Part 1 of my iPad Overland Navi Overview

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting.

The author prefers Fullpower Motion X GPS HD software because it has a more useable interface.

RobRed

Explorer
If you didnt see it... Catch the link at the bottom of the article. It jumps to a FAQ on the iPad that answers most of the practical questions about gps and 3G/4G.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Torquey

Adventurer
Excellent write up. Thank you for sharing. I just bought the iPad today as my new nav device, I was fed up with trying to see the tiny display on my Garmin Oregon!

RobRed

Explorer
Thanks guys. Would love to hear about your setups and experience.

I'm putting together a comparison of the apps available which I hope to be done within a week or two. Check back on the blog or follow @tlcfaq (http://twitter.com/tlcfaq)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hey great article thanks for posting. I was curious how GPS would work without 3G signal :)
Jaxs,

The ipad GPS works separately from the cellular 3G signal and does not require a 3G signal to acquire it's location. That said, I've read that your mapping apps can use the 3G signal to help acquire it's location more quickly. In my experience, it doesn't take much time for my 3G ipad 2 to find itself (no 3G contract) when I turn off 3G.

BTW, RobRed, that's a nice write-up on using the ipad for Navigation. Been using a wifi version w/ the dual xgps-150 for a couple of years as well with mixed results (mostly due to poor bluetooth reliability). Recently purchased a 3G iPad and have had much better luck with it.

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
Good feedback off-roader. I have always poo-poo'd the BT dongle approach as it's one more device to manage. And BT is so interference prone. Having said that I can understand why someone with a wifi only device may not want to reinvest in an ipad so the Bad Elf or Dual are good solutions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles