potable water tank.

beags86

Adventurer
not sure if this is the best place to put this or not. i want to be able to take 20-30 (maybe more)gallons of drinking water/general pupose water/fresh water with me on a week long trip, dont want to put it in the back, top of, or in the truck. i have been thinking about putting a 2in receiver hitch on the front of my truck, then build a little tank or buy a tank to hang off the front of the hitch (think 60's gasser style...lol) anyway, what kind of creative potable water solutions have you guys thought up for expo travel. i would love to see some pics. thanks!

beags86

Adventurer
Right now I mostly use my fullsize gmc but I ask this question because I in the process of building up my 07 gmc canyon 4 door. We are looking at a two week trip thought rocky mtns next summer and would like to able to carry most of the water we need for 2 people and 2 dogs for the trip.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
........... rocky mtns next summer ...................

The engine and trans get really hot pulling the grades, be sure not to block air flow to the radiator/grill area.

On some rigs, driving lights and/or a winch in front is all it takes to push the temp over the edge on the hills.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I would look at the FrontRunner rear foot well water tank, it would keep your front end trim and the weight centered.

This^^^ should work great with dogs (or smaller kids) in the back seat. Front Runner Tank

Pretty sure 'Overland Hadley' used one in his build here on the Portal also.

Keeps the weight down low, the water inside, and uses what is usually 'dead space' in the back seat.

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
Hanging almost 250 pounds in front of your front bumper seems like a bad idea. A 30 gallon tank is pretty damn big. Why not carry less water and use a water filter. I can't imagine there is a shortage of streams in the rocky mountains.
Tap the rockies!

robert

Expedition Leader
Hanging almost 250 pounds in front of your front bumper seems like a bad idea. A 30 gallon tank is pretty damn big. Why not carry less water and use a water filter. I can't imagine there is a shortage of streams in the rocky mountains.
Tap the rockies!

:iagree: Water is easy to come by if you're on the road (plenty of stores) and at least in the parts of the Rockies I've driven through (admittedly limited) streams were pretty common. That said, I've used those blue water cans without issue (other than taking up room) and I've used a bladder on the floorboard before too. Not much sense in spending a ton of money if it's not something you think you'll need often; but then again, I'm kinda cheap. :)

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
IMHO unless you are staying at one spot for the full trip you are planning to take way to much water. 10 gallons should be good. Top off water tank/cans at gas stations, rest stop bathroom faucets or when passing campgrounds etc. Carry a smaller container to refill larger tank/cans. We take along a couple of one gallon plastic milk jugs to refill a ten gallon tank, jam the containers under a faucet. Also use melted ice from cooler to refill water tank.

beags86

Adventurer
The engine and trans get really hot pulling the grades, be sure not to block air flow to the radiator/grill area.

On some rigs, driving lights and/or a winch in front is all it takes to push the temp over the edge on the hills.

i currently live in denver so i am used to pulling grades and such, also i tank would be below the grill, air intake level.

beags86

Adventurer
Tap the rockies!

the tank wouldn't be hanging off the front bumper, it would be attched to a 2" recevier hitch bolted to the frame. i prob wouldn't go with a 30 gallon, most likely it would end up being a 15 gallon or so,

beags86

Adventurer
I would look at the FrontRunner rear foot well water tank, it would keep your front end trim and the weight centered.

i have been looking at them, but i don't like that i can't get to under my rear seat very well with on of those, i have a small drawer under my rear seat. and with that full would be a pain to use. also space on the inside is at a premium for me.

beags86

Adventurer
great input guys, i currently use 2-7 gallon jugs, they work great, but it gets old moving them heavy things around, so i just wanted to find a better set up, for the most part i will be using rest stop, gas stop, etc etc, to refill my water, (mt water is out for my wife - she wont touch it) but i was just searching for anyone that might have come up with something a little more "out of the box" type of thinking.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
great input guys, i currently use 2-7 gallon jugs, they work great, but it gets old moving them heavy things around, so i just wanted to find a better set up, for the most part i will be using rest stop, gas stop, etc etc, to refill my water, (mt water is out for my wife - she wont touch it) but i was just searching for anyone that might have come up with something a little more "out of the box" type of thinking.

My wife has the same fears about drinking water, so we purchase drinking water in throw away 12 oz plastic bottles.
Our ten gallon water tank, is built in. We also use a hose and fill tank at campgrounds and gas staions with RV stations.
White RV hoses are very thin so they take up less storage space than garden hoses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior