www.walkabout2408.com - The adventure so far...

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
If you need any help procuring one in the US and shipping Fedex, or some other fast shipping option, please let me know. Happy to help you out David. Least I could do since I never got to help with recommendations when you were out on Nicoya.

You have a TD5 in that right? With stock gear box?

Last edited:
Hi there,

The problem is not getting the parts in a western country. The problem is getting them through Bolivian customs. From what I hear DHL/FedEx parcels can get held up for weeks. Thanks for the offer though and I´ll let you know if you can help in anyway.

Cheers, David

The two key components to the clutch problem.

Clutch plate recovered with me friction material
2013-02-26 18.57.03.jpg

Replacement spigot bush adapted from close match by filing inner and outer diameters to size.
2013-02-26 18.57.23.jpg

Then put the whole thing back together and we have a working clutch, yipee!

So after fixing the clutch and a little test trip to the train Grave yard, I was back on the road.

First stop was the eastern side of the Salar de Unyui. Which I had missed by being towed by it in the dark.
DSCF2075.jpg
In the wet season you can enjoy some fantastic reflections of the sky and landscape in the salty waters.
Check out my flickr gallery for more shots http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpriddis/

Then I headed down to the South West circuit. An area of stunning high altitude landscape, Salt lakes and mud geysers.
DSCF2128.jpgDSCF2166.jpgDSCF2199.jpgDSCF2250.jpgP3030006.jpg

A high light was taking a bath in a volcanic thermal pool with amazing view across a lake and to the mountains beyond.
P3030010.jpg

Then it was onto the border with Chile and a sharp decent to the town of San Pedro de Atacama on the other side. Where border formalities were completed.
DSCF2264.jpg

The last couple of days I have been pushing hard south and are now in the Port city of Valparaiso.

Have crossed over to Argentina. Met up with Life Remotely and Lost World Expeditions last night. Now back to the plan of heading south fast.

I'm liking Argentina so far. Staying at a brewery with camping, WiFi and lots of other facilities. Plus you get a free beer when you check in. More campsites should be like this :)

Have been covering the many Kilometres south. Stopping in amazing wild camps and checking out the mountains at El Chalten and the Glacier near El Calafate. Loving Patagonia!!!
DSCF2432.jpgDSCF2438.jpg
Great wild camping

DSCF2367.jpgDSCF2375.jpg
Cave Painting at Cueva de las Manos

DSCF2538.jpgDSCF2577.jpg
Hiking and camping over night at Laguna Torre near El Chalten.

DSCF2699.jpgDSCF2717.jpg
Checking out the Moreno Glacier near El Calafate.

I'm at the end of the world! Well, sort of. I have arrived in Ushuaia after 1 year, 66 days on the road in the Americas. I have covered 43,905 miles (71,125 Km) passing through the Arctic circle, both tropics and the Equator. I have seen a lot of amazing things. Some of the highest mountains in the world, wild rivers, tropical jungles, active volcano's and underwater caves. I have seen man made wonders, from cave painting, stone idols, ancient buildings to the Panama Canal. I've been to world famous sites and places that no one has ever heard of. Is it over? Not quite! Over the next couple of weeks I will head north to Buenos Aires and arrange shipping to Australia, where my next adventure starts...

DSCF2764Small.jpg

Last edited:
A screen shot of the GPS track of my route from Prudhoe Bay, Dead Horse to Ushuaia, Argentina.
RouteSoFar25-03-13.JPG

Attachments

• RouteSouthAmericaSoFar25-03-13.JPG
    RouteSouthAmericaSoFar25-03-13.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Plans have changed quite a bit in the last week. Now shipping out of Montevideo, as its looking cheaper than Bueno Aires.
Met with the shipping agent today and all is looking good for loading the Landy into a container in a couple of days.

Working on booking a flight now to the US, so I can make it to Overland ExPo.
Might just see you there.

Laters, David

Updated

Well, shipping plans are coming together here in Montevideo. All going well I will load the Land Rover into a container early next week.
I now have my permanent import permit to Australia for the Land Rover. It has only taken 6 weeks!!! of e-mails and documents.
This is a import step, as I plan to stay a couple of years. So a temporary import permit with a Carnet (Only allows 1 year) would not do it.
Flights are booked, so I'll be stopping by Overland ExPo on my way to Australia. I'll be arriving with Benjy Davenport. A fellow Brit in a Land Rover Defender.
Check out his website, as hes doing it for a very personal charity to him. So all support and help is great appreciated.
http://www.cornwall2capehorn.com/

Take it easy, David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles