We want to make several cords with different lengths for different vehicles. They all seem the same box, the same controller, and the same compressor. (We bought the Ironman fridge because of their excellent customer service and the longer warranty).

GrizAdams

You would get more of a response if you stated which cooler/fridge it goes to, perhaps in the thread title. And can't you simply splice a longer cord into the current ends of the plugs making the overall cord longer?

I say this not being an electrician, but I'd be concerned about extending a power cord beyond its manufactured spec. Seems like a potential fire hazard.

Adventurer
HI Griz,
You are over thinking this one. The obvious answer is to lengthen the cord. There are no technical problems doing this. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work (very simple) take it to a local electronics repair shop.

Sparky

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yeah, no problem splicing a cord longer (soldering it together), though I would eliminate most of the original cord's length while splicing in a length of heavier gauge cord to reduce any additional voltage loss occurring.

I did this on my Edgestar using a 16' length of #12 AWG landscape lighting cord. At the end I measured about 0.4V drop while the fridge was running (not enough to affect it's operation).

General Automag

Adventurer
I found the exact plug! I ended up ordering a replacement cord from TruckFridge.com. The TruckFridge fridge/freezers looked to be very similar to the IronMan4x4.com units, so I took a gamble. The cord delivered was about $20 and was long enough for my needs.

FYI, for the post concerning the length of the cords, the voltage drop is minimal, and we're using the same gauge wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz