Comeup Winches

paranoid56

Adventurer
well someone finally read the fine print and saw these where manufactured in communist china not Taiwan. if you all think it's ok to send your money to them what can I say, a lot of you support the sierra club and earth first. ignorance is bliss. highdesertranger

posted via a Chinese computer lol you commie

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
China hasn't been communist since 5 minutes after Mao died and the Mandarins came out of the woodwork.

Carl Palmer.

Box Rocket

Bumping an old thread. I believe these have grown in popularity over the last couple of years and I'm guessing there are a few more people running Come Up winches these days. I'm currently looking at the DV9S (synthetic rope) sealed winch, and I'm looking for opinions. I already know there is a whole group that says Warn or nothing. If that's your stance, thanks but move along. I've had Warn in the past and have zero complaints, but that doesn't stop me from looking at other options. I'm looking for feedback from anyone with actual firsthand knowledge/experience with these.

TLC Norway

I think I have posted before in this thread, with good experience from years of use with a 24v dv9. I have outperformed quite a few wheeling friends here, both with 12 and 24 volt winches.
Not scientific research, but we had different brands, different batteries and different alternators, 12vs24 volt, going the same hills.
Many variations, but most of us agreed the comeup did overall best that day.
National army at a base near me only uses this setup in their gelendewagen and lc105 , 7x series and prados.

I've been very satisfied, if I were to go with something else, I'd go with a warn 8274.
I've owned t-max, warn, smittybuilt, oem pto and I'm on my second comeup.

I'll see if I can dig up some if my winching videos on YouTube.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

I picked up my new ComeUp SEAL 9.5s Gen2 winch over the weekend while I was in Moab. Also got to chat for quite a while with Ben Huang (President of ComeUp). I bought the winch through ZbV Adventure Gear so it wasn't anything to do with Ben directly, but after talking with him, I was convinced even more that I made a great choice. Ben is totally committed to providing the best winches on the market. He knows that Warn is the big kid on the block when it comes to winches. I've had a couple Warn's in the past and there's no denying their reliability which is key IMO, but from everything I've seen so far ComeUp is every bit as good as a Warn (if not better) in terms on quality and reliability. Time will be the true test for long-term durability but I'm confident that these are winches that will hold up to some extreme conditions for a long, long time. Just one guy's opinion but for a long time the consensus with winches has generally been "warn or nothing", I don't think that's the case anymore.

Box Rocket

Forgot to share some photos of my recent install of the COMEUP Seal 9.5s into my modified ARB bumper on my FZJ80. Really impressed with the quality of these winches. Also picked up a Factor 55 ProLink from AJIK Overland

TLC Norway

Cool, looks like you have modded the bumper higher, added a skid?
What it's the texture/paint on the bumper?

Box Rocket

Cool, looks like you have modded the bumper higher, added a skid?
What it's the texture/paint on the bumper?

Yes the bumper had been modified a bit by the previous owner back when I bought my '93 FZJ80 in 2000. I did a few more small mods and cleaned it up some. I ran it for the last 14 years on my '93 until I got this new '95 in December and moved it onto this truck. The powder coating had taken a beating and so I stripped it down and repainted it. There was some minor rust pitting on the face of the bumper that I wanted to cover up somehow and I had a bunch of scrap pieces of Carbon Fiber vinyl that I put on the front of the bumper. That's the texture you see.

Box Rocket

The SEAL GEN2 9.5 will fit an unmodded ARB bumper. The "normal" ARB bumper as feet forward mounting so you would need to clock the winch motor 90* so the free spool handle is pointed up but otherwise it should fit fine. My bumper had been modded when I got it and didn't have any winch mounting so I needed to weld in a new winch cradle. That at least gave me the ability to have feet down mounting.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Just curious, you said you've had WARNs before, know the quality, and have had no troubles, so why go out and try something different? Just because? They seem to be at the same price point.

Box Rocket

Just curious, you said you've had WARNs before, know the quality, and have had no troubles, so why go out and try something different? Just because? They seem to be at the same price point.

If this questions is directed to me, yes I've had a couple Warn winches in the past. I had a M8000 on a Toyota pickup and an 8274-50 on my FJ40. I loved the 8274. The M8000 wasn't quite as good and for some reason had corrosion problems with the finish and line speed was slower. This time around I looked at other options because the 8274 would not fit in my Land Cruiser without serious bumper modification. I considered the M12000, as well as models from several other companies. I had seen a few ComeUp winches in person and they looked nice so I started doing a little research. The thing that stood out to me was the quality sealed electricals. If you look at any reviews of winches in general, the complaints almost always stem from the electrical having problems usually because of water intrusion. Issues like that tend to show up at the most inconvenient times when you need the winch most. The ComeUps had a great reputation in that area, and a winch is something I think you want total confidence in. Another winch I had considered was the TJM Stealth series because of some of the reviews I'd read about their contactor box and sealed solenoids. But the ComeUp winches were looking like the standout in terms of reliability, faster line speed, and the one I was looking at came with 100' of Synthetic rope for a price that was cheaper than a comparable Warn with a wire rope, which would cost another couple hundred bucks to switch to synthetic.
I called several different vendors of the different brands and all of them that had any experience with ComeUp were very complimentary. Christo Slee at Slee Offroad was even dropping the TJM line he carried and replacing it with ComeUp because he felt it was a much superior winch. So from my research and the feedback I was getting from actual users and vendors the ComeUp looked like it would be a top quality, reliable option at a good price for a premium winch.
I guess I'm of the mindset that just because one product is good, it doesn't mean that a different product might not be equal or even better. I know Warn's reputation, but felt like a ComeUp would be at least as good at a good price and I'm ok with trying something different from everyone else. Now that I've had the ComeUp for a short while, I can say that the quality is top notch, every bit as good as any Warn I've seen. The protection from moisture is still a strong selling point for me because it points to better reliability. The Warn Zeon is one of the premium level Warn winches that would be comparable to the ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5rs that I have. The Zeon is more money for about the same features, the ComeUp has a linespeed that is almost twice as fast. Seemed like a pretty clear choice to me.
Lastly, for me it was significant that company's I respect and trust who are actually using their vehicles in conditions where winching is common were using ComeUp winches on their own vehicles. Companies like Cruiser Outfitters/Land Cruisers Direct, Slee, Arctic Trucks to name a few, gave me enough confidence to try something other than Warn. No regrets at all at this point. I have nothing against Warn, but in my short experience I'm confident that the ComeUps are a legitimate competitor at the top of the winch food chain. Hope that answers your question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne