potable water tank.

beags86

Adventurer
There is a company in Germany that makes an aftermarket bumper for the G-Wagon that is a 50L water tank. I have looked in to the idea myself and found that it takes much more than swaping bumpers I would need new springs and stearing damper.
The shop company is Desert Service
http://www.desert-service.com/shop/index.php?cat=c7_Bumpers.html&XTCsid=ht16hnbsokckdkt3o30ds4tpg1

thats sort of what my mind had came up with, only it wouldn't replace the bumper, just go in front of it.

larcie

A water tank on your front bumper leaves your only water supply vulnerable to damage and losing the lot!
If you don't like the idea of a floor hard tank that the kids and dogs can walk on, stack stuff on, why not consider a lot of smaller containers,
you can stash them in any nook and cranny and the missus and kids can easily get them.

So another generation who can't live without filtered bottled water....FFS!

I use a 50 lt plastic tank that stands between my rear bench seat and the drawers,
and on the big trips or less available water trips, I have an 80 lt soft bladder that lays across the rear footwell.
Takes up bugger all room and I still stack "stuff" ontop of it!

larcie

Personally, I think hanging ANY of your vital fluids on the front or rear of your vehicle, especially at bumper hight,
is asking for trouble and plain stupid.
Especially your water supply, It should be the one thing that is protected from mis-adventure, either inside your vehicle or up and away from stone strike, animal strike, or other vehicle, trees and rocks hitting, cracking, crushing or penetrating that vital source of survival.

Just a thought.....

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Any room under the bed of the truck for a custom made water tank? Lots of companies out there that build them to suit. You could mock one up from cardboard, rig up a filler tube and vent tubes, use marine fittings and even put a little pump in there. Just a thought, a friend had one made for his adventure trailer (25 gal I believe) and it is really well made and was not onerously expensive.

Easy to hang under there too with some steel straps and bolt it through the bed and or to the frame. Keeps the weight low, protected (skid plate if needed) and out of the way in otherwise wasted space. I have seen them here on the Portal before and the ones I saw were really well done. You could easily get 25 gal under there and lug a few Scepter water jugs on the bumper in carriers for the rest.

Just a thought.

beags86

Adventurer
Personally, I think hanging ANY of your vital fluids on the front or rear of your vehicle, especially at bumper hight,
is asking for trouble and plain stupid.
Especially your water supply, It should be the one thing that is protected from mis-adventure, either inside your vehicle or up and away from stone strike, animal strike, or other vehicle, trees and rocks hitting, cracking, crushing or penetrating that vital source of survival.

Just a thought.....

I realize I never said i was going to build this myself, but i will build it myself, with that said when i build something trust me it wont break under any of these conditions "stone strike, animal strike, or other vehicle, trees and rocks hitting, cracking, crushing or penetrating that vital source of survival."..... what did you think i was going to make it out of plastic my friend?

none the less, everyone has there own opinion. I am trying to make something that is easy to get to (not inside the bed or cab), can be readly available, and something I don't need to move every 5 minutes to get to something else. also I was looking for something like this because i don't want spilled water right to be in the middle of camp (back of truck) and somewhere that a spill or leak wont get anything wet (outdoor gps, cell phone, etc.)

beags86

Adventurer
Any room under the bed of the truck for a custom made water tank? Lots of companies out there that build them to suit. You could mock one up from cardboard, rig up a filler tube and vent tubes, use marine fittings and even put a little pump in there. Just a thought, a friend had one made for his adventure trailer (25 gal I believe) and it is really well made and was not onerously expensive.

Easy to hang under there too with some steel straps and bolt it through the bed and or to the frame. Keeps the weight low, protected (skid plate if needed) and out of the way in otherwise wasted space. I have seen them here on the Portal before and the ones I saw were really well done. You could easily get 25 gal under there and lug a few Scepter water jugs on the bumper in carriers for the rest.

Just a thought.

by far the best idea i think, i think i will be looking into this a little more. i like the clean install this would provide. the one thing that was keeping me back a bit from the other idea was the looks of it. but i think i can have the things i said in my above post if i were to use a small pump and hose coming out from the side of the truck. i am going to think about this for sure. thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior