Modular Sleeping Bag System

fnjeep314

Observer
I will apologize in advance for gloating. I just have to say something. I managed to acquire 2 modular sleeping bag systems in the Army digi camo pattern. They include a lightweight patrol sleeping bag which is not very heavy weight at all and good for down to 32 degrees, then there is the intermediate sleeping bag which is much heavier weight and is good for 32-0 degrees, a goretex bivy sack, one large cinch sack and a small cinch sack. Here is what I found crazy!! When I was reading the label on the bottom of the sleeping bags I read the configuration section. This is where I found out about the temp ratings of the sleeping bags. I read Configuration section C, and it instructs you to put both sleeping bags together(one inside the other) and the temperature rating is now MINUS 10 to MINUS 50!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, but I was amazed. I know I am easily amused.

Well who is up for camping in Alaska this winter?!

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I once had to sleep in those bags... mummies are not in my opinion designed for comfort more than they are for warmth and utility of purpose. The more bag added gives you returns of less room to move your legs. If you enjoy leg freedom in your bed at home, forget it while bound-up in the bag. Think of those leather leg and torso restraint systems we see on the telly? I'm 58 now and I would go nuts trying to relax in those things these days. The zippers on the bags are designed to "break-apart" fast in the event immediate action is needed. While laying on your back, snuggled in your bag, put your arms together and thrust outward with the elbows hitting both inner walls of the bag, this will cause the zipper to let go quickly. I never had to perform this with the multi-system employed. It may not work at all looking at the new age system. Just as it was in history, our logistics people only loaded the lightweight so-called mountain mummy bags...

We froze.

I was so miserable back when I will never if I can help it camp/bivouac that way again.

<<>>

jronwood

Adventurer
I deployed a North Face mummy bag as stated on Ixta (volcano in Mexico) at 15,500 when a mouse climbed in my bag with me thru the face hole where my FACE was. The next volcano 10 miles out was spewing hot glowing rock as well, lets just say no more sleep for me that night.

I picked one of the newer Mil Spec bag systems as well and my 10 year old immeadiately commandeered it from me. Some have black.green combo's just for reference. He/we love it. I do like mummies and have used them ALOT as they are the only real option for serious temperature performance. It IS a good system. I have slept to -20 air temp in my Subbie years ago in the Adirondacks, lets just say it was interesting, vapor imeadiately crystallizing and falling back in your face,...interesting...... I have lots of old school mummies here, all down, and few goretex. I like them.

jronwood

Attachments

• Outside18.jpg
    Outside18.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Outside12.jpg
    Outside12.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Outside1.jpg
    Outside1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have the Wiggy's system bags and they are nice, it's a two bag system with synthetic insulation,machine washable and gar-ran- teed for life. I use my bag a lot and it's never been cold enough to use both bags together.

jronwood

Adventurer
One other note, you can improve the preformance of ANY bag with the addition of a Mil Spec Poncho Liner, sew a zipper to make it into a "pocket", and you can increase your rating about 10-15 degrees (depends how warm you sleep). The Marines call them their "woobie" and it goes everywhere they do. I dont leave home without mine. I use it as my only summer bag most nights. The more used, the softer it gets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncho_linerhttp://www.google.com/search?q=ponc...QGzkYHYBw&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQsAQ&biw=1192&bih=800

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I have heard the Wiggly's are a bit more roomy

here is a photo of me winter camping a couple of years ago in my HH with super shelter added on at -20

I placed the summer bag under me & the winter bag draped over me like a comforter, other than the 20mph wind I was fine ( yeah I was wearing thermals)

I thought I had a photo of the bags, but guess I cant find it...anyways

the wind was whipping my hammock everywhere
WinterHHASYM_2_jpg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz