New Softopper.com topper

beags86

Adventurer
Hi all I just wanted to put a quick review of the softopper and the people that work there. I know there are some threads on the softopper, but I thought I would add my own input. Since there are other threads on this i will keep it short, and spare the install info.
I don't post here much most just lurk around the site, but since I had such a good experience I knew I had to write something. I live in Denver, CO so Boulder is just a short drive away. With this said instead of having them ship me my topper I thought I would go up to their main office and buy it first hand. When I got there everyone was very nice, respectful, and professional. They offered to install it for me but I declined. I mean isn't half the fun of buying this stuff the fun of installing it?

softtpper.jpg
softopper.JPG

Over all my first impressions are very good, much better then I thought they would be. The thing doesn't move around alot going down the road, it's built better then i anticipated. mind you it's not going to be as watertight or dust free as fiberglass top, but i dont think they are really marketing it to be. but if you want a top that it lightweight, easy to take on and off, and looks a little different then the rest. Then this is the top for you. Pretty easy to install as well. Over a class act business and so far a outstanding product. I will update this tread after a few months.

Last edited:

85CUCV

Adventurer
That looks good. Thanks for the company review.

I've been looking for some time at tan Softopper for my K5. Maybe this fall.

Any long term reports from owners? I'm wondering how the windows hold up.

Dan

beags86

Adventurer
That looks good. Thanks for the company review.

I've been looking for some time at tan Softopper for my K5. Maybe this fall.

Any long term reports from owners? I'm wondering how the windows hold up.

Dan

once i get a K5 again i will be for sure picking one of these up for it, i am so happy with mine now and having had a K5 in the past, i know i want one. I never wanted to take the top off it because it was a PITA. after finding this product i would for sure buy one for it. easy to roll up the sides or take it off to enjoy summer weather but being able to throw it back on quickly in case of rain.

Last edited:

jbumx2

Observer
I've got a softopper on my nissan frontier and I love the versatility. Bought it used a couple years ago. Only complaint is the upper corners of the back window are beginning to split where the canvas meets the clear plastic. I will probably buy a replacement window before winter comes.

jbumx2

Observer
The rear window is attached with velcro on top and zippers on the sides. The front window is attached with velcro on all three sides.

beags86

Adventurer
*Update*
After 6 months of haveing this little top on my wife's truck I am completely in love with this product. On Labor Day we went on a camping/atv trip to the dunes and a buddy of mine that didn't know how the back flap work ended up pulling on it and tearing it a little bit. Well it didn't affect anything so I wasn't to worried about it but I knew I would get it fix or a new one sometime. Well after a few months I decided to get a full canvas rear for it. (more on that later) so I called them up to "order" my full canvas rear. You can't buy them from the website but I had asked about this before. So while I was ordering I asked about the torn stitching. They told told me to bring it up when I picked up my other back they would fix it on the spot. Which they did while I waited and it only took about 5 minutes. Another good experience dealing with them first hand.

Now the cons. The rear flap. Nothing to lock up ( I knew this going in) the main reason I bought the full canvas non window rear. If poeple can't see they would be less likely to steal something.

The rear flap has to be un velcroed and then unzipped and you have to remove the rear bar. All of this is a real pain in the ***** when your trying to do errands around town.

The pros. Access to the sides with just a few snaps. Worked awesome for us when packed up.
Easy easy easy to take the unit on and off as a whole when needed to haul big things.

All in all this is a nice unit that I could mark my stamp of approval on. I would recommend this product to anyone looking into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles