Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How young is to young to start kids camping?

Default They are never to young to camp

My parents had me out camping when I was 6 months.
    We took our oldest out camping at 5 months.

Here is a pic of the family, 5yo and my 16 month old this year at 4 Corners.
    The key is not to drive all day, stop at the city park and have lunch and have camp setup by 6p. That way they can get out and explore and you can take a nap if need be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went camping with my daughter when she was 5months old, it was rather easy and relaxing.
    But when she started crawling at 6months it all stopped and at 1yr-1.5yr it's even tougher.

Taking my 2yo on his first adventure this weekend. My 4yo is a seasoned veteran at this point and I'm excited to get the little one out there.

Going out on family property, muddy roads, grassy fields, cold enough to keep snakes at bay (although we will still remain very cautious)....looking forward to great trip.

My grandfather was born in 1910. He swore he was born in a cave on the Texas/Mexico border. He lived to be 94. I bet the kids will do fine at any age.

I was out camping at 9500 feet/25 degrees with another Expo member and his family.

They brought their 7 month along and it was great!

Jim

We have 3 boys and started the first two out early in the garage by accident, while I needed to clean and inspect my old tent for selling. It was a good way to familiarize them and talk about the do's and dont's before something we are going to rely on far away for shelter got broken or damaged. that and I threw in some camping gear mood items to get them interested children love new special things apart from the normal day to day stuff so even a scepter water container can be fun. We take very little as far as toys for them mostly plastic gardening tools and they find their own dirt it's usually in abundance. they can stay busy for hours just raking shoveling and sweeping around! Its amazing how real a mini plastic fishing rod can seem next to a lake. 1 and a half to-2 years and up is the most fun they can walk really well by then on uneven ground so less bandaids are needed.
    Last edited by onebowtiedguy; 12-21-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Default We have three

We started our first one camping at 3 months old. We took her backpacking at 6 months old. Of course we did not go too far, but we did go. We like to camp and have just always gone. The summer our oldest was three and 1/2 and our other daughter was 16 months we spent something like 15 nights in our tent. We saw Yellowstone and the Tetons and spent a weekend with the in-laws. Our kids will tell you that they would rather camp than go to Disneyland. (That is because they like camping and have never been to Disneyland). My oldest asked to go camping for her 10th birthday. So last year on March 11th, we spent a cold night out in the San Rafael Swell. They still all talk about it. Later that month my 8 yr. old daughter got a new sleeping bag for her birthday. My 8 year old daughter reminds us how tough she is because last fall she hiked into Calf Creek falls sick (she made the choice to go so don't get after me). I will be taking them all 10, 8, and 6 this weekend out to camp in the snow.

The picture with my son in diapers was from a 12 day trip through Idaho to Glacier NP. The dirty faced girls was a 5 day trip through S. Utah, and the other was a three day backpack trip. We left their brother with family.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JCMatthews; 01-11-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    Jared
    2005 Toyota Tundra
    M416

"It is not the place of outsiders to make one-size-fits-all mandates to a world of different shapes and proportions. In doing so, they create an atmosphere where pebbles are polished and diamonds dimmed."

Our youngest first went camping at 8 weeks.

Also it depends on where you are camping.

Where I live, there are too many cougars, wolves and bears around, I just don't feel safe enough to take my kids out so young..(under 2)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast