Propane tank inside the vehicle

AUTO360

Adventurer
So, I'm going to need propane in my Van to run a heater in winter, a stove and for one of those eccotemp showers. So, my question is, why is it bad to have a tank inside. I mean, if the tank is mounted outside the lines are still run to the inside to power the necessary items. So, leaks could develope regardless. There really is nowhere that I want a tank mounted ourside and the ones that bolt to the frame are expensive. I have a spot in the back of the Van where a tank would fit perfectly. Anyway, I personally don't see the big deal but I'm open to suggestions why it may not be a good idea.
Thanks,
Matt

Revco

Adventurer
It's illegal in some places, check your local laws. I think when they are mounted in an RV it's inside of a ventilated enclosure.

Kohburn

Adventurer
when propane tanks warm up they often offgas from the vent - that would be one reason
the other is probably more related to emergency fire personel being able to quickly disconnect it form the outside in the event of a crash etc.
if you just use the little 1lbers then you should be fine.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
You can have tanks inside the vehicle if you have them in a dedicated propane locker, a totally sealed compartment with the exception of venting at the bottom (propane is heavier than air). Do a search on "propane locker" to see how they're done.

The lines run for propane are not the biggest problem. The bigger problem is leaks at the connections. Therefore, the correct way to do propane is to put the tank in a vented locker, hook up a solenoid valve to open and close the flow, and then have the propane distribution (if any) take place in the locker so that a separate line with no intermediate connection runs to each appliance.

A lot of people don't want to use propane in their RV because of the perceived danger of explosion or fire. But if the installation is done to the proper standards, propane can be a safe and efficient fuel.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Does this apply to canisters that are not hooked up...transporting to campground for outside use.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Does this apply to canisters that are not hooked up...transporting to campground for outside use.
No, but it's important to make sure they are secure. You don't want the tanks to get dented (because some places won't refill damaged tanks) and you certainly don't want them as potential projectiles in a vehicle.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If you just use the little 1lbers then you should be fine.
FWIW, if you want to avoid worrying about propane plumbing, using one-pound disposable cylinders is the way to go. No rules to follow except common sense. And for cooking (or lighting, if you're sufficiently old school), it'll probably be practical. If you're using the cylinders for heating water or any sizable space, it can get expensive and a refillable tank (they come as small as four pounds) will likely be more cost effective.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
No, but it's important to make sure they are secure. You don't want the tanks to get dented (because some places won't refill damaged tanks) and you certainly don't want them as potential projectiles in a vehicle.

10-4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles