M1008A1 and a Bethany camper.

cocco78

Adventurer
My new "expo" setup. I picked up this 08 from GL a few months back and pretty much only changed or topped off oil and fluids. Its far from perfect but everything works and it runs and drives pretty good with the 37's. I also picked up this Bethany camper for $200 and ended up building a new roof for it and repairing a lot of water damage. But we just got back from a 500 mile trip around the UP of MI on the 2012 UP Overland trip, and it worked pretty good. Even with as heavy as this truck was with the camper it floated over the deepest sand without much trouble and ended up being a recovery truck for some that were having trouble. Its FAR from being finished, I actually was working on it each night at camp! But I think with a little more work it could be a great setup. I plan on keeping it as low budget as possible and also as simple as possible.

somewhat of a build thread here: http://www.upjeeping.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126

431451_3876797557544_1637088582_n.jpg

561831_3876380827126_1092574457_n.jpg

603380_3876624113208_722961406_n.jpg

FellowTraveler

Explorer
My new "expo" setup. I picked up this 08 from GL a few months back and pretty much only changed or topped off oil and fluids. Its far from perfect but everything works and it runs and drives pretty good with the 37's. I also picked up this Bethany camper for $200 and ended up building a new roof for it and repairing a lot of water damage. But we just got back from a 500 mile trip around the UP of MI on the 2012 UP Overland trip, and it worked pretty good. Even with as heavy as this truck was with the camper it floated over the deepest sand without much trouble and ended up being a recovery truck for some that were having trouble. Its FAR from being finished, I actually was working on it each night at camp! But I think with a little more work it could be a great setup. I plan on keeping it as low budget as possible and also as simple as possible.

somewhat of a build thread here: http://www.upjeeping.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126

Nice setup!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
:Wow1: Great combination! That will really look cool once you get the camper painted to match the truck. I’ve tried several times to purchase these trucks and Blazers from GL but never had much luck. Glad to see someone has. Looking forward to more updates on your project. Nice work!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Glad to see one of those old military rigs set up for some Expo time. Looks like a cool rig Cocco78. Keep us updated with lots of pics. Cheers, Chilli.:)

cocco78

Adventurer
The 08 even rides pretty good with the camper, gear, and airing down the 37's to 25psi. I've gotten several things from GL at Fort McCoy in Sparta, WI. But the trucks and blazers are getting hard to to get, the quantity available is going way down and prices are going up. Just about the only way to get these is through private parties and honestly its probably MUCH easier, but less fun :) I don't plan on any huge cross country stuff, the UP of MI can easily keep you busy and off pavement for a week at a time. So far the only upgrades I have made to the truck are the 37's and 1 single 12v power outlet in the cab, I do plan on a few more wiring upgrades but nothing crazy. I constantly get people coming up to me and asking about the truck and camper, mostly ex military guys and that usually involves some cool stories about stuff they did with these trucks. I'll make sure to keep this updated, but if you want to see the UP overland trip I took check out http://www.upoverland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1881

523105_4148638989251_1351604559_n.jpg

Prybry

Adventurer
We could start our own select club!

Hey Mark,
you got it to fit!
What year camper is that?
I thought my camper 'needed a little work' but that ones rough.
You've done a crazy amount of work to bring that camper back to life!
Great work!
I love seeing these antiques being brought back to service.
And the truck really suits it. Way better match than my power wagon!
Looking forward to seeing you on the trail.

By the way.
I'm joining a group on a trail ride up along the northshore the 13th through the 16th of September.
It would be great to see you up there if you are free.
We could be the Pickupper Expedition group!

Good luck at any rate, let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Brian

Last edited:

cocco78

Adventurer
Hey Mark,
you got it to fit!
Brian

Well, I asked for the dimensions to see it it would fit in my army trailer, and it did but just barely. I'll have to make some small mods to the trailer to get it to fit in there better. I'd like to have it in the trailer so I can drop the trailer/camper at a central camping location and still have my Grand Cherokee to run around and explore.

548207_3649888684964_1075532958_n.jpg

But it fits nice in the truck and well you know how well it fits through the woods! No idea on the year, late 70's judging by the floral pattern on the fabric. I've found several other campers over MN that were in great shape but were sold out from under me before I could pick them up. I found this gem for $200 and its only saving grace was that the exterior fabric and screens were in absolutely perfect shape! So I gutted it and rebuilt the floor and both sides, basically everything below the bedrails is rebuilt, oh and a new roof. The interior isn't done yet but we need to figure out what supplies we want to carry and organize some storage solutions before I build any real storage inside. But its been great so far and I pretty much can't go anywhere without people commenting on the truck or the weird old camper :ylsmoke:

No expo travel over the long weekend, we stayed in one spot for 3 days and traveled with the dirtbikes!
547183_405426619518529_1649670790_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94