2006 GMC Savana 6.0L gas milage /diesel swap?

whoskis

Hey just a newb around here, been lurking for awhile. Anyways looking for a van set up, and found this nice quigley conversion this morning.....for a decent price too!, not sure on how many mile on it yet.
5L85Nb5Gc3K93L83Fdc8kd8d4f85d1e6c17e7.jpg

Its got the 6L gasser in it, not ideal, but anybody know what it would take for a diesel 7.3L or 6.0L swap?? or what kinda of milage i might expect with the 6L gas motor?

Thanks. looking forward to sponging up some 4x4 van wisdom round here

Last edited:

whoskis

ya i guess that wasn't really the helpful answer is was looking for. I think 7.3 would be a better engine over the 6L duramax (especially for veg conversion) IMO, but while were at...How much trouble would it be swapping in a duramax?

anybody with a 6L gas in their savana/express have any milage estimates.....?

cwsqbm

Explorer
ya i guess that wasn't really the helpful answer is was looking for.
I was just trying to figure out why anyone would suggest putting a 6.0L Powerstroke in anything.

The 7.3 has its advantages, but the difficulty of putting an engine in a chassis that no one else has requires a lot of skill. Its sort of the "if you have to ask, you shouldn't attempt it" kind of thing. Swapping a Duramax 6.6L could be as "simple" as finding a donor van with a diesel and swapping out the engine, associated electronics and wiring, and maybe transmission. The van setup is a bit different than the trucks, as the trucks run an Allison transmission that won't fit in a van.

There are WVO kits available for the Duramax, but running WVO isn't for everyone. There's a bit more to using it than just filling it up and turning the key.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Of the numerous issues that I see with this idea, these are a few of the biggest;

1. Legally, you cannot swap in an older model engine than the model year of the recipient vehicle. So, no 7.3 in a 2006 anything.

2. Electronics would be a nightmare! How would you get all the different computers to talk to each other?

3. Costs would soar astronomically as you tried to source all the parts for the conversion.

There are so many Ford vans out there that already have diesel engines with excellent aftermarket support for 4 wheel drive conversions. That would be the route I would take, rather than trying to make a gasser a diesel. Diesel motors are not cheap. You could do an entire 4x4 conversion for the cost of just the donor motor, and that wouldn't include the rebuild. Forget about a new motor. I don't think that at current diesel vs. gas costs that you would ever make up the cost of an engine swap in fuel mileage savings. Even WVO costs would never make up the difference. I am talking tens of thousands of dollars for what you are proposing. Not a reasonable option, IMHO.

Brad

P.S. I figure you would get 10 to 15mpg with the 6.0 liter gasser depending on driving style and weight of vehicle. It is a decent powerplant, and I would not shy away from one.

haven

Expedition Leader
I agree with bknudtsen. Unless the van has a blown engine, the diesel swap will be way too much work, and cost too much. It will take a long, long time to recover the cost of the transplant through improved fuel economy. People do this sort of thing more to prove they can, than for any payback at the fuel pump. If you're convinced that a diesel van is what you want, then look for a van that already has a diesel under the hood.

Used ambulances are probably the most common vans with diesel engine and 4x4.

MTDewX8

Observer
I have been shopping for a while now for Vans. Found LOTS of them.
it started to get hard when I wanted a 4x4.
then they got scarce and the price was out of reach.

would love a newer Van with a 6.0 drive it till it dies then consider a swap or even replace. like said before the cost can be saved in Mods and upgrades to the rig.

good luck with your seach.

whoskis

1. Legally, you cannot swap in an older model engine than the model year of the recipient vehicle. So, no 7.3 in a 2006 anything.

Thanks, good to know
P.S. I figure you would get 10 to 15mpg with the 6.0 liter
also good
Used ambulances are probably the most common vans with diesel engine and 4x4.
yeah ive been looking at ambulances for awhile, seem like most are low miles, and quite a few good deals that are diesel/4x4, just wondering if i want to partially gut one then re-do it the way i want it. Can anybody recommend a good source for ambo's?

Ive definitely found a few 4x4 diesel rigs out there, but with the budget ive got now i think ill try to find a solid diesel, then talk to chris(ujoint) down the road...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles