M332 ammo trailer followed me home today

Keith_Indy

Observer
Well, it's much larger than I thought it would be, but we were able to tow it home without any problem with my Bronco.

If I decide to keep it, I'll be using the frame and suspension mostly. Wondering how much the bed of this thing weights, and what gauge metal it is.

I'll be posting pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That is a big one. But I am interested to see the out come.
Keep us posted.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!jYE651HfCeDBO9kh,2MFg~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!jYE651HfCeDBO9kh,2MFg~~60_1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 457

Keith_Indy

Observer
That is a big one. But I am interested to see the out come.
Keep us posted.

Nice looking trailer you have there.

2012-08-14_19-30-55_781.jpg

2012-08-14_19-31-18_735.jpg

Already think I've figured out how to engineer something to replace the air part of the brake system, so it would be electric over hydraulic brakes. The bed needs to go, but if the walls are thick enough I can re-use the steel as skid plating. I can see building a popup adventure camper, but the frame would still weigh a bunch, even with lightening the frame rails. I couldn't tow it with anything smaller.

Last edited:

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Nice looking trailer you have there.

2012-08-14_19-30-55_781.jpg

2012-08-14_19-31-18_735.jpg

Already think I've figured out how to engineer something to replace the air part of the brake system, so it would be electric over hydraulic brakes. The bed needs to go, but if the walls are thick enough I can re-use the steel as skid plating. I can see building a popup adventure camper, but the frame would still weigh a bunch, even with lightening the frame rails. I couldn't tow it with anything smaller.

I'd bet most of the weight is in the axle, I bet you could lighten the frame a bit and swap the axle and you would lose a ton of weight. If a M101A3 can get pulled by a Jeep Unlimited after an axle swap I bet this would be similar.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
1. remove the box and build a lighter one
2. replace the axle with a lighter model with matching FORD bolt pattern
3. lose the 100 pound landing leg and replace with a weld on swivel tongue jack.
4. cut off any unused hardware, hoses handles or frame add ons.

Keep the lunette set up it works well with the bronco.
The frame looks good and will be a little heavy but a good start.
Sell the axle, landing leg, brake parts and scrap the box. " get your money back for the price of the trailer"

Did you get a good deal?

Steelsoldiers.com is the place to sell the parts.

Keep us posted on the build.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
M332 TM steel soldiers

Length overall 148 in. (375.9 cm)
Width overall 95 in. (241.3 cm)
Height overall 53 1/4 in.
Weight (empty) 2800 lb (1270 kg)

Keith_Indy

Observer
I'd bet most of the weight is in the axle, I bet you could lighten the frame a bit and swap the axle and you would lose a ton of weight. If a M101A3 can get pulled by a Jeep Unlimited after an axle swap I bet this would be similar.

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind. Your other suggestions were along the lines I was thinking. steelsoldiers.com has been a good source of info so far. Thanks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles