How young is to young to start kids camping?

eric1115

Adventurer
We started our son at ~7 months and wish we'd done earlier. It took him several nights to get used to sleeping in the tent. He's three now and LOVES camping. Our daughter was born this summer and was camping at around three weeks old. Crawling is a tough age for camping, but immobile is easy and walking is easy.

Northern_Touch

Many of my best memories are camping with my parents when I was very young. They rented a cabin once a summer, but we also went camping for a few weekends every summer for most of my childhood. When I have kids i'll be bringing them out as soon as possible, although I'll need to keep a close eye on them. My area is overrun with coyote's with the odd black bear and fisher tossed in there.

We started our son at ~7 months and wish we'd done earlier. It took him several nights to get used to sleeping in the tent. He's three now and LOVES camping. Our daughter was born this summer and was camping at around three weeks old. Crawling is a tough age for camping, but immobile is easy and walking is easy.

I'll echo your last statement.... Can't wait for our kiddo to be walking and mobile in a couple of months... this crawling around in the dirt and mud is difficult... :)

Storz

Explorer
My son is now 5 months old, we plan to take him camping in late March or early April for the first time!

bluefish94

We had my daughter out in the woods at less than a year old. My son will be 2 in may and has quite a few tent hours under his diaper. Let them explore ( where you can see them), get dirty and learn about nature. My daughter asks my wife and I weekly when where going camping again, she's now 5. Just remember some of the smallest things to us can fascinate a younger person for hours and I would much rather my kids be fascinated with a bug in the woods than obsessed with a video game.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Perhaps have a look at the journeys undertaken by Erin and Hig, accompanied by their toddler and baby on the Ground Truth Trekking website, here.

One of my favorites is The Chukchi Sea at Toddler Speed.

Babies and young children accompany their parents on wilderness trips around the world, be they researchers, herders, or travelers, etc, the main factors being preparedness, and whatever both parents are comfortable with, the little one's just adapt accordingly.

The blog covers taking young kids out and may also be of interest, here.

Last edited:

cruzerDave

Observer
dad n sierra 6 weeks.jpg
We took our daughter to a rustic cabin and hiking trails in the Sierra Nevada at 6 weeks! Okay, so that was mostly for mom and dad to get out of the house but I think it helped set the tone for what would be the next 10 years of her life, and today she is a fantastic adventurer. Point is, imho, sooner the better!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

dddonkey

Adventurer
We started my daughter at about 7 months and my son was camping at 2 weeks old, but we had a nice camper for them to get into and sleep.

suburbanjo

Adventurer
We have a 2, 4, 6, & 8 year old. We started them at 3 weeks. Food, water, shelter, love. You really can supply that anywear.

Side note - Even though we`re about out of diapers, wet wipes have become a camping staple for us.

VATACO

Adventurer
As soon as possible given time of year, weather, and accommodations.

I plan on having a tear drop camper before I start a family, so I expect within a month or two ill have the kiddos out on the road.

bfdiesel

Explorer
We have a 2, 4, 6, & 8 year old. We started them at 3 weeks. Food, water, shelter, love. You really can supply that anywear.

Side note - Even though we`re about out of diapers, wet wipes have become a camping staple for us.

Us too on the wet wipes.

gshock40

Ace Of None
All three of my boys AGES 8,4, and 9 mos were all started at around 2 months old, but that was in our camp trailer so they could be silenced easily (that sound weird?).
have not been on too many expo adventures with them in tow yet:)

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
It all depends on what you want to do on your trip. Sometimes the very young ones are easier to camp with than kids that are slightly older. When my son was one, we took him camping in Joshua Tree National Park. We went on all kinds of hikes with him on my back. Once they are able to get around on their own and too heavy to carry on your back all day, then you have to adapt your activities to their abilities, interests and attention span.

I have found that very young children love camping! I have camped with two year olds and they really enjoyed the whole campsite experience: setting up the tent, building the fire, roasting marshmallows etc. You just have to be very vigilant in a new environment with them since they are no longer confined by the walls of your home!

As usual with small children, be realistic about how much time you want to spend and how much you want to cover.

I think you nailed it Joash. Our boy was 14 months the first time we took him. This is for a week of mostly rustic camping. He deals with it fine but he does get a little bored riding around most of the day. I can see he will probably be less easy-going about it this year at 3. Add to thawe will probably have a 6 year old that is currently staying with us along this year. Should be interesting! At leas there are other kids around at night for tehm to play with.

Doing UPO this year Joash? Say yes. I need some photography lessons from a master!

Nevermind. I see you moved on me!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94