Comeup Winches

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Does anyone run these?

http://www.comeupwinch.com/

Here is a blurb I found about them. I have never heard of them, but they sound interesting. I especially like the built in wireless option.

You may not recognize the brand name, but ComeUp winches have been been in the US for quite a while. They have been exclusively re-branded and sold under another major US winch companies brand name. We have been running these winches for 7-8 years now - and many of you have too.

Now they are here under their own brand name and we are stoked! They also brought over their Seal line of winches which are a step up on the DV's that were being re-branded.

ComeUp is based just outside of Portland Oregon - with full service and repair being done at their facility. (This is ComeUp, NOT an importer middle man)

ComeUp Seal 9.5RSi:
- Fully Seal'd and submersible
- 9,500#'s capcity
- 100' of Synthetic Line & Aluminum Fairlead
- External Brake system - Heat dissipates outside the drum(great for synthetic lines)
- Wireless Remote Control Built In
- Thermal Overload Indicator
- One of the Lowest Amp draws
seal95rsi.jpg

e32daf5e-71f5-45a2-a665-7d2afcd5fe69_20120601025036.jpg

I have to say their DV-9 looks a lot like the Superwinch ep9.0.

062e8301-0004-4fbb-b329-c27ec533b221_20110208100012.jpg

Here are the DV's in black. I'd say they are absolutely the same the Superwinch Ep line just with different stickers.

Winches.jpg

Here is a video I found on Youtube of their Factory and some wheeling across the pond.

Attachments

• 062e8301-0004-4fbb-b329-c27ec533b221_20110208100012.jpg
    062e8301-0004-4fbb-b329-c27ec533b221_20110208100012.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,571
Last edited:

Adventurer
HI,
Boy, I hate to throw water on others ideas. But I do have an opinion here. Why oh why would you use a winch that is not a Warn? I see a winch as an emergency recovery tool. It has to work all the time, every time, under any circumstance. I think Warn fits this description. They certainly have for me over the years. While I sometimes will try a product that I know little about once in a while, a winch is not one.

I have never heard of this brand. And I have been involved with various forums for over ten years. There have been countless threads on winches. Most folks are trying to save money so they tend towards the budget bands. When their judgement is questioned, they typically respond that they have not had trouble yet. When questioned in depth, its clear that they do not consider their winch to be a emergency recovery tool. Rather it is neat looking toy. These are also folks that always wheel in a pack. They always have help available. In my case I almost always wheel alone. I must be self sufficient. For that, I'm willing to pay the big bucks for a winch that will not fail. I must. It could be a matter of life and death.

Sparky

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
What is their pricing? I don't see that or distributors listed. Looks like it is a China or Taiwan winch? The only price I did find listed that one at $880. I think there are other options I would consider first at that price point.

I am not a "Warn diehard" and have had great results using other brands as recovery tools.

mike r

Adventurer
Outline of the Company

Company Profile
Name of the company : COMEUP INDUSTRIES INC.
Head Office :No.112, Nanyang St., Xizhi Dist., New Taipei City 22152, Taiwan
Director President :S. J. Huang
Establish :August. 8, 1975
Paid-up Capital :NT$ 300,000,000 (January 1st, 2008)
Employ :85 in Xizhi factory ( Production Department 58, R&D Department 7, Administration Department 7, Sales Department 13 )
Bank Reference :
Bank of Taiwan, Nan Kan Branch
Mega International Commercial Bank Co.,Ltd., Neihu Science Park Branch
Hua Nan Commercial Bank. Ltd, Chang Shu Wan Branch
Factory Sites & Building
Xizhi :Sites 2,000m2 Buildings 7,0002
Ningbo:Sites 1,900m2 Buildings 1,4002
Shanghai:Sites 9,900m2 Buildings 5,0002
OEM Cooperation
Baby Winch :Toyo Koken K.K.
Keeper :Toyo Koken K.K.
Heavy Duty Hoist :Furukawa Co., Ltd
Hydraulic Recovery Winch :Miller Industries
Compact Winch :planeta-Hebetechnik GmbH
Quality Approval
The Symbol of Excellent in Taiwan
TUV ISO 9001:2008
CE Marking
FCC
History of the Company

Founded in 1975 by S.J. Huang, Chuan Phang Ent. Co. Ltd. began sales of electric winches. Originally based in Taipei, Taiwan, in 1977, it started the manufacturing of electric winches in a pioneering facility; Chuan Phang was specialized in full production of a wide range of electric winches with lifting capacities of 80 - 5,000 kg throughout 1980s. Chuan Phang branding quickly became the leading brand and also got a lion share in TAIWAN.

Not only did the company keep adding new items to its product range but also took lead in Taiwan to equip themselves with the first FMS (Flexible Manufacturing System) from Mori Seiki Japan. In 1996, the company contracted with a long-standing relationship with Toyo Koken K.K. in Japan for production of all arrester?with arresting distance from 15, 20, 25 meters each. Continuing to innovate its product range, the CWL series winch were awarded the symbol of Excellence in Taiwan in 1998. To enlarge worldwide product distribution, in 2004 the company changed its name to COMEUP Industries Inc. and set up the first branch factory in Ningbo, China. In the same year, the company received DNV ISO9001 International Quality Certificate and also launched full production of automotive winch including self-recovery winch, utility winch and trailer winch with line pull of 1,500 - 15,000 lb.

Back in 2001, all COMEUP automotive winches had CE Marking approved. Also COMEUP filed the CBS (Cone Brake Structure) patent in U.S., U.K., Germany, Taiwan, China, etc.

During 2001 to 2005, COMEUP introduced more products to the winch market and also extended products to four main categories: Automotive, ATV/UTV, Industrial and AC Winch. COMEUP products, providing firm lifting and pulling capabilities, have been enabling customers in various industries to perform profound operations in the construction, utility, energy and recovery markets. Meanwhile, COMEUP products are widely trusted and proved by winching professionals and have established win-win relationships with many strategy partners, such as

Toyo Koken K.K. in Japan for baby winch and compact winch used as a service and maintenance hoist for material handling
Furukawa Co, Ltd in Japan for heavy duty hoist
Superwinch Inc. in U.S. and U.K. for automotive winch
Planeta Hebetechnik Gmbh in Germany for compact winch used as a service and maintenance hoist for wind turbines.

In 2004, having continued the rapid expansion of its strong business, COMEUP Industries opened its second branch factory in Shanghai, China to enlarge the production facilities of ATV/UTV winch and automotive winch.

In 2009, COMEUP ATV/UTV winch received the certification of EEC Directive 97/24/EC Chapter 8 from RDW in Netherlands. COMEUP hydraulic recovery winch also received the certification of compliance with the SAE J706 standard from TUV Rheinland, then COMEUP certified by TUV NORD according to ISO 9001:2008 in the same year.

Furthermore, COMEUP wireless remote control both received CE and FCC Marking approved in 2010. In the same year, COMEUP also announced the brand new logo with " Work Tough, Play Tough" slogan to extend its product portfolio of Smart and Tough winches to customers with continued leadership in design, innovation and quality. For the time being, COMEUP winches have been distributed more than 60 countries throughout 5 continents. COMEUP offers consumers worldwide the most reliable, high performance winching products and is one of the world's most recognized names for "the ultimate winching solution".

Adventurer
HI All,
There are only two factors that I consider with a winch. First, what is its long term reputation? Second, how will it perform for me? Cost is never a factor except that I would rather pay more for guaranteed quality.

For these reasons I have a Warn 8274 on my YJ and a Warn XD9000 on my JKU Jeeps. Both of these winches have outstanding and long term track records with nary a detractor.

The information presented above says nothing to me that is in the slightest persuasive. From my point of view, this is just another off brand, budget winch that i would not consider for my life saving tool.

Often it is not a good good idea to be an early adopter. But it's your money and your life.

Sparky

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I actually don't think I asked why anyone would choose X-brand, only if anyone had used one of these. I am not even in the market for a winch and have been running Superwinch from day one and plan on keeping it that way. I refuse to put on a pair of blinders and never look at anything else just based on brand loyalty. There is always going to be someone or something that can be better. Having an origin other than the US does not mean that it is of lesser quality. People don't seem to be bashing Warns new VR line from China, and there should be a separate thread about that too. All I wanted to do was share a new product on the market to hopefully share knowledge and give people even more choices.

We can and should have another thread to discuss why only a Warn or Superwinch or X-brand should be used. Please let's keep this thread about rumors and facts about this brand.

As for pricing here is the only place I can find that currently sells them. It is from Rokmen out of Highlands Ranch, CO.

http://www.rokmen.com/all-products-1/recovery/winches.html

lovetoski

Observer
Company has been around for 37 years. Some great products are made in Taiwan. Beo is right - lets judge based on facts.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I'm not at all familiar with them, but noticed they have a lifetime warranty. That's always a good thing.

Boy, I hate to throw water on others ideas. But I do have an opinion here. Why oh why would you use a winch that is not a Warn?
Maybe because there are a number of Winch manufactures and there are quite a few winches on the market that are better than many of the Warn models.

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
come up winches have been in Australia for years, they have a good reputation here, the only issue we have found is there width some bars they won't fit in.

Adventurer
Company has been around for 37 years. Some great products are made in Taiwan. Beo is right - lets judge based on facts.

HI,
We have no facts. Just a collection of hearsay. Some credibility would be gained if the winch had participated in some of the very rigorous winch tests that have been published. That would be a start.

Sparky

Adventurer
I'm not at all familiar with them, but noticed they have a lifetime warranty. That's always a good thing.

Maybe because there are a number of Winch manufactures and there are quite a few winches on the market that are better than many of the Warn models.

HI Anti,
Yes, I am bothered by Warn diving into the budget market. But, I think this reflects the business reality of the current market. I think you should be much more specific concerning your claims about Warn. For example, do you have real evidence that the budget Warn winches are inferior to, say, Smitty Built or others of that ilk? Or, for that matter, Warns own totl models. You should be able to point to test results. I have not seen any. So, I'm not arguing with you but you really should be able to quote data before denigrating Warn with such general statements.

Personally, I believe that you always get what you pay for. That Warn is now competing in the budget market begs the question of how are they getting the savings. I'm afraid they are cutting corners in budget line order to be competitive. As a consequence, one comes to one of several possible conclusions. First, their top of the line winches are way over priced. Given Warn's long term reputation and competition from other top of the line manufacturers, this seems unlikely. Or, where are they cutting corners and what are the consequences with their budget line?

Since I bought my XD9000 only 4 months ago, you can see that I'm not buying into their budget line.

I hope you have data because this really interests me.

Sparky

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Just to clear some things up:

In terms of the VR line, these winches have different motors, remotes, finishes, have a bit shorter lengths rope (on wire-equipped VRs), and use solenoids instead of an Albright contactor (compared to the M8000, etc.). These bits help save manufacturing costs. In addition, there simply isn't as much margin on the products for us. These winches were designed and engineered and tested by Warn Industries, and are not a private label deal. (e.g. they are NOT just designed by some winch company and we slap our name on it). We fully stand behind the VR winches with the same warranty and customer service as our most expensive winches.

- Andy

Adventurer
Just to clear some things up:

In terms of the VR line, these winches have different motors, remotes, finishes, have a bit shorter lengths rope (on wire-equipped VRs), and use solenoids instead of an Albright contactor (compared to the M8000, etc.). These bits help save manufacturing costs. In addition, there simply isn't as much margin on the products for us. These winches were designed and engineered and tested by Warn Industries, and are not a private label deal. (e.g. they are NOT just designed by some winch company and we slap our name on it). We fully stand behind the VR winches with the same warranty and customer service as our most expensive winches.

- Andy

HI Andy,
Thanks for the reply. However, your answer is no more informative than Antichrist's comments. How good are the budget winches, I want to know? What am I getting for the many more dollars I must spend to get a TOTL winch. I am much less interested in an average winch with a good warranty than a great winch with with a good warranty. After all, being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a winch that has failed is not a good deal even if the warranty covers it. I want a winch that does not fail period. Can I get that in your budget line? In other words, what am I giving up, if anything?

Sparky

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I hope you have data because this really interests me.
Well, since you were the one who posted that no other winch could possibly compare to Warn (at least that's the implication of "Why oh why would you use a winch that is not a Warn?") ....

Here's a thread that goes in to discussion about winch tests in general: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65306-Four-Wheeler-mag-winch-shootout

Any any case, my opinion is based on owning and using:
Koenig King 100 PTO
Warn 8274 that I bought new in the 70's (I have three, two will be for sale at some point)
Ramsey Platinum 9000
Ramsey RE10000

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles