Axle and Tire combo

kraqus

Norcalwood
I am baffled and need an explanation.

I am looking to get a Cargo Trailer and convert it into a Off road camping trailer.
I called Carson Trailer today asking for the "Racer" 5x8 model. It comes with a 3500lb torsion axle stock from the factory so I asked the salesman to put a 3500lb straight axle SOA mod. He said no problem, then I asked for it to match my Tacoma lug pattern 6 on 5.5, to which He asked why. I said to him I want to match the tires on my truck so that I can then carry ONE SPARE only.
He said you are not supposed to put Car tires on Trailers, I asked him WHY, but he just kept saying you are NOT supposed to, trailer tires are special, blah, blah.......so now I am perplexed. I see so many trailer builds out there with huge tires, 31", 33" ,35 ' , etc.....

What was this guy talking about? DOT compliance?
Or are you guys running special axle Combos?

Sorry for the rookie question but the salesman was not helpful at all.

Benny

Last edited:

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Just tell him to put the axle you WANT on the trailer some of these tire stores can be a pain. A trailer tire has a stiffer side wall so it will not flex/sway so much while being pulled normal tires have a bit of softness to them for a comfortable ride hence if the sidewall is to soft on the trailer you will get sway. ANY tire labeled with an ST (special trailer) or LT (light truck) are fully rated for trailer application... If the tire has a P (metric) you just have to reduce the load by 9%. I converted my cargo trailer to an off road trailer as well.... good luck and post some pics..... Thomas

TrueLies

I think that guy you had on the phone is just pushing the "text book" line.

Maybe it has to do with what his management told him to give as the answer for anything relating to this question.
Maybe he *trusted* the answer he was given and just passes it on without understanding it himself.
Maybe there's a legal angle to this and he will always give this answer when it's employee-talking-to-customer.

-----------------------------------

Here is what I understand it to be.
Please comment or correct as needed.

The only significant design element to look for is the load limit.
Most passenger or light truck tires (based on size) are likely to be rated to carry less than a trailer tire.
Many passenger or light truck tires have the load index B spec. So does some trailer tires.
There aren't many "normal" tires with load index C. Very few with load index D. Etc.
That's why 12-inch trailer tires (a pair) can carry over 3,000 lbs. Most passenger car tires cannot come close to this.

The other considerations of tread design or "handling" characteristics are very minor.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
pick the wheel and tire combo you want to use to measure back spacing and flange to flange measurements.
This will probably confuse the dealer more.

kraqus

Norcalwood
pick the wheel and tire combo you want to use to measure back spacing and flange to flange measurements.
This will probably confuse the dealer more.

Ha ha ha! I may just do that for kicks....

Things are a bit more clear now concerning the tires.
What about wheel hubs? are they OK for big tires?
Will the bearings be OK with the extra stress?
Do you carry an extra set in case of failure?

Benny

Robert Bills

Explorer
No one can tell you whether the hubs you are considering are up to the stress of "large" tires without knowing which hubs and which wheel/tire combination you are considering. However, the offroad trailer manufacturers who use Dexter 3500# axles often use 33" and 35" tires, and I don't recall any reports here of owners running that combination who have had hub failures. Your application may be different, as a Carson 5x8 fully loaded can be quite heavy.

That being said, I always carry spare bearings, seals, grease, etc. I've seen too many trailers by the side of the highway with roasted bearings and no spare parts. Makes for a long day.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Tell them you want a dexter 3500 straight and not arched.
As for wheel size. If it is a heavy axle it will take the loads and latteral forces.

navigator

Adventurer
I think cowboy nailed it, the trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls to help with trailer sway. A loaded cargo trailer catches a lot of wind. The dealer may not realize that many offroad tires also have stiffer sidewalls to help prevent punctures when aired down.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
As cowboy says, no problems, just use a LT tire that all of us use now.

I am curious as to why you would want to change the torsion axle out. You do know that axle is the same axle that is being used on all new US Military and NATO trailers world wide. It is an excellent axle and will work perfectly for off road service. I would carry extra bearings for any axle, that was very good advice.

Also the 6 on 5.5 is what comes standard on the Dexter torsion axle, I use them on all of my trailers and have been for nearly 25 years. You will need different lug nuts though.

Bob

kraqus

Norcalwood
The reason why I wanted to change the Axle is because I have not seen a Torsion axle on any build yet.
So you could say it was out of ignorance which is the reason for this thread.
I just checked your website and the trailer you build...excellent work!
If you put a Torsion axle on your trailers then I am sold.
For some reason I thought it to be a "standard"(springs) for off road trailers.

Benny

kraqus

Norcalwood
One more question!
How do you deal with the spacing between the tire and the trailer wall?
The stock tires are way smaller than an off road tire so they will rub.
Do you use back spacers? Or special order the Axle to be a few inches longer on each side?

Benny

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Buy the wheels and tires you want to run
Drop them to the trailer maker mounted and balanced
Tell them that these are what you want on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior