www.walkabout2408.com - The adventure so far...

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
David did Benjy pass along the invite for the two of you to join us for an Epic Utah trip after Expo?

Ray

The Overland Adventure restarts

Hi All,

I am re-awakening this thread, as it time to hit the road again. 2/3 round 1/3 to go to complete my RTW.

For the past two years I have been working in Australia and slowly bringing the Land Rover back to full health.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be living life back out on the road again. The first part of the plan is a lap of Australia. Then ship to India and drive back to Europe via Pakistan, Iran and Turkey.

I'll be building a facebook page for the Australia trip and will post a link here when its live.

In the mean time to wet your travel buds here is a video of my Fraser Island trip last Christmas.
https://youtu.be/zUvtMxhh1w4

Viva la adventure...

One Month on the road.

At the start of any trip there is the organised chaos that is the final days of preparation before the big off. You would have thought that having been through this phase several times, that I would have it down pat. Unfortunately it never seams to work that way, as circumstances are often different. So the two weeks after handing my notice in a work were as busy and frantic as ever.
Friends and family would often ask me if I was excited about heading off on another trip. Deep down you always are, but the feels on the surface are rather more concern with the present and that job list that needs completing before you roll out the drive way. However when the day comes when you jump in your car for that last time (of for at least a considerably long time) on your own drive way. Run through a mental list of everything that has been been packed, jobs ticked off. So the felling of excitement of what lays ahead washes over you at last.

So one month down the road, where do I find myself. Well, physically some 5,000 miles from where I have set off. But already as I look back at that month I have covered not only a lot of ground but have experienced a great deal. Met friendly people and seen cool and interesting places. All the reasons you travel in the first place and at this stage I haven't even left the same country.

One would say more important is how I feel. Free is the answer. Free of the daily grind of the rat race. Free to go where I like. Free on many levels of financial pressures, and its great. Unfortunately this does not happen like a switch as you drive away on the first day. You have as many thoughts whizzing about your head as if on any of the previous 14 days of build up. But as those days tick by so you thoughts relax. Life becomes simpler and the your confidence as a traveller returns. Old skills reignite themselves. Building fires, finding wild camp sites, assessing people and situations quickly and over coming problems. This I feel often becomes easier with the clarity of thought you have when you are relaxed and confident in yourself. So in a way Australia, with out the complications of language and cultural differences, is proving a good warm up for the second stage of this trip. Shipping too and driving back to Jersey from India.

P7040149.jpg
P7090221.jpg
P7100231.jpg

Steep Point, where is that?

Steep Point, where is that?

It would appear that more people know where Little Creatures Brewery is than where Steep Point is. I found this surprising as a lot of people touring Australia I have spoken to, have either been to “The Tip” on Cape York or its on their wish list. So I naturally figured they would want to seek out the other extremities of the great island too.

So why is Steep Point so special. Well, its more than just the most Westerly point on mainland Australia, its a mini adventure in its own right. Long known to keen fisherman as a great fishing spot, Steep Point is the Western entrance to Shark bay. Well known as a breading ground for Sharks and plenty of other marine life too. As you cast your bait and take in the magnificent view. Its not uncommon to see passing Hump back Whales breach and Dolphins cruise by. But half the fun is getting there.

Steep Point is 144KM from the turn off with the main road to Denham. The first section is straight forward, following a wide graded track 75KM to the Shark Bay Resources Salt farm. Here is quickly reduces to a single sandy track. With corrugation and soft sandy areas. Therefore a 4x4 is essential and preferably one with high ground clearance. Lowering tire pressures is also essential to you making easy progress and helping to reduce damage to the track. A couple of sandy hill climbs also make it interesting, but reward you with great views across the coast as you follow the track North West. The final stage is slow going over sharp rocky tracks to the all important sign and photo opportunity. Don't forget to sign your name in the visitors book for bragging rights with your mates. Its also worth a little walk around the cliff tops to appreciate the massive Indian Ocean swells and their power has they slam into the cliffs below. Be careful around the cliff edge though. As its a long drop to the water and an even longer swim to the nearest beach!

All along the route to the Point beyond the rangers station, there is various options to camp. From white sandy beaches to isolated areas amongst the cliffs tops. From the beaches you are able to launch fishing boats, whilst the cliff top locations give easy casting into deep waters. Either way you can't fail with the views, especially at dawn and dusk when the colours in the sky can be amazing.

The area Steep Point is situated in, is not a one hit wonder. Which makes a trip to area even more appealing. On the main road in from the North West Coastal Highway you have Hamlin Pool. This is home to microscopic life forms called Stromatolites. These are credited with being the oldest living life forms on the planet and have thought to have been around for some 3.5 billion years. You might think that being microscopic you are not going to be able to see them. Whilst that is true, you can see the low rock stacks the collective colony build in the shallow waters. At the same location you also have an old telegraph station and quarry of compacted sea shell blocks, which where used to build local buildings in the early days. Further down the road is Shell Beach. With its wide sweeping bay filled with banks of billions of tiny clam shells contrasting bright white with the blue shallow sea. A great place for a lunch stop and just take it all in. Following the main road further north to the small town of Denham, which has all the practicalities of food shops, fuel and caravan parks. It also has opportunities for local tours and fishing charters. Following the sealed road to the end brings you to Monkey Mia and the opportunity to see the local Dolphins being fed by hand twice daily in the morning. Be aware there is a entrance charge to the Monkey Mia resort area. Also on the way to Monkey Mia is the turn off into the Cape Peron National Park. The hour long drive on deep sandy tracks is worth the effort for the well spaced camping areas and tropical beaches of Bottle Bay. Where you can enjoy swimming, walking along the beach and fishing to your harts content. Or just relax with a cold beer watching the sun melt into the ocean at the end of the day.

So the if the draw of bagging the most Westerly point on mainland Australia is not enough. Let the great camp sites, stunning views and great fishing make this area the top choice for your next 4x4 trip.

Graded track at start.JPG
Follwoing the route along the beach.JPG
The most western point in mainland Australia.JPG
Dawn - Camping at Steep Point.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles