First of all a big thanks to all the posters of which I stole/borrowed/used some ideas!
Finally got some time on my hands to build the center console. Since I hope to take tourists with me in my car on photography trips I might end up with some more electronics than others.
Key points for me were:
- limited availability of parts here in Jordan
- least intrusive mounting in the car.
In the end the console will have:
- 4 powered USB ports in front (computer parts, normally designed to fit 3.5" disk drive slot)
- 4 powered USB ports in back (computer parts, normally designed to fit 3.5" disk drive slot)
- 4 12V sockets in front
- 4 12V sockets in back
- 4 12V sockets in rear
- fuse box
- 1000W inverter
- shared hard disk
Now waiting for some electrical components coming from Holland.
The bottom part will contain:
- cupholders (standard PVC pipes)
- electronic components
In case the inverter gets too hot I intent to put a PC fan in the bottom part.
Top part can be detached to have easy access to electrical components in case something fails. I used 4 suitcase clamps, 2 on either side.
The console is mounted with one bracket using a screw from the gear and one custom bracket in the back.
Console with top
Console without top
For now I will keep the arm rest that came with the replacement chairs, but I might make the top higher in the future to include more space and an arm rest.