How young is to young to start kids camping?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
At 6 months the immune system has kicked in according to my doctor, so long as the child has no health issues with breathing there should be no problem in the outback. Keep them out of the sun. Skeeter netting would be a good thing too. My parents took me as an infant and I lived through it.... :)

bobDog

Expedition Leader
At 6 months the immune system has kicked in according to my doctor, so long as the child has no health issues with breathing there should be no problem in the outback. Keep them out of the sun. Skeeter netting would be a good thing too. My parents took me as an infant and I lived through it.... :)

Wow.....never even thought about immune .. netting is a great idea. Be doing that w the grand chillin.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

sfsmedic

Adventurer
I guess I think differently as a hunter. I just see toddlers as my lion bait and 3 year olds as curiously getting into things they shouldn't. It's about time I start giving this a go though. Bought a nice big canvas tent to start things rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Hungry car sees toddler trotting in camp and gets bold enough to run through and scoop it up. If they eat my bikers then this is easy. Anyone coyote hunt? Ever hear the rabbit in distress call? I swear its a baby crying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwsqbm

Explorer
Camping is just living without the normal luxuries. People do it with newborns all the time in third world countries. Any precautions you'd have to take toward four legged predators are pretty much the same as the ones you take daily toward two legged ones.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Kids are never too young, they learn from us, so it provides us the opportunity away from media to teach them what we want...

camping4.jpg

camping1.jpg

JasonJLamb

Observer
I agree with an earlier poster about the immune system. We just had twin girls a month ago, and our doctor advised us to stay away from big crowds for at least a couple of months--and she's not at all an alarmist. From our reading six months seems like a good time to start. Immune system is up and running, and they are [hopefully] sleeping through the night.

Since my kids were born in September, we probably won't go until late next spring to avoid any harsh weather. And even then we'll start by camping at local state parks (we have several within a 50-mile radius).

Man, I can't wait!

Cleand

Adventurer
We started our son camping at four months. I wasnt sure about his body temp, so the first couple times I would wake up about three times a night to make sure he was warm enough. If he could talk he would have told me he was fine. For the colder nights we bought him one of those full body snow suits. That way we dont have to worry about blankets or sleeping bags being kicked off.
IMG_6797.jpgIMG_6827.jpg

Joash

Adventurer
It all depends on what you want to do on your trip. Sometimes the very young ones are easier to camp with than kids that are slightly older. When my son was one, we took him camping in Joshua Tree National Park. We went on all kinds of hikes with him on my back. Once they are able to get around on their own and too heavy to carry on your back all day, then you have to adapt your activities to their abilities, interests and attention span.

I have found that very young children love camping! I have camped with two year olds and they really enjoyed the whole campsite experience: setting up the tent, building the fire, roasting marshmallows etc. You just have to be very vigilant in a new environment with them since they are no longer confined by the walls of your home!

As usual with small children, be realistic about how much time you want to spend and how much you want to cover.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
We took our daughter when she was around a 14 months. She did great sleepingwise. She slept on a makeshift bed of blankets in our cabin tent at our head. She was close enough to comfort if she started to cry (which wasn't much). We did a close overnighter just to see how she'd do in case it got too cold or she was miserable. My in-law's with their 3 month younger baby was with us as well. We went when the weather was still warm so we didn't have to worry about being too cold.

The only crappy part about taking a child that young camping, is that we had to be extra vigilant of her getting too close to the fire, and walking around picking up everything. We were in a good spot, but there was some broken glass strewn about that he had to be careful of.

Overall it was a good experience to test how she would do.

I think that as long as you go prepared, and the child isn't super sensitive to surroundings, and the weather is still somewhat warm, there shouldn't be any issues.

krnnerdboy

Adventurer
We took our 4 month old into the jungles of Costa Rica(gunacaste region) she was fine as well as us. She took a lot of my energy but it was worth it. We sure did get a lot of stink eye from the other tourists as well as audible discussions about us but I wasn't phased by it. My wife on the other hand -_-

JPL

Technically, when children are still inside the womb they're not camping, the mother is, IMHO.

There are still plenty of nomadic people's in the world who 'camp' all the time, so there is no too young. Just keep them bundled up so they don't get cold. They'll succumb before a larger child or an adult, purely based on body mass.

Storz

Explorer
We plan to camp for the first time with ours next April, he'll be 8 months old at that point. We'd go earlier but with winter coming it makes that a little more difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior