Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

Round one's thread can be found here.

"Cruiser Therapy" Keeping me sane for eight years and counting.

The synopsis of the story begins two years ago. Driving back from an outing on the Kiamichi Trail with Mr. Leary, we spotted a lonely FJ62 parked in a field. We turned around and decided what the heck, lets knock on the door and get the story. The fellow we talked to was nice enough to let us take a peak at the truck, answered some questions and put me in touch with the owner. A short few days later, I bought the truck. I was excited! I loved the two toned wagon with its classic body lines and the general aura of nostalgic greatness we call a Landcruiser. I had to make the deal while 300 miles from home and ended up having my wife and good buddy Tom pick it up and drive it home. Working out of town and building two trucks was a difficult task. I had my daily driven 1987 4runner at the time and that was our primary adventure vehicle; it had taken us to Colorado, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and all over Texas. She was a beaut too. But relying on two late 80s vehicles made me nervous... especially after I became unemployed at the end of 2010. We really liked the Cruiser more than the 4runner. With four doors, roomier, classic looks, etc, the cruiser made the better family hauler... But it had a laundry list of problems. Sitting down and discussing with my wife, we decided for the time being that we'd sell both the 4runner and the cruiser in order to purchase one vehicle, my 95 Montero. It was a wise move. I could easily outfit it and make it our family camping machine, rugged and reliable (the latter is debatable) with factory options and features I wanted. So the cruiser and 4runner went on the market. I've regretted that decision for two years now.
73973_577515812141_2061541_n.jpg
My 87 4runner and my 88 Cruiser. Both sold now.

A few weeks back, I purchased quite a bit of stuff in an auction at work. I didn't need or want half the stuff I bought, so I flipped it on craigslist. I placed the ads, with a small note at the bottom, "may be interested in trading for FJ40, 60 or 62." And sure enough, I get an email note offering an 88 Landcruiser with a seized motor for two of the items. Curious. I scratched my head, read the note a couple of times and the senders name.... then decided to search my emails. It was the same guy I sold my cruiser to. Excitement literally overwhelmed me. It was a good truck! I was ecstatic with the idea of getting my old cruiser back. So I replied saying I was interested and probed a little more. Much to my disappointment it wasn't my truck, but an 88 FJ62 all the same... and with a seized motor. A hand shake later and I'm loading the cruiser on a trailer.
384651_803448516191_1042212325_n.jpg

376330_803170094151_1591549221_n.jpg

The Good:
No Rust (With the only exception being the battery tray). My old cruiser had a dime sized bit of cancer on front fender.
Fair paint with minimum oxidation. On par with my old cruiser.
Very few dents or scratches. More than my old cruiser though.
Clean-ish interior. Most fabric good. Not as clean as my old cruiser.
Dash not too badly cracked. Better than my old cruiser.
Possibly rebuilt transmission.
Possibly rebuilt top end.
FJ60 wheels plus my old Marty Mcfly Wheels.

The Bad:
Seized engine.
Birds nest in grill...
Dead battery.
Cargo area carpet in rear soaked in oil...
Headliner nasty...
Three blown tires (belts separated).

My plans are still developing and changing every day that I own it. I'm thinking a mildly built overlander.
OME Lift. Or... extended shackles, shackle reversal, add a leafs, betters shocks, etc
33's. Got a smoking deal on some 255 85 16 KM1s. Still need to find wheels to live with, but got another deal on four 1st gen taco wheels to use temporarily.
Front bumper and winch.
Late model H42 transmission. Will swap in H55 when funds allow.
Aussie locker in rear.
Upgrade the front seats.
Add shoulder belts in back.Not sell it in 6 months... and still own it after my 6 year old daughter drives it to high school.... so her little sister (4 months) can drive it to school too. :)

Update 1- 8/10/2012
533039_807509687571_1030191842_n.jpg

Curiosity didn't kill the cat, but it did answer the big question. I found a 1 13/16 socket (~46mm) to fit the crankshaft nut. Pulled the fan blade and shroud to access the crank. Gave her all I had in one direction using my legs to push the 2ft breaker bar. Nothing. Gave her all I could in the other direction.... and broke the nut loose. It's torqued to something like 280 ft lbs from the factory! Well, the engine's seized. Agreeing with one of my friends, I dont know if I'll trust rebuilding an engine that has seized. So, a heart transplant it is. And like a surgeon, I'm going with the closest match possible, another 3FE from an 88 Fj62. This will be coming from Randy (Vortecjunkie on Mud) who is pulling this motor for a v8 conversion in his 62. 203k miles, but running. Needs a new injector. I'll clean the ones in both engines and I'll have at least 5 spares. Will likely disassemble and do an overhaul re-seal, checking for any issues along the way.

Update 8/11/12-

I work quickly and pounce on deals. Call me "Sir Pounce A Lot." But I picked up a 83,000 mile newer motor that was just pulled for a Chevy 6.0 conversion, the heart from a monster!
486472_808045833131_198274217_n.jpg

Got her home today. There is something uniquely satisfying about unloading a new-to-you motor into the garage.... Nevermind the mess of stuff, I had to move some things to back the trailer in! This motor is mostly stock, but as you can see the vacuum lines have been upgraded to silicone, what you can't see is that the throttle body was bored to 71mm, a brand new Mean Green 140amp alternator, and has a new HD torque converter.
8080_808087868891_478744799_n.jpg

Once I pick up an engine stand and things cool off here in Hotter than Hell Texas... I'll start tearing it down to do an inspection and re-seal.

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Completely understand your situation. I went almost 5 years without a Cruiser. Congrats on the latest purchase. I'm interested in your build, especially the H42/55 swap.

Completely understand your situation. I went almost 5 years without a Cruiser. Congrats on the latest purchase. I'm interested in your build, especially the H42/55 swap.

For the most part, the later h42 transmission is the same length as the h55 and is therefore practically interchangeable. So, being specific in my selection I'll be able to put the H55 in with minimal fuss later.

Someone should have told me there was a work hatch (left) to remove the flexplate and torque converter!!! I spent almost two hours under the motor working through the inspection cover (on bottom).. I would have been done in less than 20 minutes had I seen the hatch on the side!!!!

530166_808339948721_652936201_n.jpg

Mr. King

Undecided
I'm one post too late, Scott! There is a work hatch on the right side of the transmission that will make the flex plate and torque converter easier to remove.

I digress. :peepwall:

Subscribing and watching your build.

Mr. (The) King

Someone should have told me there was a work hatch (left) to remove the flexplate and torque converter!!! I spent almost two hours under the motor working through the inspection cover (on bottom).. I would have been done in less than 20 minutes had I seen the hatch on the side!!!!

Last edited:

fowldarr

Explorer
My wife said to me the other day. "I really miss having a cruiser in the family"

The plotting begins.

My wife said to me the other day. "I really miss having a cruiser in the family"

The plotting begins.
The wife and I want an FJ40 too... but I think the FJ62 matches our needs more while still giving us the Cruiser "aura". One day. I mean heck you can't even get a beater project 40 for less than a couple grand!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader

The plotting begins.

Do it!! My wife hardly lets me drive the 100 and we have had it only about 2 months now. Now she says she wants a 40 too.

BT

3FE and H42/55 is an interesting combo. I have read it will make the 62 feel like a whole new animal.

3FE and H42/55 is an interesting combo. I have read it will make the 62 feel like a whole new animal.

Yeah, so have I! I've not had the opportunity to drive a vehicle with the H42 (or 55 for that matter) but have driven Lee's (1911 on the boards) FJ40 with the H41. The 3fe is a good engine, no doubt, I can't wait to see how this conversion compares to my old 62.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I may, one day, paint it two toned like my old one. We'll see.

Two tone Grey/light grey?...My 60 is dark blue grey metallic but needs a lot of dentwork/and new paint so I am thinking of going with that 62 color combo...looks great IMO

And also anxious to hear the outcome of your engine tranny combo and how it works out...My plan right now is to keep my 2f but EFI sounds so nice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior