What brand of roof cargo basket do you recommend ?

What brand of roof cargo basket do you recommend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Thule MOAB 690
yakima Load warrior
yakima mega warrior
rola
safari pro-line
surco

the vehicle I want to mount this on will be my yukon for FYI
off road lighting options are a plus
looks like the surco & yakima are the ones with options for this for additional $$

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
That one looks very similar to the Coleman rack I have. I don't carry heavy loads on my roof but it has been great for firewood, wet stuff after a beach trip, carrying two kayaks, etc. I just couldn't justify a high dollar rack for what little I use it for.
042312podA.jpg

Snarky

Hell Paso
I had a mega warrior back in the early 2000's, i hated that thing. More is not always better. It was heavy, didnt like to stay put with the yakima cross bar, and rusted rather quickly.

I do actually have a pic lying around of it on my old exploder.

22810trailfront.jpg

I'm sure the same qualities are true of most big steel racks/gear baskets. I'm taking a hard look at alloy made stuff now. Specifically trying to decide between the steel or alloy ARB rack.

wjgc

surco roof rack

I highly recomend SURCO. Some of my friends have used thier racks for years so I got one for my Jeep ZJ and couldn't be more happy. It's light and strong. Their customer service is great too. One of the mounts broke and after I sent SURCO a pic of the broken mount they sent me a new one for free. I did pay for 2 day shipping but I requested the rush on the shipping. They are great to deal with and you can actually speak to a human when you call SURCO.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Snarky & wjgc thanks for the comments I will consider those facts in my final decisions

Kohburn

Adventurer
i've got the rola with the length extension on my durango - really happy with it. the top tube is large enough for some standard tube light mounts.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
i love my surco, but i am not sure it is for everyone. my favorite thing about it is that it is lightweight. mostly i put stuff like chairs, tents, etc up on the roof, so it's perfect for that.

Figure I'll throw in my .02 since I went through this not too long ago. I picked up a Curt rack with an extension and it suits our needs perfectly. $197 shipped w/ a spider bungee from Amazon. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, but wanted something with decent quality. So far it has been great, easy to assemble and load from the back of the car or the sides. Chairs, wood, random tubs, and the stroller all fit up there perfectly. Good luck with your search.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
you can order a surco rack at any key auto parts store or pep boys.........

I seen the surco's & my only complaint is that I liek more flooring, so I would have to but the additional kit to boot

I think I am really leaning towards the megawarrior

DMT

K7DMT
I'll chime in here. For my '94 Suburban I leaning towards the Rola or Surco, but then I found a Megawarrior with the extension and several other options locally on Craigslist. It was in great shape and the price was irresistible, so I went with it. I have not regretted it. I mounted it on three cross bars to distribute the weight more evenly. It is important to re-tighten after the first few weeks. I learned that the hard way in an intense cross-wind which caused my canoe to act as a "sail" and push the entire cargo carrier over several inches. Now that it is properly tightened, I've had no problems with it and am amazed at its versatility and utility, especially for the main purpose I use it for -- carrying my redwood canoe, several paddles and duffel bags which I stow up inside the canoe.Hebgen 2012.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94