2012 Land Rover National Rally

mick968

Observer
Head West

We are going.I think there are a few others from St.Louis going as well.We leave Sat.Sept.29 as well.We always stop in Co. for a few days and do some flyfishing on way out.Should be great time(weather) to be in Moab.Good luck on your trek.It's one h#$% of a drive.

mick968

Observer
Trails for Everyone

If you have OE bumpers you will need to be careful with departures on some of the ledges.The driver training course they have is good warm up to the terrain regardless of how capable your vehicle is.We've done it a few times.Good luck.

cdavis3361

Observer
I'm looking for where everyone is thinking of camping? Trying to keep the fun going.

Anyone planning on a specific site?

I usually camp near Gooney Bird, off Gemini Bridges. I'm considering something else this time, since that is out of town to the north and all the staging is south of town

I wish I could go, just can't swing it. I met Jim Jenista VP Solihull Society this past Saturday at the REI garage sale. Very interesting guy to talk to and I know you guys are in for a great time. I may be able to swing a trip over to Black Bear Pass/ Telluride here in a couple of weeks. If anyone could spare a weekend hit me up and we'll see about starting a thread for a little trip up there.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I'm looking for where everyone is thinking of camping? Trying to keep the fun going.

Anyone planning on a specific site?

I usually camp near Gooney Bird, off Gemini Bridges. I'm considering something else this time, since that is out of town to the north and all the staging is south of town

I wish I could be there, going with my local 4x club the week before.

You can camp in area BFE but have to provide your own facilities. They just ask for a donation in the box at the entrance. I boondocked there for a week spring 2011, really nice area.

I am thinking of camping in the gooney bird camp. Any recommendations?

dieselandmud

Adventurer
We will be staying at the Spanish Trail RV Park across from the arena. In-laws will be with us for the first few days and they have a 40ft coach so we can't boondock. After dinner Saturday night we are heading to Albuquerque, NM for the hot air balloon festival!

cdavis3361

Observer
I wish I could be there, going with my local 4x club the week before.

You can camp in area BFE but have to provide your own facilities. They just ask for a donation in the box at the entrance. I boondocked there for a week spring 2011, really nice area.

I am thinking of camping in the gooney bird camp. Any recommendations?

I think the first 3 campsites are best, good coverage from the other dies and easy access to climbing around. Good fire pits too. The best part of the gooney bird campground I'd the canyon is so narrow there is rarely wind at the campsites.

ajtbussen

Camping is great up at the sand flats its 5 min outside of town. Gooey bird is a great place to camp but is a fair ways from town when you have to get to the trailhead meeting at 7:30 am.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I think the first 3 campsites are best, good coverage from the other dies and easy access to climbing around. Good fire pits too. The best part of the gooney bird campground I'd the canyon is so narrow there is rarely wind at the campsites.
Excellent! Thanks for the info!

kd_walmsley

Observer
My wife and I will be there. Stop by for some coffee and pie. We are doing a bit of off-roading up through Colorado and Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park then back down to Moab. Any interest in group camping in the Moab area?

Some Dude

Adventurer
If I finish a giant work project ahead of schedule, I might drive out on Wednesday. I'd be rolling solo and probably camping at Sand Flats.

cdavis3361

Observer
I am hoping to camp at the first campground up Kane Creek Rd. if that doesn't work out I'll head up to sand flats.

Never stayed in the canyon, so thought I would give that a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles