Cruiser Therapy: LaOutbackTrail's FJ62 Landcruiser

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
HOLY water in the oil Batman!!!! Sorry man, I know that's definitely NOT what you wanted to see when you pulled that plug aye. What was that they say??? Something about pictures and a thousand words??? I think that picture says two thousand or more.

Cheers

Dave

And those two thousand words would all be cuss words.

It seems as if my projects are community adventures. Another idea was shared with me this morning. The throttle body is water cooled. I had water in the intake tube between the AFM and the TB (and in the TB). So I reckon my next step is to pull the TB and check for cracks. I have two spares... thankfully. This could also explain my high idle as well.

Fingers crossed. But if it doesn't work out, I just talked to my father in law about a 96 or 97 chevy pickup with a 5.7 Vortec that I can have...

Sorry I missed your call last night man, I was neck deep in motor/trans yanking.

I think it is fate. You know you are meant to have a Cruiser with a v8 in it. Yours goes and here comes a free vortec. What better time then now!? If the 3F is not shot, you can still fix it up and sell the engine. I still think it is fate and you are meant to have a v8.

Cheers

And as unintelligible as a hot and bother Yosemite Sam.

Sorry I missed your call last night man, I was neck deep in motor/trans yanking.

I think it is fate. You know you are meant to have a Cruiser with a v8 in it. Yours goes and here comes a free vortec. What better time then now!? If the 3F is not shot, you can still fix it up and sell the engine. I still think it is fate and you are meant to have a v8.

Cheers

No worries bud, was just hoping to vent and walk through what I was seeing. Brainstorm, at least.

I think you are right though. I could get this donor truck over here and do a quick once over on it and start the swap. I'm a little hesitant to undertake a conversion project though... I guess these issues I've been having has taken some of my optimistic confidence away. Come December though, we can set you up a bed, feed you, and hook up an IV of beer or rum (your preference) and let you do the hard bits. Whatcha say, Ian?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader

Right??? I usually throw temper tantrums along with those 2000 swearword moments too... Thankfully right now I'm demo-ing our kitchen so I can let my "Redheaded-ness" loose on something that actually NEEDS breaking. Otherwise out come the chainsaws or the Kubota to "clear my mind" and then you never know what might happen :smilies27:

It seems as if my projects are community adventures. Another idea was shared with me this morning. The throttle body is water cooled. I had water in the intake tube between the AFM and the TB (and in the TB). So I reckon my next step is to pull the TB and check for cracks. I have two spares... thankfully. This could also explain my high idle as well.

Fingers crossed. But if it doesn't work out, I just talked to my father in law about a 96 or 97 chevy pickup with a 5.7 Vortec that I can have...
Funny you should mention this, my 22RE is giving me a similar (although not the "exactsame" problem) with it's coolant line/jacket on the Throttle body. Luckily I haven't had the extreme milkshake issues you're looking at aye.

Best of luck man, that SUCKS. Course maybe with that Votrec being handed to you you already have a re-power option being presented to you... Either way, I hope you get some bright light on the horizon soon mate.

Cheers

Dave

c97ef08f62fa8809598017f88a21f2924bb2108531ce8b916f199d192e125d24.jpg

20150117_152006.jpg

After being somewhat satisfied with myself for getting the donor truck running (it has been sitting a while after an uncle-in-law passed away) I drove the truck from the back yard to the garage. And pulled the engine out Saturday morning.

15%2B-%2B1

I did compression tests when the engine was still in the truck, but the battery was weak and i got low numbers on the last three cylinders. To set my mind at ease, I rigged up the remote starter and checked the compression in all of the cylinders again. 150-160 across the board. Most were consistent at 155 psi. Good enough for me.

I was going to rebuild the whole engine, but I think I'm just going to roll with it. I'll change the important gaskets and seals (not the head gaskets though) and begin the installation.

"This car will be less annoying to ecomentalists if it ran on minced dolphin"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior