M416 Resto-mod

jeeperwilly

The wisdomless wander
I've been the on hunt for a trailer the past 6 or so months. This stems from the my last trip out to Moab and Co. Three grown men for 10 days all packed in TJ is just a little two tight....ok way to tight.

IMG_1660.jpg

I've been able to do long trips by myself by using a backpackers mantra mixed with a jeepers needs. Kind of like the Blitzkrieg of camping....light, fast, and small. This last trip brought to light that I need a little more storage if my wife was ever to come along one of these years or if I'm to enlighten any more friends or family.

So my bright idea was to find a trailer. By chance I ran across a trailer at a local auction site and picked it up. With out any further ado, in all of its camo glory, my 1967 Stevens M416....

2012-07-26_12-34-27_782.jpg

2012-08-19_15-45-25_522.jpg

The plan is to restore/modify the trailer to my needs. I'd like to make all the modifications removable or reversible so if by chance some day I can find a CJ2A I can bring it back to near stock condition to match the jeep. With that said, anything that gets replaced or removed I'll be hanging onto.

The plan is to get 33's under it, a cover made, possibly extend tounge and add a trail coupler(you know the fancy ones), strip/blast the body and frame, repaint body to a dark kahki with the orininal miltary markings repainted on, bed will be bedlined, frame will get coated with Rust Seal then top coated either black or same kahki. Possibly I'll swap out the axle to get a 5x4.5 rim on it but for now I'll keep the original axle untill I start pulling it apart later this fall.

Current goal is get it reliable and streetable, so begins.......

Work Day 1:

Yesterday I pulled the wheels and popped the axle caps. Added some grease which helped immensely. Also pulled the one remaining original tail light and replaced it with a set of submersible LEDs. I think down the line I'll move the LEDs higher up on the body using the side marker holes for mounting and making a new bracket. But for now they will just be mounted to the old brackets.

For now its all ready to go down the road. Thinking about heading to the junkyard Friday and looking for some cheap steelies for the tires that a friend snagged me(FREEBEE, woohoo!). I plan on making its maiden voyage in a couple weeks to a local wheeling park.

I'm hopeing to make this a budget build, but we'll see how long that lasts thou. I'm torn on a bunch of things like a SOA swap or just getting a new axle with the bolt pattern I want. Also the top is whats going to kill the funds. Still have to figure out the materials that'll be used but I have a great design thanks to a buddy at work. Hopefully more to come in the following weeks.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Welcome to the M416 world. Just like the jeeps, the project never ends and the money keeps disappearing.

All that being said, there are some great ideas on here that cost very little money, just labor.

Post lots of pictures so we can "borrow" any good ideas you come up with.

Matt

Adventurer
Looks like its in great shape, nice score! How much was it?
Post lots of pics of the build!!

jeeperwilly

The wisdomless wander
Looks like its in great shape, nice score! How much was it?
Post lots of pics of the build!!

Picked it up for $350. The rust is all surface and not to bad. The tub is 90% straight with the back pushed in about an inch. From what I've seen I'll only have (4) 1/4" holes to fill in the tub that were drill for drainage, which was weird considering both drains work just fine on the trailer?

Now here's a question for you guys, whats the best way to bring the data plates back to life? The main data plate on the back of the trailer has overspary, among other things and so does the small data plate on the frame.

2012-08-19_15-47-29_405.jpg

This ones a little worse.

2012-08-19_15-48-03_81.jpg

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
That's a fantastic find for that money - I picked mine up in similar shape in the 80's for $250, so that should give you a sense of what you've got! Look forward to the build!

geocrzy

Existing under the radar
Amazing score! I paid double for one in the same shape! Looking forward to seeing your build!

Matt

Adventurer
SCORE!!!
I paid double that for the one I just got and it was only slightly better as far as rust goes, but the tires on mine are dry rotted.

Im not sure how to clean up the data plates without screwing them up more. The one on my frame was completely painted over. I thought about using paint stripper but figured it would screw up the markings on the plate also.

jeeperwilly

The wisdomless wander
Had a little time Friday and some scrap cedar from our deck so I made a small bow and dug out an old canvas tarp. It should work for the next couple weekends of camping.

2012-08-24_20-53-43_191.jpg

It shouldn't have taken as long as it did but in the middle of making the bow someone decided to go make friends with one of those cute little black and white critters......

2012-08-24_21-04-09_775.jpg

Turns out the skunk had enough friends already. Must have been friends with the porcupine that rejected her earlier this summer.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice deal on the 416. I too kept all the stock stuff, with the exception of the tires and wheels...everything else is restore-able. Looks like a nice project.

Doggy looks sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94