pop-up awnings

aruss

Hi,

I am interested in getting an ez-up, quickshade, etc type awning. The type that accordions out. My concern is that I have seen many of these in dumpsters at the beach camping sites (Assateague, Outer Banks) that I frequent. Is there a sturdy brand / has anyone modified theirs to make it stronger? It seems like some bars connecting the feet at ground level would go a long way. Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

-Andy

spunky2268

Adventurer
Stick with E-Z Up. Most others that you find at your local megamart break at the plastic sections where they accordion, often just by taking them down or setting them up with someone being a little too aggresive (takes 2-4 people). The metal accordion sections will bend as well; seems they are made of a lesser grade of metal. I've used the E-Z Ups on group camping trips and at emergency sites in all kinds of weather and they hold up quite well. Definately stake it down. If it doesn't come with wall sections, suggest you get them as well, as it will expand your uses/seasons.

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
i learned at the beach where you cant use a stake ,use a little bucket and bury it in the sand on all corners ,even heard of using trash bags ?then tie it off ....i use a kelty shade packs small ...like a tent with out sides or bottom...

6x6pinz

Adventurer
just found broken corners on my EZup brand pop up. We have had that thing for almost 10 years. Will definitely be getting another ezup brand again. That poor thing went through all my kids soccer games and camping trips. I don't know how many times it had been set up. Seemed like we were always taking it with us. New ones don't look as well built but will have to shop around.

brianwj

Observer
EZ up sells bags canvas bags that clip on the legs and you fill them with sand for weight. We use them on the beach and they work great plus the kids have fun filling them.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
just found broken corners on my EZup brand pop up. We have had that thing for almost 10 years. Will definitely be getting another ezup brand again. That poor thing went through all my kids soccer games and camping trips. I don't know how many times it had been set up. Seemed like we were always taking it with us. New ones don't look as well built but will have to shop around.

EZ-Up does sell replacement parts. I don't know if the part that broke on yours is one that can be swapped out or not, but might be worth a call to them.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
EZ-Up does sell replacement parts. I don't know if the part that broke on yours is one that can be swapped out or not, but might be worth a call to them.

never realized that. Called and they no longer support my model and the newer models parts are not compatible. Man I had my hopes up for a minute.

4RBuddha

Both Caravan and EZup are good brands to get. I use "tough stakes" http://www.toughstake.com/) at the beach, and regular stakes everywhere else. I always stake mine down when deploying in windy conditions, and I've never had one lift off on me. If you need some side walls, check out this brand: http://www.umbrellasmadeez.com/products.cfm.

Piece of advice though: If you use the tough stakes, make sure to put a children's sand bucket over the stake, I stepped on it by accident one time, and it hurt like a !@@$%

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
never realized that. Called and they no longer support my model and the newer models parts are not compatible. Man I had my hopes up for a minute.

Oh man. Sorry to hear that and for my part in squashing your hopes and dreams! :Wow1:

chet

island Explorer
I have a caravan bought from costco. As do many of our friends (we had 4 in a row on the last long weekend.) they are extremely durable compared to others. EZ up is the only other brand I would buy. My only gripe with the caravan is its huge packed size. makes it hard to bring along sometimes,.

Anu

Observer
Even tents get blown away in Assateague if not properly staked. I see a lot of folks use these at the local farmers' market - http://www.amazon.com/Undercover-Ca...&qid=1345174423&sr=1-1&keywords=gravity+tubes

They are pricey. I have also seen some diy versions with large diameter pvc pipes with end caps. Guess they must be filling them up with sand etc.

What I use when we camp at the beach is something I got years ago. REI sells something similar - http://www.rei.com/product/725165/rei-snow-and-sand-tent-anchors

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier