How young is to young to start kids camping?

sfsmedic

Adventurer
I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, both boys. My wife and I used to camp alot before the boys and we want to get back into this. I have no idea how old this kiddos need to be to appreciate it or not be scared or anything. I'm actually the overly worried one. I hunt so I think of what a baby crying in the woods sounds like to predators. I also know how unexpectedly bad things can turn in the outdoors and how hard that could be if we push it to early with the boys. I'd like to hear your pov's. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kraqus

Norcalwood
I would say the moment they can sleep through the night.
Being Potty trained does help too....

Benny

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I think your 9 months and 2 years nine months late respectively !

Our daughters last trip was 7 months in the oven and then after that a 3 month rug rat.

we took a portable crib and a babytent for the nights / nap

97discosd

Adventurer
I agree as soon as my 2yo could sleep through the night with out accident we were camping. She loves it and keeps asking when will we go again

sfsmedic

Adventurer
Sounds like we are right there then. The 3 year old slept through the night at 2months old. The 1 year old was revenge!!! He just now sleeps through the night consistently. I just bought a new Kodak 10x10 which gives us lots of room compared to a Coleman type family tent. The playpen fits in there with two cots and the 3 year old likes sleeping on the ground as I wake up on the weekends to find he snuck in our room and is asleep on the floor next to our bed on my side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
The sooner the better. You just might end up camping for a while at campgrounds with running water and bathrooms for a long weekend until they are older but start them young.

lostagain

Observer
Depends on the parents. 2 of my 3 started at 2 weeks old and my oldest had to wait until he was 6 months due to medical issues. it was alittle hard with them that young but was never a major issue.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Some friends of ours went camping with their premature baby, actually before the original due date! The weather was nice and they were close to civilization, but still... Mommy is a nurse and not fazed by much, BTW. :D

We dragged our 15 months old around Europe for almost four weeks this summer, and it went well. I would agree being able to sleep through the night is a big plus, especially if you're camping within earshot of other people. We had one night when he was teething and made a racket in an Italian campsite in the middle of the night. Sorry people, if you are reading this! We did everything we could think of to calm him down!

Our kids have been happy camping all different kinds of places. They are usually satisfied as long as mum and dad are within reach and seem content. The biggest limit for us have been how far we can drive in one go. Kids need their physical activity.

We started our now 4 year old twin boys at 6 weeks. Our now 6 month old daughter got a late start at about 4 months:). Start yours now and they will learn to love it! Our little guys get so excited when they figure or are told they are going camping.

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
All I can say is get out there as early and as soon as possible. The more times the better, it makes plannig trips/campouts easier and the kids will love it. I have got 3 of them; 5, 3 and 10 months and we just got back from a few days at Monache Meadow. Just remember to be flexible.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
We did a trial run with our 1 year old over the 4th of July. It went well so we leave for a week on Friday

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

fowldarr

Explorer
We started super young. I don't think any of my kids made it to six months without a night in a tent. We have spent 15 nights in the tent this summer and they complained we didn't do more.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I would say the moment they can sleep through the night.
Being Potty trained does help too....

Benny

I totally agree w/ you. 3 yr olds I have seen out w/ families camping were having a blast! Also think having playmates the same age helps. Don't forget to GPS em:D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
One of my early memories when I was probably only 4 years old was of our return from some camping destination. I don't remember where we went, but the distinct memory was me telling my family that I immediately wanted to go out on another vacation, and we were only a couple miles out from arriving at our home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles