Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

EOE4x4

Observer
Hey, didn't know you got another 62! Last time I talked to you you had ditched the last one and I was thinking about buying the 4runner :). Was back in Louisiana for the weekend, just got back last night.
If you need parts, left me know. Shipping may be a bummer, but now that my Vortec conversion started I have a 2F, 3F complete drivetrain, and two H42s. All are in runnable condition, except noticed my spare A440 had the mount for the transfer case shifter cracked when it was forked into my trailer.
Let me know if you need something!
Matt

Thanks Matt! Yep, another 62!

I think I have most of the parts lined up locally, just need the cash for everything. Will let you know if I run into anything though. Thanks for the offer.

I'll finally be picking up the manual transmission and components this weekend, then after I re-arrange the garage a bit, I'll start pulling the motor from the cruiser and finish rebuilding the replacement 3FE. I still need to get a refreshed head too. The one that was on the replacement motor was cracked!

Hoping to have the cruiser drivable in two or three months.

Thanks Marshal. I haven't made too much progress with the truck, but then again, I'm not in a hurry!
I did some trading tonight and got the transmission, Tcase, bellhousing, and clutch components.
18303_852877839431_1824019865_n.jpg

This thing was a bear for my scrawny *** to get off of the trailer by myself (without my bloody engine hoist!)

Hey, didn't know you got another 62! Last time I talked to you you had ditched the last one and I was thinking about buying the 4runner :). Was back in Louisiana for the weekend, just got back last night.
If you need parts, left me know. Shipping may be a bummer, but now that my Vortec conversion started I have a 2F, 3F complete drivetrain, and two H42s. All are in runnable condition, except noticed my spare A440 had the mount for the transfer case shifter cracked when it was forked into my trailer.
Let me know if you need something!
Matt

Hey Matt, I sent you a message on Mud. Needing a couple parts (60 driveshafts, clutch lines, and the pedal bucket).

EOE4x4

Observer
Hey Matt, I sent you a message on Mud. Needing a couple parts (60 driveshafts, clutch lines, and the pedal bucket).

Wrote you back...and looked at expo for the first time in a while :). Need to do it more often. I used most of the swap parts on my tranny swap. Not quite all, so I'll check to see what's still kickin outside in the shed.

I wasn't a big two tone guy, especially blue until I picked this one up :). Now I'm smitten! Keep up the good work. Look forward to getting the 62s together some day, even if our kids are driving them by the time it happens!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354750598.865672.jpg

EOE4x4

Observer
So this is what I have, most of which you probably dont need and/or won't want to ship:
-Complete 3FE with auto box and tcase (tranny has cracked arm for tcase shifter) all with 315k
-2F with headers, weber carb got lost along the way but has crusty headers with 200k
-2x H42 trannys, late model with spacer
-2x cross members, one I know is from my blue 62 but the other must have come from the parts 60 in MD. Buddy must have stuck it in the truck at some point when I wasn't paying attention?
-evap gear, air box, etc for 3FE including a bunch of crusty AC parts
-rear lift gate in green :)
-rebuildable 3FE alternator
-leftover tranny swap parts I could find are flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch master cylinder to slave hard line. Also have clutch fork and bel housing on 2F mentioned before
-a whole, running, spare 62 in case you decide you want two ;).
And plenty other assorted crap that I haven't gone thru yet. Mostly junk though. Let me know if anything sounds interesting. You gots my email too. Oh yeah, engines ran when pulled. Hopefully they still do ;)

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
hold off on the lift as long as you can...the rig's down anyways. if you look for it, it won't be there, but when you're not looking, you will score.

hold off on the lift as long as you can...the rig's down anyways. if you look for it, it won't be there, but when you're not looking, you will score.

Trust me, I jump on deals. If a full OME lift came up for sale, for $300, I'd jump on it!

Suspension is lower on the list.
Currently the priorities are:
Engine
Transmission
Braking (maintenance, repair and upgrades)
Suspension
Modifications

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
northridge4x4.com is pretty exclusive to Jeep parts, but David is the biggest purchaser of ARB (and subsidiary) products/components in the country. shoot him an email (sales@northridge4x4.com) and ask him what kind of price he can do for you on OME toyota stuff (he can get it easily)

northridge4x4.com is pretty exclusive to Jeep parts, but David is the biggest purchaser of ARB (and subsidiary) products/components in the country. shoot him an email (sales@northridge4x4.com) and ask him what kind of price he can do for you on OME toyota stuff (he can get it easily)

Thanks, but I've got my "homies" down at TRDParts4U in Dallas. They're competitively priced and best of all I don't have to pay shipping!!!

EOE4x4

Observer
Planned upgrades

Drivetrain:
Refreshed 3FE- new gaskets and will check specs on most moving parts.
85+ H42 transmission mated to the FJ62 transfer case
Will need to use appropriate length driveshafts from a 60.

Brakes:
V6 4runner calipers (Non ABS of course)
T100 Brake booster and master cylinder
Longer brake lines
May do rear disc brakes one day, but properly adjust drum brakes have always worked well for me

Suspension:
Unless I come into some money, I won't be going with a suspension kit of any sort. I may piece together an Iron Man kit though.
But, looking to net 2-2.5" of lift
AAL kit
Shackle reversal 1.5" lift?
Longer shackles
Lift blocks

I did the 4runner caliper swap on my gold one and haven't been happy with it. Could be an issue with the rears added in, but in damp road "crap I need to stop" braking I found that the front end locked up (with 33s) way to quickly. I know a lot of people seem to do it, but my concern is that it throws the front-rear happiness out of whack. I did like the slotted rotors I bought with better pads though.
Slid thru too many intersections to be totally happy with the caliper swap. May be ok for others, but ask around some before you do it.

Oh and I got a few extra sets of 62 vacuum solenoids if you keep the tcase. FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior