Looking for a new family tent. Help please.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The "hatch" tent, kinda depends on what you're driving, but mine is 6 years old and very high quality-

It's great for my wife and I, if we hear/suspect bears--just jump in the jeep and close the gate--

It's 10'x10'x9' and I'm 6'5 with plenty head room-

Sleeps (including the jeep), 6 adults and several little kids-(no dogs)-

Made by Nissan, 6 years ago it was $265 bucks and goes up/down easy, weighs about 10lbs-

Sawmillllakejune12020.jpg

Also have two "Airzone" tents, but they're smaller--one minute erection time-

Thousands of choices, but I'll never own a canvas tent again--to much smell/trouble/size/weight--

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

BBQ BOY

:sombrero: The "hatch" tent, kinda depends on what you're driving, but mine is 6 years old and very high quality-

It's great for my wife and I, if we hear/suspect bears--just jump in the jeep and close the gate--

It's 10'x10'x9' and I'm 6'5 with plenty head room-

Sleeps (including the jeep), 6 adults and several little kids-(no dogs)-

Made by Nissan, 6 years ago it was $265 bucks and goes up/down easy, weighs about 10lbs-

Sawmillllakejune12020.jpg

Also have two "Airzone" tents, but they're smaller--one minute erection time-

Thousands of choices, but I'll never own a canvas tent again--to much smell/trouble/size/weight--

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

smell????

4runnerteq

Explorer
Check Alps Mountaineering. Nice heavy zippers. Have used ours about 6 times. No problems at all. And if you happen to be invoved in Scouts you get like 40% or 60% off. Very easy set up

aruss

smell????

Canvas tents can get pretty musty if they are stored wet, and I believe that some of the older ones (army surplus in particular) are treated with petroleum products. Nylon tents get rank if stored wet, too. I picked up a Eureka canvas tent from about 1980 in a thrift store a few years ago, 10 x 14 and does not smell bad at all. The canvas tent is much more comfortable in hot weather, it seems to breathe unlike nylon, but it also has a ridge height of 8" that probably helps. I also have an REI base camp 6, it is a very good tent and has weathered some heavy storms. I have considered getting a Cabela's Alaskan Guide tent, they are pricey but having something bomb proof is really tempting after some of the experiences with weather I have had.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Springbar ******. Built by Americans for Americans and it doesn't have that annoying Chinese knock-offedness you get with the Kodiak.

Anu

Observer
Have owned and used both the Springbar and Kodiak. Both are good tents. However liked the Kodiak (10X 14 deluxe) better. More well thought out .. organizer pockets etc, vents and plenty room for my daughter and I and our dog

BBQ BOY

Have owned and used both the Springbar and Kodiak. Both are good tents. However liked the Kodiak (10X 14 deluxe) better. More well thought out .. organizer pockets etc, vents and plenty room for my daughter and I and our dog
This is what I am finding out. I really wish Springbar would add some of the features of the Kodiak, as I would rather buy American made. No, money is not an issue but the added features that you get with the Kodiak are well worth switching to the dark side, I think.
I called Springbar asking if they could *** vents to the top of the tent, a heavier canvas floor and a vestibule. I got a no on all request The ceiling vent are a big deal for me. So, I amy be jumping on a Kodiak 10x14 or maybe a Turbo tent.

Anu

Observer
This is what I am finding out. I really wish Springbar would add some of the features of the Kodiak, as I would rather buy American made. No, money is not an issue but the added features that you get with the Kodiak are well worth switching to the dark side, I think.
I called Springbar asking if they could *** vents to the top of the tent, a heavier canvas floor and a vestibule. I got a no on all request The ceiling vent are a big deal for me. So, I amy be jumping on a Kodiak 10x14 or maybe a Turbo tent.

Could not agree with you more. Owned the Springbar first, saw a friend's Kodiak and jumped on it. The Springbar does have an awning, at least mine did but the groundsheet on the Kodiak was a much better quality. Springbar does sell the organizer bags but like you said no vents and those vents do make a difference.

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Not to hijack but I hadn't even thought about canvas being cooler in the heat yet it makes sense. I live in southern California and do a lot of desert camping in sandy places where when the wind kicks up sand is everywhere. How well do the kodiaks and similar tents do at being able to keep the sand out during a sand storm? I can't tell you how many times I've woken up in a small 2 man tent to have sand raining down on my wife and I because the sand blows right up under the rain fly and then sifts through the mesh top half of our nylon tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honu

lost on the mainland
Not to hijack but I hadn't even thought about canvas being cooler in the heat yet it makes sense. I live in southern California and do a lot of desert camping in sandy places where when the wind kicks up sand is everywhere. How well do the kodiaks and similar tents do at being able to keep the sand out during a sand storm? I can't tell you how many times I've woken up in a small 2 man tent to have sand raining down on my wife and I because the sand blows right up under the rain fly and then sifts through the mesh top half of our nylon tent.

I know those people that do the burning man all swear by springbar and kodiaks as a great tent that says a lot IMHO :)
and others say the same thing

our RTT with awning we had in some desert dirt windy conditions and never had anything inside at all

Honu

lost on the mainland
when we owned our Kodiak we called and bought another set of the storage hanging things :) they were $8 each so pretty cheap to get more pocket storage

sfsmedic

Adventurer
I know those people that do the burning man all swear by springbar and kodiaks as a great tent that says a lot IMHO :)
and others say the same thing

our RTT with awning we had in some desert dirt windy conditions and never had anything inside at all

Thanks Honu. You're right that says a lot.

loup407

Adventurer
If you aren't in a hurry, check out sierratradingpost.com periodically. They sell closeouts from most of the major manufacturers. I bought a huge Kelty tent for car camping from them. I don't remember the model number, but it has multiple rooms, allowing us to bring our bikes in out of the weather. I paid less than $200 for the tent, and assumed we might get a couple of years of use from the tent. That was eight years ago. Since getting a Horizon, we use it less, but have loaned it to a number of friends. With some patience, one can find some great deals on their site.

BBQ BOY

Well, I went with the Kodiak 10x14. I was planning on going with the Springbar but I got a great deal on the Kodiak. $530 with a ground tarp and includes shipping. I do plan on getting a smaller tent for when it's just me and/or another person. In that case I do plan on getting a Springbar Campsite 3. This will give me first hand knowledge of which brand is better.

aruss

If you aren't in a hurry, check out sierratradingpost.com periodically. They sell closeouts from most of the major manufacturers. I bought a huge Kelty tent for car camping from them. I don't remember the model number, but it has multiple rooms, allowing us to bring our bikes in out of the weather. I paid less than $200 for the tent, and assumed we might get a couple of years of use from the tent. That was eight years ago. Since getting a Horizon, we use it less, but have loaned it to a number of friends. With some patience, one can find some great deals on their site.

With regards to Sierra Trading Post, get on their e-mail list and/or like them on facebook, they offer 35% off coupons frequently, maybe every 10 days or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94