Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

Two tone Grey/light grey?...My 60 is dark blue grey metallic but needs a lot of dentwork/and new paint so I am thinking of going with that 62 color combo...looks great IMO

And also anxious to hear the outcome of your engine tranny combo and how it works out...My plan right now is to keep my 2f but EFI sounds so nice...

Yep, that two tone. Like my first 62 at the very top.

I may have the 3FE top end within a few months, if you're interested. Make yourself a 2FE.

The motor is on an engine stand. I borrowed one, but the dang 3FE is too stout and it started bending and falling over when I let the weight down off the hoist!
If I get another rainy day, I'll pull the accessories off soon and start cleaning things up.

I think I said it before, but I like having so many spares from having two engines!!!

So I've stripped the new engine of all the ancillaries...

293065_810835013591_1880293848_n.jpg

Planned Upgrades

Planned upgrades

Drivetrain:
Refreshed 3FE- new gaskets and will check specs on most moving parts.
85+ H42 transmission mated to the FJ62 transfer case
Will need to use appropriate length driveshafts from a 60.

Brakes:
V6 4runner calipers (Non ABS of course)
T100 Brake booster and master cylinder
Longer brake lines
May do rear disc brakes one day, but properly adjust drum brakes have always worked well for me

Suspension:
Unless I come into some money, I won't be going with a suspension kit of any sort. I may piece together an Iron Man kit though.
But, looking to net 2-2.5" of lift
AAL kit
Shackle reversal 1.5" lift?
Longer shackles
Lift blocks

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
SOA can be done for a few hundred bucks and 35's fit nicely afterwards. Correction, a few hundred bucks plus new shocks!

SOA can be done for a few hundred bucks and 35's fit nicely afterwards. Correction, a few hundred bucks plus new shocks!

Yeah Ian, the idea is floating around in the fish tank atop my shoulders.... And I may do it. I haven't decided what the cruiser's "purpose" is yet. But, it is still going to be a family hauler, and both kids are still in car seats. My concern would be SOA and 35s with the 3FE and the 4 or 5 spd. I suppose I could re-gear....

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Fwiw, I had an SOA FJ62 (3FE/auto & 36's) with 4.88's and it rocked. Pulled hard up the canyons and had no issues doing speed limits. On the flip side I had an SOA FJ60 (2F/H42) with 4.10's (FJ62 diffs) and 35's and it was a dog. Strong motor but it really struggled up canyons and such. With 4.88's it would have been on the mark. I'm a big fan of SOA's... when done right and I emphasize when done right. Plan on $1000 or more to do it right including the peripheral items (brake lines, u-bolts, new bushings, new springs?, drive-line mods, cut/turn, knuckle overhaul, etc) like re-gear which is mandatory if you plan to run 35's. The re-gear along is $800-1000 in parts alone, this assuming you can do all your own labor. If you don't want to run anything bigger than 33's, SUA suspension and enjoy. My 2 cents :D

Fwiw, I had an SOA FJ62 (3FE/auto & 36's) with 4.88's and it rocked. Pulled hard up the canyons and had no issues doing speed limits. On the flip side I had an SOA FJ60 (2F/H42) with 4.10's (FJ62 diffs) and 35's and it was a dog. Strong motor but it really struggled up canyons and such. With 4.88's it would have been on the mark. I'm a big fan of SOA's... when done right and I emphasize when done right. Plan on $1000 or more to do it right including the peripheral items (brake lines, u-bolts, new bushings, new springs?, drive-line mods, cut/turn, knuckle overhaul, etc) like re-gear which is mandatory if you plan to run 35's. The re-gear along is $800-1000 in parts alone, this assuming you can do all your own labor. If you don't want to run anything bigger than 33's, SUA suspension and enjoy. My 2 cents :D

I'm generally a quality over quantity sort of guy. Where I live, there really isn't any need for SOA, other than to look cool. We'd need to drive hours to get to places where an SOA and 35s would benefit. I'm still leaning towards 33s on the SUA. I've got the 255 85 16s already which will fit, more or less, with the 1.5-2" I gain with the shackle reversal and longer shackles.

But damn, this truck gets me going....
76611_107339746003151_1527221_n.jpg

Attachments

• 76611_107339746003151_1527221_n.jpg
    76611_107339746003151_1527221_n.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 38

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm generally a quality over quantity sort of guy. Where I live, there really isn't any need for SOA, other than to look cool. We'd need to drive hours to get to places where an SOA and 35s would benefit. I'm still leaning towards 33s on the SUA. I've got the 255 85 16s already which will fit, more or less, with the 1.5-2" I gain with the shackle reversal and longer shackles.

I hear you, I think you sounds like a great candidate for a quality setup SUA and in the meantime your gearing, drivelines, etc can all stay stock which has obvious benefits if/when you need replacements or repairs. I've had two built SOA 6x Series and a couple of stocker 6x Series that I drove for a bit and sold. I'm actually anxious to find a clean stocker, do an OME lift and run it :D

Sometimes it feels great, knowing that your hard work is for a reason.
538391_813284908981_1732494530_n.jpg

Dropping the head off tomorrow to get it checked, cleaned and worked.

291949_813348416711_974811651_n.jpg

Some major blow-by on the valves. This one was the worst....

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I got lot's of engine parts if you need them, everything besides the block and crank. All from an 88 FJ62 that blew it's motor at 150k miles.

Let me know! ;)

I got lot's of engine parts if you need them, everything besides the block and crank. All from an 88 FJ62 that blew it's motor at 150k miles.

Let me know! ;)

Thanks Ian! This is the second motor that I bought. Its 83k newer than the one in the truck. So, I'm just going through it. Thankfully I have all the spares from the motor in the truck!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
When you are putting it back together, remember that cross threaded is tighter than lock tight. Torque specs are for the cowardly! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online