pop up roof help

Explore

Observer
I am thinking about starting a expo trailer when I return to the states this fall, and I have thought about adding a pop-up style roof on the trailer.
The questions I have are:

1.) has anyone thought about/or tried to use a hard truck bed cover as a platform to use?
2.) anyone thought about the old vw stlye roof on a trailer?

Not looking to break the bank for a little room, but it would be nice to stand up..
either a rear lift (trianlge) or complete pop up..

thanks in advance.

Explore

somewhere in Afghanistan... (at the moment)

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
vw popup

We have looked at this, but then you end up walking on the bed, normally not a good idea. I was using it for additional sleeping space. We have the design figured out. Just not sure about how to keep the lower bed clean.

You are not talking about a small trailer doing it, unless you are not interested in upper sleeping area.

Bob

cwadej

just a guy
This is exactly what I'm doing.
I will be using a bed cover from Undercover, canvas from a tarp for the walls, and C&R universal lift kit to raise it. My goal is comlete pop up, about 40 inches. Dont need to stand in it, but sitting would be great. This is all going on top of my trailer, the bed from a 1983 Ford Courier.I'm going to have a sub floor for the tent, resting on the bed walls. I'll be able to raise just the tent top, or the compacted tent allowing access to the trailer bed. Still in build process.

Say hi to Kandahar for me if you pass through there.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
There is a build on Expo. from a few years ago which came out nice... he use many parts from a pop up.

I have spent MANY MANY hours (days) trying to come up with a setup that would allow me to stand up & sleep 4 adults keeping it relatively low in profile and while I do have what I feel is a pretty good plan I don't have the time... and to some extent the $.

I know one or two of the hard bedcovers have a cover that scissors up several feet... possibly having some sides made up for it would fit what you're after.

Curt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior