Comeup Winches

Adventurer
You must have reading problems. You said you want a winch that does not fail period. He replied that winch doesn't exist yet. Guess what? Even the beloved 8274 has had failures. Every winch in Warn's line has had failures. Every winch from every manufacturer has had failures. So he is correct......a winch that does not fail period does not exist.

Why do you continue to spew your Warn agenda in this thread that has nothing to do with Warn?

HI Sangster,
Well, I have to agree that there is no such thing as a fail proof winch. I was just trying to make a point. So, let me restate: I want a winch that is least likely to fail under all circumstances. The 8274 is probably the best for this definition. For my uses, I repeat, a winch is potentially a life saving tool. For this you want the best and the 8274 qualifies. It's track record speaks for itself.

I'll leave this topic now. My only purpose was to steer folks away from cheap budget winches which I think are a waste of money and potentially dangerous.

Sparky

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I'll leave this topic now. My only purpose was to steer folks away from cheap budget winches which I think are a waste of money and potentially dangerous.

Sparky

I guess I need to go in every winch thread and repeatedly tell people how I think Warn is a waste of money and see them broke just as much as other winches.

Scott Brady

Founder
In our experience, Warn winches are by far the most reliable. This is especially true with the introduction of the contacter solenoid. Warn is also the most popular winch on the trail, so by pure volume you will see some failures. Their ISO and QS certifications alone ensure excellent quality.

I do see the Come Up winches as a different animal and one certainly worth testing and investigating. We will try to do this and report. They make many of the Superwinch models, and that says something.

I believe the critical point is that you MUST trust the winch, at least by earned reputation. A winch is a safety device and you would be better off not buying the "Champion" at all than have it on your truck. It instills a false sense of security.

We had a Come Up winch on the Land Cruiser we used to cross the largest glacier in Europe.
comeup_ (2).jpg

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Scott,

Thank you for bringing a nice level perspective to this thread. I would love to see your team do a full on test of the comeup DV and Seal line. It looks like the one in your pictures is the DV line which is indeed the exact winch that was branded as the Superwinch EPi and is the one I am currently running.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Add a video I found on Youtube of their Factory and some wheeling across the pond to the original post and here.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Wow, the zealotry of the Warn owners on this thread really reminds me of the zealotry of Mac owners and would certainly put me off if I was currently in the market. Fortunately I'm not. As a non-Warn owner, I should give kudos on how Warn has tried to clear up any possible warn misconceptions in a level headed way.

As for the Come Up winches, I too am interested in learning about them even though I'm not currently in the market. I suspect that many if not most winches are probably made by just a few Chinese manufacturers and some are probably simply being copied since copyrights aren't exactly enforced there. Getting to understanding who makes what versus who OEM's what is always interesting for me so I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Come Up line.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I think some are confusing Warn brand die hards with those of us who like certain Warn models. Along with my 8274 and my XD9000 I'd love to have a Superwinch Husky or my friend's Ramsey worm drive 12K. Comeup may have a fine product but I'm not aware of any legendary or iconic model that they manufacture. Brand loyalty for the sake of the brand is foolish.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I wonder where their biggest market is? Does Superwinch OEM their winches from them or are they simply clones as are so many products there?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'd love to have a Superwinch Husky or my friend's Ramsey worm drive 12K. Comeup may have a fine product but I'm not aware of any legendary or iconic model that they manufacture.
A RE12000 just sold on the Portland craigslist for $600. A pretty good price I'd say. Though $1100 for a new one isn't bad at all.

emmodg

Adventurer
We have used almost every "popular" winch on the market on the almost 20 trucks in our fleet. Warn and Superwinch have proved to be the toughest but that's not saying much when you train sometimes 20 days a month, month after month.

ALL, I repeat, ALL winches can and will fail when not used correctly and monitored during there use. Heat, ugly line-wrap, and shock loading, and a disregard for duty cycle have killed many-a-winch from our Warns to our Superwinchs'. Ingested water and mud have been a big winch killer as well. (The new Talons have Gore valves and IP67 standards but water is the universal solvent and has and will penetrate a winch gear box, motor and solenoid box. We've replaced Talon solenoids and have had enough water and mud in a Warn to sink a ship!)

It is a matter of "trust in reputation" I suppose but it's the use and care given to any winch that insures the winch lives up to that reputation. (I have a D1 that's had an old Mile Marker on it for 6 years now and it has NEVER caused me a problem; however, it doesn't get used nearly as much as the Talons on our training trucks which have had solenoids and controllers replaced.)

"Who makes the best winch? Warn or Superwinch?" - discussions are akin to the age old argument - "Who's the greatest rock drummer? Bonham or Moon?" Fact is both manufacturers produce a great product. How you use them and take care of them is up to you. (By the way, John Bonham is the greatest drummer.)

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I wonder where their biggest market is? Does Superwinch OEM their winches from them or are they simply clones as are so many products there?

Superwinch and Comeup had an exclusive manufacturing/distribution deal on the EP line. I'm guessing that deal is now over as winches like the EP line are popping up all over the place under different names. I don't know if it was Superwinch that designed it and asked Comeup to make it, or if Comeup designed and asked if Superwinch wanted to put their name on it.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Superwinch and Comeup had an exclusive manufacturing/distribution deal on the EP line. I'm guessing that deal is now over as winches like the EP line are popping up all over the place under different names. I don't know if it was Superwinch that designed it and asked Comeup to make it, or if Comeup designed and asked if Superwinch wanted to put their name on it.

Hmmm, I winder what if they did anything to reduce the cost like changing in the materials or design that could have also compromised the quality/longevity?

It would be neat to understand who's making the popular US winches (Warn, Superwinch, MileMarker, Ramsey, HF, etc.) and which other brands may be selling those same winches?(with minor changes)?

Yes, I included HF among them since as bad a reputation that they may have here, many are still purchasing and using them.

Of course, I'm sure this info may not be public and for good reason (as far as the major brands are concerned). :ylsmoke:

The Rover Shop

Explorer
HMMM, Warn..Superwinch, come up etc etc etc..blah blah blah...I have a Husky Superwinch on the front..a mile marker on the rear and a griphoist tirfor as a backup manual system... I don't need any of them coz I drive a LAND ROVER... now thats the best 4x4 out there...and as far as a drummer...definitely sheila E was the best..I could watch her for hours on end..:drool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier