Should I buy this M 416?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I have a chance to buy a M416 from a guy near my home. He wants $500, but will listen to offers. The Trailer is rough and really looks to need alot of work. Theres a big hole in the right hand side and the floor is gone. I thought I might offer $350 for it.

You guys think i should bit or could this be more trouble than its worth?

Nate

photo (1).JPGphoto.JPGphoto2.JPG

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
How much work are you willing/able to do? If you've got the time and means, explain to him that you're a part of a forum that has expertise in these trailers and you know what they're worth - this one being worth about $200 at best. He'll balk. Give him your name and phone number, and tell him to call if he's interested... If nothing else, if you stripped it down, it would probably scrap for that amount, so nothing lost.

--------
Edit: Hmmm... scrap prices not too good on unprep'd steel. In any case, if and only if you want to spend the time, $200 would be a good price. Don't negotiate if he calls you...!

Last edited:

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
The lunette and brake hardware are worth $200 alone. I probably would have bought it and parted it out. You would have more than $200 just into a frame to build your own.

Scrambler84

Observer
Got mine today to, been watch off and on for about 6 months, hit craigslist every day fro about 250 miles around DC area finally got a pretty good one.

Vince1

Adventurer
One thing often overlooked when buying these things is whether it has registration. Depending on your state laws, this could be worth a lot of time and money by itself. In my area, it is almost impossible to plate a trailer without some existing paperwork.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Thanks for the great advice! Glad I held out and didn't buy that trailer. I just bought two m416 for $1200 that are in 100% better shape in Houston. I'm going to pick them up on the first of September.

Good deal too with a bunch of tires and parts to go with them.

Thanks again

Nate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior