Comeup Winches

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Warn Kool-aid again. Can't there be a winch thread without some BS warn is the best poster. I see just as many broken warn winches as any other brand out on the trail.

Thanks for posting up abouta winch option that may be of interest to some. I will research them when/if I need another winch.

Adventurer
Well, since you were the one who posted that no other winch could possibly compare to Warn (at least that's the implication of "Why oh why would you use a winch that is not a Warn?") ....

Here's a thread that goes in to discussion about winch tests in general: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65306-Four-Wheeler-mag-winch-shootout

Any any case, my opinion is based on owning and using:
Koenig King 100 PTO
Warn 8274 that I bought new in the 70's (I have three, two will be for sale at some point)
Ramsey Platinum 9000
Ramsey RE10000[/QUOTE/]

HI Anti,
I know there are other good winches out there. Superwinch and Ramsey for sure. My favorite is Warn especially the 8274 but that's me. What are not my favorites are the budget winches which I think are a waste of money and potentially dangerous. I think that many of these are used by folks who never leave the pavement and think winches look neat. They do. But they are much more.

In the case of your list, those are all TOTL units. I have no problem with any of them. You seem to not have bought into the budget movement.

Sparky

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
HI Andy,
Thanks for the reply. However, your answer is no more informative than Antichrist's comments. How good are the budget winches, I want to know? What am I getting for the many more dollars I must spend to get a TOTL winch. I am much less interested in an average winch with a good warranty than a great winch with with a good warranty. After all, being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a winch that has failed is not a good deal even if the warranty covers it. I want a winch that does not fail period. Can I get that in your budget line? In other words, what am I giving up, if anything?

Sparky

Sparky,

What are you getting for more dollars vs. the WARN VR series:

• Faster line speed
• Extreme-duty sealing
• Premium components including a faster motor, a contactor vs. solenoids, a more durable remote. These items, specifically the contactor and remote, do up the durability/reliability factor.

Let's put it this way. If I were embarking on a global expedition, and I was going to be out for days/weeks/months on end in harsh conditions, I'd recommend one of our Ultimate Performance Series winches. The sealing alone is going to help increase the winch's reliability.

The VR is our Entry Level Series winch. It fits a lot of off road enthusiasts' needs very well. But, our Ultimate Performance winches are definitely a couple of steps above the VR.

All winches can fail under the right (wrong?) circumstances—period. All I can tell you is we do a ton of engineering, design, and testing to ensure our products are as reliable as possible. Plus, if you need us, we've got a full staff of customer service folks that know our products inside and out, frontside and back and are available eight hours a day, five days a week.

We've been making winches since 1959. If we couldn't build a reliable winch, I don't think I'd be typing this.

- Andy

theksmith

Explorer
wow this entire thread went south. the only useful post here is the very first one. thank you to the OP for sharing an option that some of use may not have been aware of.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I still hold hope that we can start talking about Comeup Winches in this thread and use it as a repository for all things concerning this winch company. If needed, I'd like to start a "why do we love warn" thread.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I used the ComeUp winches a lot when I was in Asia.

They were decent winches. We found the electrics were the weak point. The remotes were not as robust, and the electrics in general were not as good (sealing, solenoids, quality of wire, etc). But overall they were a decent winch and worth the (much lower) price we were paying in Asia, since the cost of a US or UK winch in Asia was pretty high due to the shipping.

A lot of guys would buy them and then take the time to properly rewire and seal them themselves and add an Albright solenoid before putting them on their trucks. I have seen them survive pretty hard competitions like the RFC with no issues.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ray,

How long ago were you using them? Do you remember which series of winch you saw the most? I am wondering if the newer stuff that is all sealed up has taken care of the issues you saw.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I hear the newer models have addressed most of those issues. We were using the ones that looked a bit like the Superwinch EP9, this would have been around 2004-2007 I guess.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I want a winch that does not fail period.
That winch doesn't yet exist. Best you can do is go with the more proven performers. Certain Warn, certain Ramsey, certain Superwinch models. Most others manufacturers will need to have their own iconic models around for a long time to join that group. In my own opinion.
A name doesn't make a winch. 8274, Huskey 10...proven performers who have been there and done that.

Adventurer
That winch doesn't yet exist. Best you can do is go with the more proven performers. Certain Warn, certain Ramsey, certain Superwinch models. Most others manufacturers will need to have their own iconic models around for a long time to join that group. In my own opinion.
A name doesn't make a winch. 8274, Huskey 10...proven performers who have been there and done that.

HI Oil,
Are you saying that a proven track record of a given company that has consistently demonstrated excellence is meaningless? That company has a name. In this discussion the name is Warn. In this case a name certainly does make a winch, one that has proven to be excellent. Some companies are dedicated to excellence. They are defined by their name. Others, not so much. This is true for just about every product you can imagine.

For example, in the world of hi fi, my other major interest, The name Audio Research instantly implies excellence because they have been excellent for many years. Does this excellence come cheaply? No, it is quite expensive. But if you want or need excellence, a company like Audio Research is where you start. Same with Warn.

You get what you pay for.

Sparky

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
HI Oil,
Are you saying that a proven track record of a given company that has consistently demonstrated excellence is meaningless? That company has a name. In this discussion the name is Warn. In this case a name certainly does make a winch, one that has proven to be excellent. Some companies are dedicated to excellence. They are defined by their name. Others, not so much. This is true for just about every product you can imagine.

Sparky

Not saying that at all, please read it again. But, do you remember the "new" Coke formula? Great brand name(one of the best actually), flop of a product. It happens. You just have to be a diligent consumer, even with a brand name.

Scott Brady

Founder
I will say that a Come Up got me unstuck from my worst "stick" in a decade. In Iceland this spring. Not an endorsement yet, as I just don't have enough experience with them, but it did do the job the one time I connected the remote.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Some companies are dedicated to excellence.
And often overlook the small stuff. Case in point, the 8274. All three of mine use a simple 4 pole trailer connector for the controller and simple SPDT momentary toggle switch. If any part of it wears out, is damaged or just fails you can get replacements at any auto parts store for under $10. The best I can tell is the new ones are proprietary connectors that you have to get from Warn at worst and have to really search for at best.

Sangster

Adventurer
HI Oil,

For example, in the world of hi fi, my other major interest, The name Audio Research instantly implies excellence because they have been excellent for many years. Does this excellence come cheaply? No, it is quite expensive. But if you want or need excellence, a company like Audio Research is where you start. Same with Warn.

Sparky

You must have reading problems. You said you want a winch that does not fail period. He replied that winch doesn't exist yet. Guess what? Even the beloved 8274 has had failures. Every winch in Warn's line has had failures. Every winch from every manufacturer has had failures. So he is correct......a winch that does not fail period does not exist.

Why do you continue to spew your Warn agenda in this thread that has nothing to do with Warn?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier