How young is to young to start kids camping?

mikelite80

Adventurer
We are taking our 1 month old son on his first trip to the boat next week! Of course a 50' sail boat and sailing around the harbor isn't really roughing it! We've got a Thanksgiving cabin trip planned. Don't think we will get to any real camping till he's about 9 months. But you'll probably see him on a day trip to Overland Expo in the spring!

Granted it wasnr her first trip (by far) but our 1.5 year old did great camping for 10 nights on a 16 night trip.

ezy3egud.jpg

And of course her big sister, who has been camping for 7 years now, took things in stride too. She proved to be an awesome big sister too. This pick was taken in Yellowstone.
y5usenyz.jpg

mesha

Observer
Kids don't care at all when they are born if you take them camping. They could fall out of the womb on the snow and be fine with it. It is harder on the parents. People that say, "My kids are just too young to camp". Really mean. "I am too lazy to take my kids camping until they are older". :p

Kids don't care at all when they are born if you take them camping. They could fall out of the womb on the snow and be fine with it. It is harder on the parents. People that say, "My kids are just too young to camp". Really mean. "I am too lazy to take my kids camping until they are older". :p

THIS!

Splash

This could be said for a lot more things than just camping.

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
The perfect age it take your kids camping is their current age. As long as they have food, clothing, a warm bed, and some activities, they are happy. I started taking my kids when they were 1 & 3 years old. They are now 11 and 13 years and still enjoy it as much as ever.

matfield

We went camping in France for 3 weeks with our 4 month old... She's 3 now and we still camp when we can. Like everything with young kids, it's all about preparation. The amount of work doesn't ever change... Just the demands... Instead of steam sterilizers and nappies it's toys and her favorite DVD for those REALLY long drives!

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
This is a fun thread to read. It's nice to read about other families experiences. I think it's a lot easier to take kids when they are young because they do not know what they are missing. Toddlers will not be texting or updating their Facebook pages every hour. We have been family camping almost 13 years. We never bothered to ask anyone if taking a baby was okay.

10808399815_6a1682ed79_b.jpg

10808713216_e0c9dbccef_b.jpg

7192353358_48e430fc34_o.jpg

7183445942_cb105616cb_b.jpg

11920451715_c132cd9377_b.jpg

bgzachBryceCanyon.jpg

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Start them out early! Our little girl was about 5 weeks old during the first trip. We have TONS of photos of her in our RTT.

In tent.jpg

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
We just took our twin 15 month olds out for the first time last weekend. It was a great experience.
7emarehe.jpg

syzequpy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowrange2

Adventurer
8 months old during this trip.

CFW14-9672_zps1e5d79da.jpg

Inside the Pup.
CFW14-9877_zps84937f08.jpg

She was 3 months old on her first trip but I can't seem to find that picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles