keyboards for iPad

haven

Expedition Leader
The Verge tested a number of keyboards that connect using Bluetooth to the iPad. Several are recommended.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/9/3229047/best-ipad-keyboard

So, is the iPad a replacement for your MacBook Air? Depends on what you're trying to do. The 64 GB iPad and a keyboard will cost $800. The cheapest MacBook Air with 64 GB of storage costs $1000.
However, software titles for the Air cost much more than the apps for the iPad.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I went through the same debate when I went shopping for a tablet about a year ago. All the Windows tablets were too big/heavy, and the iPad was the only other tablet on the market that could be taken seriously. At the time, the iPad (64GB + 3G) with a keyboard was the same price as the Air... quite tempting. Ultimately, I dumped the notebook entirely and have never felt a desire to go back. I'd say it is absolutely capable of being a replacement for a full-blown notebook, so long as you don't need Adobe Illustrator and InDesign (the only areas I've found the App Store lacking).

A keyboard is of course mandatory for this transition. I only use it about 30% of the time, but for that 30% I couldn't perform the task without one. I thought about going with one of the case/keyboard combos, but it contradicts one of the iPad's greatest strengths—take only what you need. This is great when I'm on the road and want to run into a coffee shop to check email and post some already-written content: just grab the iPad (in it's slip-case) out of the bag and go. Dealing with a clunky/cumbersome keyboard case combo when I don't need a keyboard... at that point I might as well have a regular notebook.

I've been using the Logitech Tablet Keyboard since I picked up the iPad. It's light, durable, and has long battery life—three very important factors to travel. I use the iPad regularly for web design and development, writing, sketching, browsing, navigation, the occasional network troubleshooting, and even a little photo edit when I'm away from my workstation (thanks to PhotoForge and the Camera Connection Kit); the keyboard has never let me down. With the included stand/shell, when it's time to buckle down and get some typing done it is just as easy to use as a notebook (both on a table, and on the lap).

Frank

Explorer
I posted someplace else that I was trying to use my iPad and my Apple blu-tooth keyboard as my primary computer for my MBA program. My $300 Acer laptop lasted longer than I thought a $300 Acer ever would but it eventually died (which is why I gave my ipad as my replacement a shot).

I've been through 1 class with my iPad as my 'computer' and I just don't think it will be my ticket. It's very time consuming to try and read an article online and write about the article at the same time, it's difficult to copy/paste, its difficult to format the document, there really is no way to 'file' documents, you cant have a mouse and keyboard connected at the same time...these are just things I have found during my first class. Pages is awesome though! I can't imagine putting together a power point or spread sheet on an iPad though I haven't had the need to do so, yet.

What it is great for (in terms of school) ...carrying it to class and having it rather than a laptop. I do not take notes on it, I still use a pen and paper for that. The Apple keyboard is loud by the way. I do like having Google at my finger tips in class. I submit everything electronic (or did for my last course) ...having it also on my iPad in class was great to have. I did do a small presentation and used my iPad as my notes rather than a paper or something of that sort which worked perfect.

The keyboard is great for writing emails and such!

Bottom line, it has many great uses, but based on my experience...its not replacing a laptop.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I currently use an iPad/wireless keyboard combo when away at work. It does just about everything that I need. However using Numbers without a mouse/cursor is about to drive me insane. There is no comparison to using Excel with a regular mouse. Sometimes I wish Apple would stop trying to be so dang different and just give us some options that work as good as the competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94