fall foliage - destinations and recommendations

haven

Expedition Leader
Autumn is just around the corner (in the northern hemisphere, at least!). Do you have a favorite destination/route to experience and photograph Fall foliage?

Here are a few of my favorites.

Last Dollar Road, north of Telluride CO to the Dallas Divide on CO 62
This road is mostly dirt, with one section crossing a rock slide
Nice opportunities to photograph aspens and split rail fences with Mt Wilson as the background

Kebler Pass, west of Crested Butte CO on Gunnison County Road 12 to CO 133
this gravel road follows an old railroad grade up to 10,000 feet
the large aspen grove on the way up to the pass is supposed to be the single largest living organism in Colorado
(an aspen grove is multiple shoots off the same root system, hence one organism)

Utah Rt 12 from Torrey to Escalante, UT
paved state highway goes across Boulder Mountain
lots of unpaved side roads to explore

US 395 between Bishop and Lee Vining, CA
I usually drive to Convict Lake and June Lake, and explore the rocky trails in the area

cruisertoy

Explorer
I noticed some foilage changes in the Scrub Oak already this weekend as I was out and about here in Utah. It's doing to be a quick one this year.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I love to photograph the aspens in the La Sal Mountains outside Moab. The grand views aren't quite as dramatic as those in the San Juans and elsewhere in the Rockies but almost no one goes up there to photograph the fall color. Aspens, a few maples and scrub oak all combine to create a riot of color.

Other than that, the San Juans are always amazing. Aspen and Crested Butte area are fantastic. Zion National Park, cottonwoods in Grand Staircase Escalante and Capitol Reef, aspens in the Tetons - all awesome places I love to photograph in autumn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles