33" Tires...

Falkon

Adventurer
I am researching new tires and I have noticed that the 33" tire seems to be the "Holy Grail" of tire sizes for off-road. I had generally accepted this as the truth and then realized I was never quite sure why this is. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Box Rocket

I don't think it's truth. I think tire size depends a lot on the vehicle they are going on, and the type of terrain you'll be driving. 33's just happen to be a fairly large tire that most offroaders are able to fit without I higher degree of modification.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Not to me. 32's (actually 31.6 or so) is my preference.

265/75/16 or 235/85/16 are my preferred tire sizes. Right now I'm running 265/70/16 (30.6 nominal size) but as soon as these wear out I'll go to a 265/75.

AxleIke

Adventurer
As stated, 33's are really just the size most people go with because they fit with very mild modifications on most Toyota 4x4 trucks and SUV's here in the US. Also, generally speaking, the US toyota drivetrain's tend to stay pretty reliable with a 33" tire (though not always). For overlanding, reliability without excessive modification seems to be most people's preferred method.

Personally, I think a 40" tire is optimal for wheeling/crawling, but a 32-33 is a great size for highway use with offroad capability in mind. I MUCH preferred the way my vehicles drove, and handled, on 33's compared to when they were on larger sizes. However, the capability of the vehicle increased quite a bit with the increased ground clearance. So, as with everything, it is a trade-off.

Additionally, a 33" tire, while still expensive, is still a reasonable priced tire to be wearing out every few years (depending on how much you drive). Much over 250 dollars a tire gets to be a real strain on the wallet for a daily driver. At least to me.

Falkon

Adventurer
So, I am looking at some 35's (Actually 34.5) because they are the smallest I can find in the brand I want that will fit my rims. My measurements show they should fit the truck, what would be the pros/cons of the 34.5" (275/65/20) tire?

I like the size theorhetically because it will give me some sidewall with the 20's, but I also dont want to look like I am riding on balloons or destroy my MPG. 99% of my driving is highway, the other 1% is off pavement, mostly FS roads & dirt tracks, but do want the capability to be a little more aggressive when needed. The Tundra is lifted about 2.5".

Snarky

Hell Paso
I have 35"s on my FJ and I hate them. Despite a 6" lift, cranking up the coilovers, chopping the body mount, and the mud flaps, they still rub in turns. Even tried alignment adjustments and wheel spacers.

But thats not the reason i hate them.

The real problem is:

The poor mileage. Less than 200 per tank.

The fact that i have to drive in 4th gear with a trailer, on hills, or at 80 mph to keep the transmission from constantly shifting. (I-10 speed limit is 80 I usually gotta do ~70 to be comfortable and not annoyed)

The fact that the cruise control becomes a psychopath and likes to floor it in 3rd gear at 70 to correct a 3 mph difference on speed.

I know it sounds like whining, and I'm sure 2000$ worth of a gearing changes would solve a lot of the problems. But why? I can just go back to 33"s for 500$ and not miss the extra inch radius of tire for offroading. I drove 600 miles last night, it took probably ~300$ worth of fuel in 4 fill ups.

With the 33"s my speedometer was dead on correct compared to stock 32"s. It was still rugged looking and offroad capable. I got way better mileage. My spare is still a 33" because a 35" wont fit without a spacer, and i wouldn't want to put more strain on the hinges anyways.

This is just my opinion on them after about 35000 miles with then, coming from years of always wanting 35"s. i cant wait to get rid of them. I'm sure some people love them.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You want to run 35's and you're worried about your MPG? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. If MPG and daily driver compatibility are issues, I'd stay with a more stock size tire (31s, 32s or 33s at the largest.)

From your sig it looks like you have a 1st gen Tundra? I guess my question would be: What capability do 35's give you that 32's or 33's don't? From what I've seen here in CO the people running vehicles 35's and larger usually have big lifts, lots of armor and usually trailer their vehicles to the trail head. Obviously, MPG and daily-driver use aren't much of a consideration there.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I've ran everything from stock to 38's, and I prefer the 33's on a 'Dual Purpose' rig (DD and OffRoad)

I had 36's and 38's on my mud trucks back in the day, they never saw a lot of street time.

Started with 31's on my CJ, then 33's. My TJ had 35's on it when I bought it, and it's about time for new shoes.

I'm seriously debating going down to 33's, although with the 3 speed trans (no OD) and 4:10 gears, she revs pretty good on the highway now.

33's fit most SWB rigs with minimal lift, light mods, and little to no cutting of sheet metal.

Add in the fact that 33's retain better road handling, and they become a popular tire IMO.

I like the 35's for off road, but after doing a 3K round trip to Moab, and using the TJ as a DD around town, I'd prefer 33's.

Either that, or I need to upgrade the braking power on the TJ!

AxleIke

Adventurer
You want to run 35's and you're worried about your MPG? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. If MPG and daily driver compatibility are issues, I'd stay with a more stock size tire (31s, 32s or 33s at the largest.)

From your sig it looks like you have a 1st gen Tundra? I guess my question would be: What capability do 35's give you that 32's or 33's don't? From what I've seen here in CO the people running vehicles 35's and larger usually have big lifts, lots of armor and usually trailer their vehicles to the trail head. Obviously, MPG and daily-driver use aren't much of a consideration there.

It looks like he is trying to run 20" rims on the truck, which does limit his size choices some. At least in the aggressive tire market. Lots of people DD 35's and bigger. Don't need a lot of lift for them either. I ran 35's on my first gen 4 runner with no lift. Was awesome on the trails, and while I liked the 33's better for highway, the 35's weren't bad.

Expedition Leader
I am researching new tires and I have noticed that the 33" tire seems to be the "Holy Grail" of tire sizes for off-road. I had generally accepted this as the truth and then realized I was never quite sure why this is. Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

The bigger the diameter of the tire, the higher your differential and other underside bits are off the ground and the bigger the obstacle that you can drive over. 33" tires are just a common larger-than-stock size that can fit on lots of vehicles with only a modest lift and usually without having to re-gear the diffs to get your highway power back. A pretty good compromise between off-road improvement and practicality/economy.

G_fresh

Adventurer
Hmmmm... I thought 33's were the Holy Grail since they were about as large as was readily (traditionally) available outside the US. Need to get another tire in the African bush and you had a good shot matching your tire size if you were running 33's...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94