LifeProof Nuud for the iPad

BrianTN

Adventurer
I just bought one. Hopefully it'll be here next week. The main drawback that I can see is there is no protection for the screen. So far I've loved the LifeProof case for my iPhone.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure how it can be waterproof to 2 meters for 30minutes if there is no screen. Plus, they have this listed on the specs.

"◦CrystalClear double AR coated real glass lens for high quality images"

ventura911

Adventurer
Having been a satisfied customer with their iPhone case, I was an early subscriber to their waiting list. I was a bit disappointed, however, on how they handled the announcement the other day. I opened the e-mail and made my order about 45-50 minutes after they sent it. I got a order confirmation and saw that their free cover/stand, included at no charge for early adopters, was backordered, but the case was available. Then the confirmation e-mail came saying the same thing. No big deal, until I received another e-mail in which they now informed me everything was back ordered. When I checked with their customer service to see how my confirmation turned out to be otherwise, I was told they were sorry I was disappointed, but "(t)he iPad has been highly anticipated and extremely popular..." and I would be notified when they fill and ship it. Well, duh, thanks.

I'm hoping that the company is merely suffering growing pains, much like they did when the iPhone case first came out. I just find it hard to understand how they had an insufficient quantity to fill orders they basically solicited off the wait list. Weren't they at least prepared to fill the numbers anticipated from the list?

Anyway, still looking forward to the case, whenever it arrives.

Drew Mohebbi

Having been a satisfied customer with their iPhone case, I was an early subscriber to their waiting list. I was a bit disappointed, however, on how they handled the announcement the other day. I opened the e-mail and made my order about 45-50 minutes after they sent it. I got a order confirmation and saw that their free cover/stand, included at no charge for early adopters, was backordered, but the case was available. Then the confirmation e-mail came saying the same thing. No big deal, until I received another e-mail in which they now informed me everything was back ordered. When I checked with their customer service to see how my confirmation turned out to be otherwise, I was told they were sorry I was disappointed, but "(t)he iPad has been highly anticipated and extremely popular..." and I would be notified when they fill and ship it. Well, duh, thanks.

I'm hoping that the company is merely suffering growing pains, much like they did when the iPhone case first came out. I just find it hard to understand how they had an insufficient quantity to fill orders they basically solicited off the wait list. Weren't they at least prepared to fill the numbers anticipated from the list?

Anyway, still looking forward to the case, whenever it arrives.

I also ordered one with the free stand.

The email itself was sending mixed signals in my opinion.

I actually assumed it wasn't ready for sale yet, saw your post and was thinking "This guy is an idiot!" Well, you have my apologies for thinking that, even if I didn't post that.

They called it a Pre-Order. If anyone had any doubles about what "Pre-Order" meant, Amazon really has defined it:
G13k+

This is their email they sent out for a...
Pre-Order...
Available Now...
Buy Now
Backordered (in an email update)...
Case
NGXP+

ventura911

Adventurer
Good eye, Drew! Thanks for showing LifeProof's mixed messages. I'll give LifeProof a break, as I never saw the "pre-order" in the first e-mail title, nor in the link I followed from it; everything seemed to say, "Buy now!" It's therefore quite possible that their stock might come in at any moment and the order will be filled within the 5-7 days they show. In fact, I'll give them credit for not charging me yet!

In my opinion, the company had some growing pains when they started due to success; this might just be another one. I've been impressed with their phone case and believe their iPad case will be a quality product.

(And no worries on the "idiot" thought you DIDN'T post; if I didn't quite earn it here, I've earned it elsewhere!)

Drew Mohebbi

Yeah, I have their case for my iPhone, too.

It's faired better on my motorcycle in the rain than the Garmin 60Csx, which is supposed to be waterproof, but now has electrical damage...what Apple called "intermittent shutdown" when they released their first Macbook (this was before the fans started "mooing").

I am very impressed with their iPhone case as well and hope they can get these things out soon!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
They are based in San Diego and are experiencing explosive growth, I hope they stay true to their roots since the 4S case is bomber.

ventura911

Adventurer
Well, let me start by offering my apologies to LifeProof; the case, cover, and stand arrived today (and about 5 hours before I received the "your product has shipped" e-mail).

Quick review: like the iPhone case, it feels good in the hand and appears very sturdy. There are o-rings for both the front and the back halves, and during the 3-minute water submersion test (much shorter than the phone case test, for some reason), I had no leaks. It seems strange to go "nuud" and work with the glass screen rather than the plastic cover on the Gumdrop case I had, but the screen is sharp and bright again.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Ventura,

I was on the fence about ordering this as I wasn't sure if there was any sort of screen protector (i.e. something that covers the OEM Apple glass). So are you saying there is some kind of screen protector over the naked OEM Apple glass? If so, then I may shell out the $150.

TIA

EDIT -- never mind...just read the link provided above. Interesting..... Hesitant to purchase for some reason but it apparently works. Just curious what happens when/if the seal lets go on the glass screen. I'm using a Griffin Survivor now and for the 2 weeks I've had my iPad I've been sufficiently happy with it...especially for the $40 I paid for it. As much as I love my new little iPad baby, I'm not sure I can drop $150 bones on a case.

ventura911

Adventurer
While I'm optimistic the design is going to perform as advertised, I'm realistic enough that I won't bet my (iPad's) life on it. Plus, I just haven't found a need to use the tablet while submerged!

TACO721

Observer
looks cool. but idk about no plastic cover over screen.(as i understand from just looking over this thread) but i have the case on my Iphone 4. and love it!! take it in the shower fore music, has been in the hot tub and the pool. also freaked some people out at a restraint when i put it in my glass of coke.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The warranty page confuses me even more about the screen protection issue (is there or isn't there any?). Ventura, please let us know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne