Camp Cot Storage, Where and in What?

College Kid

Adventurer
My wife and I have graduated off the ground to a couple of cots for car camping. The "stuff sack" bags of the used ones we picked up for a song have seen better days, so I am wondering if anyone has had any luck finding a replacements, or even better some sort of hard case for them, as I have another dilemma.

How are we are going to fit these massive units in the back of the Disco, Where do you guys put them? With a little one and a dog taking up the back seat I am thinking maybe on the floor at their feet? Or if I could find a hard container maybe the roof?

Thoughts?

6x6pinz

Adventurer
When I was using my Durango I used to store the cots, tents, sleeping bags, and the like in a yakima roof basket. I would wrap them in a canvas tarp "burrito" style. Worked great as long as it did not rain hard. We then moved up to the Pack-a-sport which worked great all the time. Everything was locked up and kept dry and dust free. It is amazing how much you can pack in one of those things, we had the larger version. Still use it to store skis and snow boards when hitting the slopes.

Since you are new to the cot world I will add a small piece of advice about them. Use your ground mat (therma rest) on them and you will be as comfortable as can be.

College Kid

Adventurer
I have to apologize for my wording, I am coming from a minimalist mentality when all I need I carried on my back. I've never taken a chair camping before, so you'll have to bare with me as I get used to all this larger and bulky gear.

The cots are outbound extra larges. They are around 42 inches long and 6-8 inch diameter when stored. I had totally forgotten about my yakima ski box. I guess that solves the where to put them although I am not a huge fan of having that live on the roof all summer as it does in the winter, (can't get in the garage).

I like the idea of the army duffel too, probably get them both in one and ditch the original sacs totally. I could also store the tent poles in it as well.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have to apologize for my wording, I am coming from a minimalist mentality when all I need I carried on my back. I’ve never taken a chair camping before, so you'll have to bare with me as I get used to all this larger and bulky gear.

The cots are outbound extra larges. They are around 42 inches long and 6-8 inch diameter when stored. I had totally forgotten about my yakima ski box. I guess that solves the where to put them although I am not a huge fan of having that live on the roof all summer as it does in the winter, (can't get in the garage).

I like the idea of the army duffel too, probably get them both in one and ditch the original sacs totally. I could also store the tent poles in it as well.

I went from being a minimalist, to car camping, to an off-road tent trailer over the years. After our latest trip I asked my wife if we could ever go back to just a tent and we might do that before long. One thing I have learned though is that anything on the roof uses more gas than having a hitch mounted cargo carrier or pulling a tiny trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles