Another Mercedes Vario Campervan

Nigel Evans

Observer
Mine started out life in 1997 as a communications van with the Sussex Constabulary. I don't think they talked to each other much as it had only done 15,000 mile in the 15 years that they ran itIMG_0534edited.jpgIMG_0555edited.jpg
I think my wife had something a little smaller in mind.
IMG_0532edited.jpg
The original plan was to find a vehicle, do a basic conversion myself, dive to Cape Town, flog it and fly home. Simple, and if properly executed not too costly. It might even have worked; if only I hadn't spent so much time researching the internet and reading that John Speed book!

I'd found the perfect vehicle, a Euro 2, 4x4 Mercedes, insulated and lined, with a generator, aircon, leisure batteries, two diesel heaters, well maintained and low mileage. When I got it home I discovered it wasn't as perfect as I had thought. I had to find room for water and diesel storage, a permanent bed and a wet room. The problem was everything already fitted was in the wrong place!

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Is it the 3.1m wheelbase model?
Do you have pictures of the interior?
I'm guessing there must be a lot of room under the floor for tanks etc. (For clarity I'm referring to the Vario, not the VW tent)

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Well...at least it's a very nice color (or colour as the case may be).

Nigel Evans

Observer
Not sure about the wheelbase but from the back of the driver's seat to the back doors is 4200mm. I've found enough space under the van for the extra diesel tank and a 50 litre grey water tank. The grey water tank will be in such an inaccessible spot (above the prop shaft) that I'll probably fit a solenoid valve for emptying.inside.jpginside1.jpginside2.jpg
I've left the generator in place. It's a 7kVa Fischer Panda 3 cylinder water cooled diesel. Hellish complicated with a radiator and fans on the roof above. It runs very quietly and with next to no vibration. The aircon is mounted in a large box that is cut into the roof of the cab it feeds a plenum that form the ceiling of the van. This will also be retained.genny.jpg
Everything else had to go including the false 50mm floor (for cabling).strip.jpg
Plenty of cable came out.cable.jpg
Strange thing about driving this truck, despite it only doing about 60mph flat out, I've rarely been overtaken! Nice shade of blue officer. Which brings me to the name, apparently every campervan has to have a name, and mine's name is Plod!
Will it go a little quicker when I've fitted the poor man's overdrive (larger wheels)?

Nigel Evans

Observer
Nice conversion Incognito, looks like you've had a lot of fun with it. Those Sprinters fly, especially the white ones! No speed limiter fitted on mine, i'm not even too bothered by the top speed, i'd just like to reduce the cruising rpm. The Vario is a much larger van than the sprinter, more like a small truck really with air brakes and around 3500kg payload.

Nigel Evans

Observer
Not easy this conversion lark! Firstly locating the auxiliary fuel tank has been a nightmare. By cutting away the tow bar and spare wheel cradle to improve the departure angle we've removed the rear mount option used by other converters. In the end we've opted for a side mounted custom tank not nearly as large as I'd have liked.

The seating area is based on turning the driver's seat through 180 degrees (captains chair). Trouble is the steering wheel stops it turning. At the moment I've no idea how to solve this one.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Snap off steering bosses are commonly used on rallye and track cars. It may sound a bit extreme, but i'm sure one could be modified to fit a vario, but may require a change of steering wheel too.

I guess the other option would be to mount the seat on an additional set of runners, which point towards the rear of the vehicle. Thus when you want to swivel seat, just move is back on the runners. Thinking about it, this would be my preference over removable steering wheel, as it would be relatively easy to fab up.

Nigel Evans

Observer
Anton,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give the runners a try, I may even be able to move them back enough to work.

I think you said you may be interested in my old wheels/tyres?

IMG_0582.JPGIMG_0583.JPG

You're welcome to them if you can collect from Southampton.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Nigel - did you work out the age of those tyres?
Google "tyre manufacture date code" to see images on how to read the manufacture date.

If Anton is not interested in taking the wheels then I would be if I can work out a way to collect them.

I don't think I can afford the cash for the 19.5 inch conversion right now, but equally I'm not too hot on spending money on new 17.5 inch tyres either when the ultimate aim is to upgrade.

Nigel Evans

Observer
My new tyres and wheels have arrived from Amsterdam.
Gabo Amsterdam manufactured the rims and fitted 285/70R19.5 Toyo M608Z tyres. For me this was a compromise choice. Whilst I understand this setup has TUV approval (DYOR) I have a slight reservation as these are drive tyres not steer.
By preference I would have fitted 255/100R16 Michelin XZL tyres and had the rims manufactured by Accent. I think this could be done for around £2000. Unfortunately I was not able to find a reliable supplier (at any price) for the tyres. Vass sometimes have ex MOD stock but nothing at the moment. This setup does require some minor bodywork alterations and possibly a steering stop. Paul in Germany used to do this modification again with TUV approval.
The wheels fitted with plenty of clearance once the mud flaps were removed. I also trimmed about 30mm off the front plastic wheel arch flare although this is probably not necessary. The extra tyres width results in them extending beyond the arch by about 5mm.
tyre3.jpgtyre2.jpgtyre4.jpg

Nigel Evans

Observer
My old wheels are available for collection free of charge from Southampton within the next 7 days. I can't find a date code, apparently common on older Michelin tyres, so I would assume they are 1998 vintage. Please let me know if you want them asap.tyre1.jpg

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I cant see myself getting a collection organised any time soon. If you get another taker - go for it.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Nigel
I'd be very keen to hear how the vehicle handles on the road with the new setup. Also did it cost £4k for 5 or 6 wheels?
Also did you do anything to soften the suspension or did you stick with the original setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles